Everything Bruno Caboclo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Bro it's going from admirable defending to being delusional. Bruno is not playing a minute of meaningful basketball. Van vleet and OG will be 10th and 11 men, these other guys won't see the floor in a normal game. It took 5 min to see Anunoby is a real nba player. Bruno is a disaster
    I did immediately like the looks of OG on the nba court - a great sign. But I think you’ll find Casey likes to keep his last spot in the rotation flexible. With injuries into account, most of the 14-man roster will end up with its fair shake

Comment

• jerome still thinks Masai was right when he said he regret bringing Bruno to the NBA right after draft. If they stashed him somewhere he can get minutes and bring him in after they got the 905, he'll have not wasted that first year sitting on the bench (both the Raptors bench and Mad Ants bench), and the team would still have one more year to see what happens. The way he bombed the pre-season compared to what he did in the D-league playoffs and limited international play suggests his biggest issue is mental readiness, which can only be solved with more playing time. Although his issue of fighting with coaches might not be solvable.

Comment

• Yeah, so much will depend on the attitude and work ethic he displays struggling through this season with very limited minutes, not just for us but for any professional team.

Comment

• Bruno is considerably worse than Perry Jones and Anthony Randolph who most people have no problem universally accepting as busts yet somehow Bruno is given any benefit of the doubt lol smh

#2yearsawayfromacceptingreality

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
            Bruno is considerably worse than Perry Jones and Anthony Randolph who most people have no problem universally accepting as busts yet somehow Bruno is given any benefit of the doubt lol smh

#2yearsawayfromacceptingreality
            Jones and Randolph knows how to play the game. They're just not very good.

Bruno doesn't know how to play basketball. And i mean he doesn't know how to play basketball. That is a HUGE difference.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              That's more than fair. And I'm willing to admit it's highly unlikely he gets a 2nd contract with us. It's the experiment - the ultimate basketball development project - that intrigues me so much, not the player necessarily. Just how much are players, and people, capable of learning?

As people may have noticed, I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy. This preseason is just another tough learning experience for this kid. And I hope he's going to end up stronger for it. I'm going to keep watching 905 games to find out.

I mean, take a look at another genetic freak like Hassan Whiteside - didn't figure it out until he found the right opportunity at age 25.
              Exactly. It could be best for Bruno (and some Raptor fans) for him to go away and come back when he's more mature. It just may not be with Toronto and that could be regrettable.

I'd say it's almost entirely mental with him (and I don't mean that in the "he's a 5 yr old"/"not a bball player/no BBIQ" kind of way). Some young players (he just turned 22), and young people in general, just need more time to develop and mature to "get it". If his mindset isn't prepared to perform and compete in a real NBA game yet, consistently or at all, there's not much a team can do. Or the player really. That is probably why he's a practice all star.

You can tell any young player to hit the weight room, work on your skills. That's simple to understand and to follow through on. Telling a player he needs grow up, settle down, suck it up, mature, get a clue, figure it out etc., that's much more difficult. The player could agree, and even understand, but it's not really a conscious decision where he can just flip a switch and boom, he's got it.

I get the frustration. But when it veers toward the 'he may as well be dead to me' write-off, that's a little harsh. guess I'm also a glass-half-full kinda guy with maybe too much patience.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                Exactly. It could be best for Bruno (and some Raptor fans) for him to go away and come back when he's more mature. It just may not be with Toronto and that could be regrettable.

I'd say it's almost entirely mental with him (and I don't mean that in the "he's a 5 yr old"/"not a bball player/no BBIQ" kind of way). Some young players (he just turned 22), and young people in general, just need more time to develop and mature to "get it". If his mindset isn't prepared to perform and compete in a real NBA game yet, consistently or at all, there's not much a team can do. Or the player really. That is probably why he's a practice all star.

You can tell any young player to hit the weight room, work on your skills. That's simple to understand and to follow through on. Telling a player he needs grow up, settle down, suck it up, mature, get a clue, figure it out etc., that's much more difficult. The player could agree, and even understand, but it's not really a conscious decision where he can just flip a switch and boom, he's got it.

