Everything Bruno Caboclo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octothorp wrote: View Post
    So, interesting. I was just checking out his Liga Americas box-scores. A 5 minutes, 0 pts game. A 9 minutes, 2 pts game. And then this:

http://www.eurobasket.com/boxScores/...18088_2807.asp

30 minutes, 24 points on 11 shots, including 4-of-4 from 3. And then a coaches decision, DNP the rest of the tournament. Back in the Brazillian League after January, He started a few games, performed well, and then was DNP for the last couple months of the season. So it makes sense that nobody had a chance to scout him. Because other than a couple games, he was simply riding the pine. But overall, he produced when he was in there.

At the same time, Masai couldn't have gone down there to watch this kid on the bench. He must have had some assurance that the kid would get playing time on the days he went down to watch. So presumably other scouts could do the same. Any chance that Masai got the team to agree not to showcase him for other NBA teams (in return for a generous buyout, perhaps)?

Further to my conspiracy theory: Reason for thinking Ujiri was at that 24 point game: Ujiri doesn't seem to go to a lot of road games. But the day after that game, Ujiri was in Brooklyn (famously hugging Lowry in the tunnel after the game). Why was he in New York that day? Well, direct flights from Bogota (where Caboclo was playing) to Toronto happen only about once a week, but non-stop flights from Bogota to New York happen daily. So if Ujiri was at that game, it would make sense for him to be in New York the next day.

Okay, that's all the Internet sleuthing I've got.
    Love this type of internet sleuthing, keep it up. Actually has some good rational for it.

stooley wrote: View Post
    3. I don't want him playing for the D-League or Europe or anywhere else. I want proper NBA training staff and skills coaches teaching him how to do things properly. I don't care if he plays 5 minutes or 10 minutes, I think 5 on 5 scrimmages, but most importantly constant oversight and a well laid out, long term development plan is what he needs.
    I agree. The reason why most draft-and-stash players don't end up working out is because they aren't subject to the level of training NBA players have access to. Since Bruno is coming here right away I actually have hope that he can develop

grindhouse wrote: View Post
    Freakish athlete doesn't equal good player or smart player. He has a edge he was born a freak where he goes from there ?
    Apparently he is a pretty smart player. Watching some of the video's that Mack11 posted and he plays within the system, doesn't force it and has his head up all the time. Also since they played a lot of 2-3 zone, he understands help defense quite well (unfortunately this lead to the DX report where they said he "loses his man"...kind of a tough call at that point)

saints91 wrote: View Post
    This pick is almost like drafting a high school player, and developing him. It's a bit of a loop hole really. This is true organic growth. If they can but zero expectations on him and bring him along slowly this season, I would imagine that he maybe able to be a rotational player next year. Hopefully within 3 year or 4 years he is a factor on this team. We really don't know enough about him right now to give any kind of timelines but his work ethic and physical tools are encouraging.
    This

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
      I honestly think Masai will still sign a veteran back up wing to get minutes, even if he does play well we can't go into the season expecting someone that just turned 19 to be our first wing off the bench.
      For sure, that is very true.

I wonder if Masai/TL want to go after Ariza, moving Ross to first wing off the bench, and then have Bruno as the other wing.

I'd be very happy, if we could sign Okafor and Ariza. Takes care of the Backup C problem, the Starting SF Problem also. Resign Lowry, and Vasquez, I'd be happy with:

Lowry/Vasquez
      Ariza/Ross/Fields
      DeRozan/Bruno/Novak
      Amir/PPat/Hayes
      JV/Okafor

Do we even have the money for something like that? Wouldn't mind Vince coming back if we can somehow afford him too.

EDIT: Was actually thinking, if we sign De Colo, that would work too. Vasquez likes to play part SG anyways, and Casey likes his 2PG Lineups, which did decently well last season.
      Last edited by phiLLy; Sat Jun 28, 2014, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
        I honestly think Masai will still sign a veteran back up wing to get minutes, even if he does play well we can't go into the season expecting someone that just turned 19 to be our first wing off the bench.
        I'd be surprised if Caboclo gets any meaningful minutes this season. 4th wing at best. I fully agree they'll sign somebody else to take over the 3rd wing spot. There should be options, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully we get a good piece.

Comment

• phiLLy wrote: View Post
          For sure, that is very true.

I wonder if Masai/TL want to go after Ariza, moving Ross to first wing off the bench, and then have Bruno as the other wing.

I'd be very happy, if we could sign Okafor and Ariza. Takes care of the Backup C problem, the Starting SF Problem also. Resign Lowry, and Vasquez, I'd be happy with:

Lowry/Vasquez
          Ariza/Ross/Fields
          DeRozan/Bruno/Novak
          Amir/PPat/Hayes
          JV/Okafor

Do we even have the money for something like that? Wouldn't mind Vince coming back if we can somehow afford him too.
          I really hope they don't want to chase Ariza. He could cost the whole MLE or more and will be looking for a 3-4 year deal, and I've said before I was once big on him as an option but he only tends to play well in contract years.

