No announcement yet.

Everything Bruno Caboclo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The kid is stupid.. but I'll take stupid over anybody who's not skilled. So I don't get why everyone wants to write him off. It's not like he costs a lot or that we need the roster spot.

What I do see is that he can play a position that we need depth in. We lost two PF's in Tucker and Patterson. Serge is moving to C (or at least he wants to). Poeltl, JV, and Bebe are all natural 5's too. Siakam seems to be the only depth PF that we have (or Miles if you want to play small ball). OG needs to get healthy, but even he's more like a perfect SF for this league.

Maybe he gets the opportunity but that's really Casey's domain not Masai's. And if he doesn't I doubt it will be because of his character. Lowry was an asshole too and he's our best player. James Johnson was even brought back a second time. I don't think Masai looks at character the same way a lot of people do on this board.. and I love that about him. Character is overrated. Jose had oodles of character, but I'd rather have Lowry.

Bruno is slowly developing the skill we need on this team. Physical traits aside, from what I've seen he can shoot the 3, can rebound (and wants to rebound) and block shots.. Those are pretty good skills to have for a guy making about $3M a year.. and possibly even less in his next contract.

What he needs to improve on are things that take time and maturity like defense.. which are things we just have to patience for.. like most had with DD or even Kyle. But ultimately for a cheap discount. Also we don't have a pick this year.. so it's not like we can just pull a depth PF piece out of thin air going into next season.

So I'm not writing the kid off and I hope Masai doesn't either. I personally would love to see someone that can shoot (we're desperate for shooters) and rebound (and we need those too, especially if JV is moved) hang around for awhile. Miles just got $8M a year and all he can do is shoot.

Comment

• (The Miles at the 4 idea needs to go into a bottomless pit)

Comment

• "The kid is stupid.. but I'll take stupid over anybody who's not skilled."

Bruno isn't NBA skilled yet by any means. He has NBA size and length but poor NBA IQ with possible poor attitude issues. I think I'd rather have a smart player that's not skilled but works hard and accepts his role as a end of the bench chemistry guy.

Comment

• Alex91 wrote: View Post
          "The kid is stupid.. but I'll take stupid over anybody who's not skilled."

Bruno isn't NBA skilled yet by any means. He has NBA size and length but poor NBA IQ with possible poor attitude issues. I think I'd rather have a smart player that's not skilled but works hard and accepts his role as a end of the bench chemistry guy.
          Ty the kids career is over we can't even can trade him now

Comment

Exactly. I don't know why people keeps saying he's skilled. I mean, he's got long arms, but that's not really skill.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
              Exactly. I don't know why people keeps saying he's skilled. I mean, he's got long arms, but that's not really skill.
              You can't teach 7-6 wingspan but, you can teach the rest. You guys are making way too big of deal out of this.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• So a 7'6 wingspan is a skill?
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  You can't teach 7-6 wingspan but, you can teach the rest. You guys are making way too big of deal out of this.

You definitely cannot teach the rest all the time, or even most of the time. The graveyard of NBA GMs is littered with 7-ft draft bust after 7-ft draft bust

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                    You definitely cannot teach the rest all the time, or even most of the time. The graveyard of NBA GMs is littered with 7-ft draft bust after 7-ft draft bust
                    You can teach the rest. If your willing to put in the work. Those guys you speak of weren't.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

You can teach the rest. If your willing to put in the work. Those guys you speak of weren't.

I disagree. You can't teach a slow-footed player to be dramatically faster. You can't teach a person how to become smarter. You can't teach innate talent.

That said, not sure what that means for Bruno. A year in, I wanted them to trade him -- his potential maturity as a player and when the team would peak didn't match. I saw him as too long term. Now, I think they have to keep him. He plays positions of need, and they've invested too much money to not at least see this through. My biggest fear was that they were training him to become a solid professional player in Brazil or Europe. The Raps were essentially doing the heavy work for another team.

This brings us back to his old coach pooping on him. Do they hold his Brazilian rights? Conspiracy, I know. But, until I hear Canadian reporters confirming some of these reports I'm weary. The team that benefits the most from Bruno failing out of the NBA is Pinheiros. The league that most likely benefits is NBB.

