Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.nba.com/2015/news/feature...s-for-raptors/

some highlight snippets

The potential that led Toronto to gamble the No. 20 pick in last year's draft is displayed by a drill that Caboclo runs with several teammates during a recent Summer League practice in Las Vegas. They circulate into the corner one after the other to catch and shoot three-pointers as fed to them by their coaches. No one shoots faster than Caboclo. The ball is in and out of his hands and up and down through the net with a mechanically rhythmical confidence.
    "He's always been able to shoot the ball from the corner,'' says Raptors coach Dwane Casey. "But now he's understanding how to get there more efficiently, get to his spot, relocate quicker and understand spacing. Defensively he's still missing an assignment five out of 10 times; offensively he's getting to the right place seven out of 10 times. So you see all of those things coming together for him.''

The immediate focus for Raptors 905 will be to develop Caboclo. His hope is to play as many minutes as possible in the D-League, while spending as much time as possible around the Raptors when they're at home.
    "I am so excited about it because we get to really put Bruno's big-picture growth first, as the priority,'' says Mermuys, who is leaving Casey's staff to become head coach of the D-League team. "And I don't have to worry about winning every single game and sacrificing long-term growth at any players' expense. So I am really excited about getting him a solid opportunity to be able to play through mistakes and learn on-the-fly.''

Comment

• Upon reading:

"...And I don't have to worry about winning every single game and sacrificing long-term growth at any players' expense...."

Dwane Casey spots his coffee and yells, "goddammit haven't I taught you anything!"

Comment

• Great article. Gets me excited for what may become of Bruno under thi9s kind of excellent guidance.

"Casey is still clinging to the comparisons he has been making for the last year between Caboclo and Rashard Lewis, who transformed from a skinny high-schooler to become a max-contract scorer with low-post skills and three-point range. There are two major differences: Lewis was much further along socially (he was an English speaker, after all) and on the court; while Caboclo's upside is potential higher, thanks to his 7-foot-7 inch wingspan that could enable him to defend all kinds of scorers on the perimeter."

This is probably over the top, but what do I know. Given raw potential and the ability to day-by-day guide Bruno's growth, training, and development, while feeding him minutes in a Gym only 30 minutes away from the ACC so he can be dropped into real NBA competition when and as deemed good for him is a perfect situation. Time to find out if an NBA star can be manufactured. :-)

Comment

• A lockdown defensive version of Rashard Lewis?

*mouth waters*

Comment

• Former Bakersfield Jam head coach Will Voigt is expected to be named the next head coach of the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, multiple league sources tell D-League Digest.
            – via D-League Digest

Looks like serious fall out for the decision not to play Bruno

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
              A lockdown defensive version of Rashard Lewis?

*mouth waters*
              Casey also said that JV is Joakim Noah at worst. He spews bs constantly
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• New article on Bruno, if anyone is interested in reading it:

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/feature...s-for-raptors/
                #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• BS10 wrote: View Post
                  New article on Bruno, if anyone is interested in reading it:

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/feature...s-for-raptors/
                  Look at 5 of the last 6 posts.

Thanks though!

Comment

• Will it be too much to ask from Bruno to put up some good numbers in the D league?! I think it will be dissapointing year if Bruno only avg 9-12 points a game and his FG % is hovering just above 40% with less then 5 rebounds a game.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      Will it be too much to ask from Bruno to put up some good numbers in the D league?! I think it will be dissapointing year if Bruno only avg 9-12 points a game and his FG % is hovering just above 40% with less then 5 rebounds a game.
                      I'm willing to let him struggle initially but there should be exponential growth by mid season.

Comment

Will it be too much to ask from Bruno to put up some good numbers in the D league?! I think it will be dissapointing year if Bruno only avg 9-12 points a game and his FG % is hovering just above 40% with less then 5 rebounds a game.
                        To me he's more of a player who needs to pass the eye-test first before we can worry too much about stats. How aware does he look, how quick is he to respond to plays, get to his spot, stay in front of his man, these are all things that are much more important to me than actual points or shooting percentage or rebounding numbers, at least right now. I'm certainly not going to get overly worked up by a 12-5-40% stat line if there's a visible improvement in the way he thinks and understands the game.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          I'm willing to let him struggle initially but there should be exponential growth by mid season.
                          There better be, because at this juncture he is more raw then what Masai had initially advertised for someone picked in the first round.

Comment

There better be, because at this juncture he is more raw then what Masai had initially advertised for someone picked in the first round.
                            Masai advertised him as incredibly raw. A two year project before he is ready for NBA minutes.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                              Masai advertised him as incredibly raw. A two year project before he is ready for NBA minutes.
                              I would wager he changed him mind on that, seeing as how he just signed Carrol to a big fat contract.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                                I would wager he changed him mind on that, seeing as how he just signed Carrol to a big fat contract.
                                What are you talking about?

"NBA minutes" doesn't mean that he's ready to start. Especially not for a team that's trying to win games.

Comment

Working...
                                X