PJ Tucker is a RFA. Marvin Williams and Aminu are UFAs. And there are probably a couple more decent options. There's something appealing about Tucker. Knows his role, is incredibly gritty (perfect for our current team personality) and is strong enough to guard big SFs (even though he gives up height). Might not be worth the chase if we have to offer him something unreasonable to keep PHX from matching, but I hate PHX right now so I'd like to stick it to them somehow.

Comment

• He's an sf we drafted another sf in daniels now we need a backup centre for jonas I was surprised we didn't draft one with our last pick

Comment

• We need a straight up scorer off the bench, some one similar to Jamal Crawford, or Barbosa (in his prime). If we can keep the same roster but substitute Hans, and Salmons for a scoring wing and a big body (Gray style) I think this team can go deeper into the playoffs. I would imagine both TRoss and Jonas will be more productive this upcoming season. It should be interesting.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                We need a straight up scorer off the bench, some one similar to Jamal Crawford, or Barbosa (in his prime). If we can keep the same roster but substitute Hans, and Salmons for a scoring wing and a big body (Gray style) I think this team can go deeper into the playoffs. I would imagine both TRoss and Jonas will be more productive this upcoming season. It should be interesting.
                I don't want a scoring wing. I want a wing who can score. I think a ball dominant player à la Crawford is not a very good piece for us...assuming the team stays intact. We need ball movers, not stoppers. We need complimentary scorers, not volume ones. Lowry and DD already dominate the ball a lot on O, and JV could see his usage upped this year. Ross is a good fit in that lineup, as are Amir and Pat. GV is a good replacement ballhandler and shooter for both backcourt spots. Just need a guy who can shoot and put the ball on the floor a bit. Actually we need a guy who does what Salmons does but better. Use a screen, make an easy pass, hit open jumpers...That's be fine.

*That's one reason I was big on Anderson in the draft. Seems like an ideal bench player who can initiate your O and find a way to fit into whatever you're doing.

**Basically I see it as a difference between a guy who looks to get himself a good shot, and a guy who looks to get his team a good shot.

***just realized i said I want a wing who can't score...meant can score, but as in he is able to but it is not his primary role, and a Crawford is not good for our roster.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Jun 28, 2014, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  I don't want a scoring wing. I want a wing who can't score. I think a ball dominant player à la Crawford is a very good piece for us...assuming the team stays intact. We need ball movers, not stoppers. We need complimentary scorers, not volume ones. Lowry and DD already dominate the ball a lot on O, and JV could see his usage upped this year. Ross is a good fit in that lineup, as are Amir and Pat. GV is a good replacement ballhandler and shooter for both backcourt spots. Just need a guy who can shoot and put the ball on the floor a bit. Actually we need a guy who does what Salmons does but better. Use a screen, make an easy pass, hit open jumpers...That's be fine.

*That's one reason I was big on Anderson in the draft. Seems like an ideal bench player who can initiate your O and find a way to fit into whatever you're doing.

**Basically I see it as a difference between a guy who looks to get himself a good shot, and a guy who looks to get his team a good shot.
                  Not enough like buttons for this

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                    Not enough like buttons for this
                    Hopefully my major typo was something you realized was a typo...

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post

youngest player in draft and only played for 5 years. dude's got a TON of potential.
                      It was mentioned by Ujiri in an interview (sorry, forgot if not already posted before me) that Caboclo is likely on the roster next season. Assuming things are as we hope:

PG: Lowry/Vasquez/De Colo
                      SG: DeRozan/Daniels
                      SF: Ross/Caboclo/Fields
                      PF: Johnson/Patterson
                      C: Valanciunas
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                        Seriously!!! Some rando picked up an eastern teams 2nd round promise a week ago..... Then accurately surmised it was us!!!!
                        The fact these guys knew about the kid, and figured out that the Raps were after him just demonstrates how little our fanbase knows in comparison to theirs -- and I consider most of us reasonably intelligent and pretty resourceful. And that's just their fans...

Comment

• So is Kevin Durant the American Bruno Caboclo?
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Wow, Butch Carter smashed Fran Faschillo yesterday:

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/tim-s...e-27---1pm.mp3

Basically says he's a poor talent assessor.
                            Last edited by blackjitsu; Sat Jun 28, 2014, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              Wow, Butch Carter smashed Fran Faschillo yesterday:

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/tim-s...e-27---1pm.mp3

Basically says he's a poor talent assessor.
                              Holy Shit hahha damn!

Why is Butch so angry hahha
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                                Holy Shit hahha damn!

Why is Butch so angry hahha
                                Seriously. I was going to say that he's just ragging on ESPN, but his brother works there now. Anyway, here's Fran explaining his opinion more seriously after the draft:

Comment

Working...
                                X