Everything Bruno Caboclo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hes not getting minutes until he puts on weight
    he was getting bullied when trying to rebound, and flew off guys with any contact

Comment

• I can't believe even Raptors fans are so stuck on that 2 year away from 2 years away line.

It was a joke, and a pretty good one, it wasn't the be-all-end-all judgement on the kid.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
        I can't believe even Raptors fans are so stuck on that 2 year away from 2 years away line.

It was a joke, and a pretty good one, it wasn't the be-all-end-all judgement on the kid.
        No one is arguing that he is actually 4 years away. But maybe a year or two.
        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• I would love to meet Bruno and get him acclimated to the city. As a Brazilian who has already lived in Toronto most of my life, and being that we're around the same age, I'd be a perfect translator/friend for him (unless he's a shitty person, which he doesn't seem to be)

Let's make it happen MLSE/ RR!
          A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• He was 18 when the "2 years away from being 2 years away"thing was said, so if "there" is an NBA starter, and he achieves that by 22, that sounds pretty good. I agree, he has the potential to get there sooner, but the "2 years from 2 years" quote is not nearly as outragious as it's taken to be. Now if "there" is an NBA rotation player, then looks like he's just about 20lbs away.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              I don't think people realize how little and infrequent Novak played. Here is his game log:
              http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...14/steve-novak

I realize to expect Casey to be reluctant (putting it kindly) with Bruno because of age/inexperience. However that reason alone is bullsh!t. Always has been, always will be when a guy has talent and can contribute (shooter/floor spacer, wreak havoc in small doses on defense).

His skinny frame means little. He is not asked to start. He is spot minutes. He is also not a PF nor will he ever be. His skill set is going to have him a wing.

Your last sentence is key and my point. He is not starting so he is behind DD and Ross. He is not ahead of Vasquez/Williams in scorer roll in guard spot. He is not ahead of JJ. Where does that put him? 5th on the depth chart ahead of Fields.... and just cut Hamilton already.

The only way he gets minutes is if there are injuries, blow outs, or foul trouble. And even if he is off, you still have Landry waiting in the 'wings' to step in if necessary.
              Novak still appeared in 54 games last year. That's not nothing. He also got pretty decent minutes in emergency situations. I would be happy, but frankly completely shocked if Bruno ever clocked something like 27 minutes in a game. My estimate would be 20-30 games....and I'd guess most of those appearances will be less than 10 minutes, and I'd be shocked if he cracked 20 minutes even once (assume that would only happen if we are down at least 2-3 players at the wing).

I brought up PF because Novak was mentioned. Novak did get a lot of minutes at PF...60% of his playing time there per bball reference, and somehow, 38% at C with only 2% at SF. He and Novak are pretty different players, and Bruno should predominantly see time at the wing....However Novak is a guy who can play SF and a veteran, and despite our lack of any wing depth last year still barely got any time there.

So while Bruno is clearly more likely to get SF minutes, how many will he realistically be able to grab on a team that's deeper there than last year? And he definitely can't play PF at this point, again, unless it's strictly matching up against small ball lineups. But I don't agree with the "nor will he ever be" thing. I do think he is a guy who could easily grow into playing some stretch PF even against some normal PF matchups. He is skinny, but his body type does not really resemble Durant's except for length. He fully looks like he will fill out, though it's hard to guess how much. I mean, he would never be a guy you use on a Blake Griffin or Zach Randolph....but on a Chris Bosh or Dirk Nowitzki? Yeah, I could easily see that. And offensively the way the league is now, a wing's skill set, especially a shooter, fits just fine there.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Novak still appeared in 54 games last year. That's not nothing. He also got pretty decent minutes in emergency situations. I would be happy, but frankly completely shocked if Bruno ever clocked something like 27 minutes in a game. My estimate would be 20-30 games....and I'd guess most of those appearances will be less than 10 minutes, and I'd be shocked if he cracked 20 minutes even once (assume that would only happen if we are down at least 2-3 players at the wing).

I brought up PF because Novak was mentioned. Novak did get a lot of minutes at PF...60% of his playing time there per bball reference, and somehow, 38% at C with only 2% at SF. He and Novak are pretty different players, and Bruno should predominantly see time at the wing....However Novak is a guy who can play SF and a veteran, and despite our lack of any wing depth last year still barely got any time there.

So while Bruno is clearly more likely to get SF minutes, how many will he realistically be able to grab on a team that's deeper there than last year? And he definitely can't play PF at this point, again, unless it's strictly matching up against small ball lineups. But I don't agree with the "nor will he ever be" thing. I do think he is a guy who could easily grow into playing some stretch PF even against some normal PF matchups. He is skinny, but his body type does not really resemble Durant's except for length. He fully looks like he will fill out, though it's hard to guess how much. I mean, he would never be a guy you use on a Blake Griffin or Zach Randolph....but on a Chris Bosh or Dirk Nowitzki? Yeah, I could easily see that. And offensively the way the league is now, a wing's skill set, especially a shooter, fits just fine there.
                Just a thought - Novak's minutes were also limited by the fact that he's a spot up shooter at one end of the court and a pylon at the other. We'll have to see how well Bruno can (or can't) defend this year, but if any semblance of defense accompanies a decent 3 pt shot, he'll already be more useful than Novak was on this team.

