No announcement yet.

Everything Bruno Caboclo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not getting the Bruno disdain here.

Masai has always said the 3rd string is to develop youth. Bruno is young.

Towns is actually just 2 months younger than Bruno.

Bruno could very well have been a rookie this season.

Last season was to work on the language, his skills, and get stronger.

NO QUESTION he needs to play games. That is what he is missing.

I'd rather see Masai take a gamble on a 6'9", 7'7" wingspan who can stroke the 3 than almost anyone.

Reality is Raps control him for at least another 4 seasons. Who knows what could happen?

VERY VERY low risk with a high reward.

He likely never amounts to anything but there is always a chance.

Dleague team and chance to play will change everything.

Dont' forget Lance Stephenson bascially didn't play for 2 years and then he became a rotational player in year 3 and a triple double threat in year 4.

The Bruno experiment is 1 year in - chill.

Comment

• Time to get #CharginUpMyMoustache trending

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
        Holy lack of patience batman. Do you want a robust development program or not? Now that we've got the 905 we can accelerate his education and actually watch it ourselves for once.

Al Harrington and Rashard Lewis and T-mac, though probably not as raw as the young Brazilian thanks to USA highschool ball, are the ??? highschool prospects that paid off for the teams that drafted them. Both were in that 3/4 combo-forward mold, as were some of the guys that didn't make it, either: due to health problems with D-Miles, Bender (like AB, he turned out to be more of a center prospect than a 3 before the knees did him in); or outright flops like Ndudi Ebi. Of course a lot of the rawest players are generally bigs - Andrew Bynum comes to mind there.

But imagine if he did make strides ala Tmac as his finishes his rookie contract. It's almost ok if he takes time to come of age, we'll be able to lock him up for a nominal amount while he's just scratching the surface at age 22. With the salary of a #20, he's arguably terrific developmental value. He's a completely different kind of player (calibre of as well, presumably) in terms of ball skills and explosiveness, but lets not forget how many careers length+shooting+acceptable defense have enabled over the years.

It still strikes me as a worthwhile gamble, but that's exercising a good deal of patience putting a good deal of faith in our training staff. But I'm someone who wanted Damien Inglis and Kyle Anderson, both players with similarly intriguing potential in that 3-4 mold.

With Bruno's length, athleticism, and shooting ability, there's still a very good chance that he starts producing in his rookie contract.
        It's not lack of patience. It's looking at the present team and deciding whose development can you wait for and whose development does not match the available window for success for the team. This isn't the Celtics (who I love, and has a much wider window than the Raps). This isn't the Sixers (whose window hasn't even opened up yet). This is a team that has hit its stride during a downturn in its conference (which is improving rapidly) and whose most important player is its oldest starter.

I refuse to imagine anything, because I don't have to. I can look at his progress beside other similar players and look at his rate of improvement. His D League play was atrocious. His second Summer League he played at the level of a slightly above average Summer League rookie (which marked significant growth for him, but not for a first round draft pick).

There's also an incredibly long and embarrassing history of the Raptors drafting players, developing them and then having them move to other teams in the NBA and/or Europe.

"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it."

His contract jumps to $2 mill in 2 seasons and I believe a cap hold of 3 the next year. For what? What does Bruno provide that a smart scout couldn't find in the French pro league, for the league minimum?

Fans can't demand playoff improvement on one end and then have prospects that shouldn't play even 5 minutes on a legit playoff team on the other.

I don't care where players come from. I came from an island 20 square miles and I played at a time that 5 kids got division 1 scholarships, a bunch of guys played CIS and division 2 and 3. All those guys had more tools than this guy has. No one thought they were NBA players (rightfully so) but they were found and scouted. Being from Brazil and having zero BBIQ is not a valid excuse.

Sadly, now its all about potential. People get sold on things that have nothing to do with basketball. Masai can take advantage of that, develop the kid enough to turn him into fools gold, or he can keep him and be fooled himself.