I get the frustration. But when it veers toward the 'he may as well be dead to me' write-off, that's a little harsh. guess I'm also a glass-half-full kinda guy with maybe too much patience.
                Anthony Bennett is a far better basketball player, better IQ for the game, and he's pretty much out of the league. Bruno was a gamble, the gamble didn't work out. The whole "2 years away" thing was a joke on draft night, not the Raptors plan. He's not NBA calibre at 22 and with 3 years of intense development focused on him; he's not going to all of a sudden turn into a player in year 4. Play out the sting this year, sure, but no way is he back with an NBA squad in 2018-19, IMO.
                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                  Anthony Bennett is a far better basketball player, better IQ for the game, and he's pretty much out of the league. Bruno was a gamble, the gamble didn't work out. The whole "2 years away" thing was a joke on draft night, not the Raptors plan. He's not NBA calibre at 22 and with 3 years of intense development focused on him; he's not going to all of a sudden turn into a player in year 4. Play out the sting this year, sure, but no way is he back with an NBA squad in 2018-19, IMO.
                  Quite possibly. Though I mean, some people (or a one person, can't recall) complained today about the Raptors giving up on PJ Tucker. Here is Tucker's rookie season vs Bruno last season (his 3rd). And PJ played 3 seasons at Texas.

http://bkref.com/tiny/Gwxr9

If Bruno is back in 2021 as a 6'11 force will it look better or worse for Masai? (not that that should matter at all). And Whiteside was on the Raptors summer league team at one point too.

If progress is nil this season, if they could keep his rights and boot him/encourage him to play in Europe for seasoning I wouldn't be opposed.
                  Last edited by Mess; Wed Oct 18, 2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Quite possibly. Though I mean, some people (or a one person, can't recall) complained today about the Raptors giving up on PJ Tucker. Here is Tucker's rookie season vs Bruno last season (his 3rd). And PJ played 3 season at Texas.

http://bkref.com/tiny/Gwxr9

If Bruno is back in 2021 as a 6'11 force will it look better or worse for Masai? (not that that should matter at all). And Whiteside was on the Raptors summer league team at one point too.

If progress is nil this season, if they could keep his rights and boot him/encourage him to play in Europe for seasoning I wouldn't be opposed.
                    In b4 TRex "pj tucker knew how to play basketball tho. Bruno literally does not know what a basketball is. Bruno is worse at basketball than stephen hawking"
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Plus, if we're simply holding onto Bruno because of a possibility that he may improve (not based on evidence, but based on prior examples of some players eventually improving), then roster sizes should be expanded from 17 players to 85. Every young player, camp invitee, walk-on should be kept in case they one day figured it out.
                      Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Oct 18, 2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Plus, if we're simply holding onto Bruno because of a possibility that he may improve (not based on evidence, but based on prior examples of some players eventually improving), then roster sizes should be expanded from 17 players to 85. Every young player, camp invitee, walk-on should be kept in case they one day figured it out.
                        Come on, there have been glimpses. Glimpses I tell you.

Comment

• I'm not sure why Whiteside is even being brought up...

1. He is a CENTER which is probably the easiest position in the league for a player to get away with not being particularily skilled but just have great physical attributes which of course Whiteside has in spades. Of course Bruno is not a C, although it can be argued he's neither a SF or PF either lol best to label as what he is and that's not a NBA player

2. Hassan wasn't some random prospect pulled out of obscurity with no real good experience. He played in college and put up 13ppg, 9rpg and 5.4bpg. It's pretty obvious there was defensive potential there and GMs had ample opportunity to do a background check and get a good feel of what he's like as a player

There isn't a person on this forum that didn't have a blank stare on their face when Silver announced Bruno's name when we took a shot on the most random of prospects probably ever and Whiteside was a proven college player, Bruno hadn't and still hasn't proven he even knows play the game so I think we really need to stop using HW as a reference point because there isn't much comparison at all...

PJ Tucker was also another well established college player who was far more proven and didn't look utterly lost/clueless like Bruno, he just needed to improve offensively. Not to mention he had the opposite going for him where he was considered undersized and they didn't know if he was a SG or SF because he was actually the size of a below average sized SG (ie/ VC, Kobe, TMac, Iso Joe were prominent SGs at the time), Bruno of course is gifted physically where either position he would be considered to have great measurements but he just sucks.
                          Last edited by JamesNaismith; Wed Oct 18, 2017, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Come on, there have been glimpses. Glimpses I tell you.

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I don’t know exactly what Bennett’s problem was/is (though i imagine it has something to do with intensity and practice ethic) but he was never the defensive prospect that Caboclo is. If Bruno can show some improvement, even for the 905, id be very surprised if someone didn’t take a flyer on him with a min contract.

Do we have to tender the QO to retain his bird rights? (Were he to go overseas)

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                                I don’t know exactly what Bennett’s problem was/is (though i imagine it has something to do with intensity and practice ethic) but he was never the defensive prospect that Caboclo is. If Bruno can show some improvement, even for the 905, id be very surprised if someone didn’t take a flyer on him with a min contract.

Do we have to tender the QO to retain his bird rights? (Were he to go overseas)
                                Nope. Bird Rights are automatic. You have them until you waive them (or the player signs with another NBA team).
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X