My expectations for Bruno are totally open, though. He has everything to prove and is guaranteed nothing in terms of minutes.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Just a thought - Novak's minutes were also limited by the fact that he's a spot up shooter at one end of the court and a pylon at the other. We'll have to see how well Bruno can (or can't) defend this year, but if any semblance of defense accompanies a decent 3 pt shot, he'll already be more useful than Novak was on this team.

My expectations for Bruno are totally open, though. He has everything to prove and is guaranteed nothing in terms of minutes.
                  True about Novak's D, but Bruno is a rookie, so he has to prove way more to get on the court, even defensively. Novak may have been physically limited, but he's a fairly high IQ player who at least understood positioning and role on D.

And again, we are deeper this year than last. With Lou and JJ added, Bruno has to be that much better than his competition at the wing, or have that many more injuries/bad foul situations to get on the floor. And Novak benefited by getting big man minutes when Amir, Pat or Hansbrough were out.

Comment

• I think Bruno gets minutes eventually.. but it will be in the latter half of the season when injuries hit the team. Ross got 17mpg in his rookie year and guys like Anderson, Pietrus, Fields and Kleiza all got more minutes than he did.

I can see Bruno getting those 10mpg average. The wing depth has improved exponentially since 2012-2013 but Ujiri will want to ensure Bruno gets some time in and Casey will do what's asked.

Comment

Look at Novak's game log to get an idea about the type of minutes and their dispersal. 1/3 of his minutes on the season came in a 9 game span.

I can't believe there is anyone questioning 10 minutes per game on average in about 50-55 games on the season.

And yet again, I'm talking 5th man on the WING depth chart with only Fields behind him because Hamilton will be cut.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I think Bruno gets minutes eventually.. but it will be in the latter half of the season when injuries hit the team. Ross got 17mpg in his rookie year and guys like Anderson, Pietrus, Fields and Kleiza all got more minutes than he did.

I can see Bruno getting those 10mpg average. The wing depth has improved exponentially since 2012-2013 but Ujiri will want to ensure Bruno gets some time in and Casey will do what's asked.
                        Sweet.

One person gets it!

Comment

Look at Novak's game log to get an idea about the type of minutes and their dispersal. 1/3 of his minutes on the season came in a 9 game span.

I can't believe there is anyone questioning 10 minutes per game on average in about 50-55 games on the season.

And yet again, I'm talking 5th man on the WING depth chart with only Fields behind him because Hamilton will be cut.
                          But he's not really fifth on the wing depth chart...

DeMar, Ross, Lou, JJ....but you're forgetting Greivis could see minutes at SG as well, which will then also impact what happens at SF. So he's at best 4th on the depth chart at SF, and 5th at SG.

And I'm really more questioning the 50-55 games part. I could see Bruno averaging about 10 mpg (basically he could play anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes for most of his appearances), but just don't think he's going to see the floor that much at all in general. Between improved depth, increased expectations, his own inexperience and the fact that our coach is not the most youth-favouring guy....yeah, making 50+ appearances is a lot.

Comment

But he's not really fifth on the wing depth chart...

DeMar, Ross, Lou, JJ....but you're forgetting Greivis could see minutes at SG as well, which will then also impact what happens at SF. So he's at best 4th on the depth chart at SF, and 5th at SG.

And I'm really more questioning the 50-55 games part. I could see Bruno averaging about 10 mpg (basically he could play anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes for most of his appearances), but just don't think he's going to see the floor that much at all in general. Between improved depth, increased expectations, his own inexperience and the fact that our coach is not the most youth-favouring guy....yeah, making 50+ appearances is a lot.
                            I count Lou/GV as one on the WING depth chart since both will also spend time at PG.

DD
                            Ross
                            GV/Lou
                            JJ
                            BRUNO
                            Fields

There will be blowouts, injuries, and spot minutes available. If he can't get in to 50-55 games this season then the only issue is the coach.

Comment

I don't think people realize how little and infrequent Novak played. Here is his game log:
                              http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...14/steve-novak

rather than comparing his minutes with novak last year. I think a more realistic minute comparison is amir johnson his first couple years with detroit. They are/were both 19 coming into the league, raw, and on good teams. I can see bruno only playing in like at most 6 games this year the rest in the d-league

http://stats.nba.com/playerCareer.html?PlayerID=101161
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                                rather than comparing his minutes with novak last year. I think a more realistic minute comparison is amir johnson his first couple years with detroit. They are/were both 19 coming into the league, raw, and on good teams. I can see bruno only playing in like at most 6 games this year the rest in the d-league

http://stats.nba.com/playerCareer.html?PlayerID=101161
                                I see your point but we're talking a 64 win team with Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, and Antonio McDyess ahead of him with an aging Dale Davis and another prospect in Jason Maxiell.

Not same situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X