Personally, I don't know if Bruno will ever be an NBA quality player. He has a chance. But if he can't consistently dominate in the G League (not once every few games), or get limited rotation minutes on the roster this season, that'll answer things for me. He needs to show us 1 or 2 NBA level skills now. Rebounding? Defense? 3 Point shooting? If he can do that, maybe he can earn minutes. If he earns minutes, he can survive in the league -- in Toronto or elsewhere (on a team that is rebuilding).

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                        I disagree. You can't teach a slow-footed player to be dramatically faster. You can't teach a person how to become smarter. You can't teach innate talent.

That said, not sure what that means for Bruno. A year in, I wanted them to trade him -- his potential maturity as a player and when the team would peak didn't match. I saw him as too long term. Now, I think they have to keep him. He plays positions of need, and they've invested too much money to not at least see this through. My biggest fear was that they were training him to become a solid professional player in Brazil or Europe. The Raps were essentially doing the heavy work for another team.

This brings us back to his old coach pooping on him. Do they hold his Brazilian rights? Conspiracy, I know. But, until I hear Canadian reporters confirming some of these reports I'm weary. The team that benefits the most from Bruno failing out of the NBA is Pinheiros. The league that most likely benefits is NBB.

Personally, I don't know if Bruno will ever be an NBA quality player. He has a chance. But if he can't consistently dominate in the G League (not once every few games), or get limited rotation minutes on the roster this season, that'll answer things for me. He needs to show us 1 or 2 NBA level skills now. Rebounding? Defense? 3 Point shooting? If he can do that, maybe he can earn minutes. If he earns minutes, he can survive in the league -- in Toronto or elsewhere (on a team that is rebuilding).
                        If a player is slow footed than they need to watch a lot of tape and know where to be in a rotation and be there earlier. You can also improve your ball IQ from watching tape. There is no secret on how to become a NBA player. It's all about putting the work in. Bruno is lucky enough to be blessed with amazing physical traits.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Bruno can shoot the ball.. and not just from corners. That's a skill. Giannis can't even shoot yet. Sure it might be one of the easiest to learn but it still takes time and not everyone can figure it out.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Bruno can shoot the ball.. and not just from corners. That's a skill. Giannis can't even shoot yet. Sure it might be one of the easiest to learn but it still takes time and not everyone can figure it out.
                            Giannis is a better shooter than Bruno.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

If a player is slow footed than they need to watch a lot of tape and know where to be in a rotation and be there earlier. You can also improve your ball IQ from watching tape. There is no secret on how to become a NBA player. It's all about putting the work in. Bruno is lucky enough to be blessed with amazing physical traits.

You only have to look at Euroleague to spot high BBIQ players who simply are too slow for the NBA game. Tape doesn't solve everything. I'm a big proponent, but it's not magic. You can only see the game so many steps ahead. The other team will adjust if you're beating them to spots by cheating (adjusting before an action). Yes, you can improve footwork (to a certain extent), you can learn opposing plays, but if the opponent makes adjustments that aren't on tape, that the player can't foresee, foot speed is required.

EDIT:
                              Also, look at the 2 biggest trends in the NBA: Small ball and position-less basketball. Both ideas are predicated on the idea that speed and athleticism are skills that you can't teach.

If 2 teams have equally high BBIQ players, equally skilled players, and the same quality of coach, the faster team has a significant advantage.
                              Last edited by blackjitsu; Thu Aug 31, 2017, 02:33 AM.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                                You only have to look at Euroleague to spot high BBIQ players who simply are too slow for the NBA game. Tape doesn't solve everything. I'm a big proponent, but it's not magic. You can only see the game so many steps ahead. The other team will adjust if you're beating them to spots by cheating (adjusting before an action). Yes, you can improve footwork (to a certain extent), you can learn opposing plays, but if the opponent makes adjustments that aren't on tape, that the player can't foresee, foot speed is required.

EDIT:
                                Also, look at the 2 biggest trends in the NBA: Small ball and position-less basketball. Both ideas are predicated on the idea that speed and athleticism are skills that you can't teach.

If 2 teams have equally high BBIQ players, equally skilled players, and the same quality of coach, the faster team has a significant advantage.
                                I'll agree that the way the game is going it's hard to make up for things like foot speed. We are talking about Bruno's chances and he doesn't suffer from that. That's why I think he will be an NBA player. The way the game is going will make it easier for him.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X