The Raps last GM lost his job because he held on to an enigma for too long at too much money. You would think that people here would have learned from that.

Comment

• The previous Raps GM held onto an enigma who he drafted first overall, signed to a 10M per year five year extension after he'd been given 4 years of consistent play in the NBA and had shown clearly that he didn't belong in the NBA. Somehow I find the parallel to Bruno (literally one year into his rookie scale deal, with practically zero NBA minutes) a little confusing.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Holy lack of patience batman. Do you want a robust development program or not? Now that we've got the 905 we can accelerate his education and actually watch it ourselves for once.

Al Harrington and Rashard Lewis and T-mac, though probably not as raw as the young Brazilian thanks to USA highschool ball, are the ??? highschool prospects that paid off for the teams that drafted them. Both were in that 3/4 combo-forward mold, as were some of the guys that didn't make it, either: due to health problems with D-Miles, Bender (like AB, he turned out to be more of a center prospect than a 3 before the knees did him in); or outright flops like Ndudi Ebi. Of course a lot of the rawest players are generally bigs - Andrew Bynum comes to mind there.

But imagine if he did make strides ala Tmac as his finishes his rookie contract. It's almost ok if he takes time to come of age, we'll be able to lock him up for a nominal amount while he's just scratching the surface at age 22. With the salary of a #20, he's arguably terrific developmental value. He's a completely different kind of player (calibre of as well, presumably) in terms of ball skills and explosiveness, but lets not forget how many careers length+shooting+acceptable defense have enabled over the years.

It still strikes me as a worthwhile gamble, but that's exercising a good deal of patience putting a good deal of faith in our training staff. But I'm someone who wanted Damien Inglis and Kyle Anderson, both players with similarly intriguing potential in that 3-4 mold.

With Bruno's length, athleticism, and shooting ability, there's still a very good chance that he starts producing in his rookie contract.
            there has been absolutely nothing in Brunos career to suggest that there is even a minus 10% chance in him becoming a welfare version of Tmac.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
              there has been absolutely nothing in Brunos career to suggest anything
              Fixed that for you.

Why are people ready to make judgments on this guy already? We've seen practically nothing from him.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'm curious as to what people would think we should be getting from our 15th roster spot if not to develop Bruno?

Is his roster spot so precious to our current squad's playoff chances that we aren't willing to use it on a kid with great physical talents and a nice shooting stroke?
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  Fixed that for you.

Why are people ready to make judgments on this guy already? We've seen practically nothing from him.
                  Exactly. And the same goes for the majority of his draft class, regarded as one of the best in recent history. Look at Gary Harris, who despite being regarded as more NBA-ready, scored a total of 188 points playing for a non-playoff team.

Comment

• Bruno was drafted at #20

The notables drafted after him include: Kyle Anderson, Rodney Hood, Clint Capela (same boat as Bruno), KJ McDaniels

None of those guys have proven anything yet either so I think a little less doomsaying on Bruno is advised.

He needs time and some playing time down in the 905. The 905 is essentially going to be his college equivalent year

Comment

• Happy 20th birthday Bruno!

Oh, to be 20 again...

Comment

• Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          The previous Raps GM held onto an enigma who he drafted first overall, signed to a 10M per year five year extension after he'd been given 4 years of consistent play in the NBA and had shown clearly that he didn't belong in the NBA. Somehow I find the parallel to Bruno (literally one year into his rookie scale deal, with practically zero NBA minutes) a little confusing.
                          My point is that they need to trade Bruno while he actually has value. Bargs probably should have been moved early in that 2nd contract. Bruno needs to be moved now if winning trades means anything. This is when his potential is overwhelming his real value as a player.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                            It's not lack of patience. It's looking at the present team and deciding whose development can you wait for and whose development does not match the available window for success for the team. This isn't the Celtics (who I love, and has a much wider window than the Raps). This isn't the Sixers (whose window hasn't even opened up yet). This is a team that has hit its stride during a downturn in its conference (which is improving rapidly) and whose most important player is its oldest starter.

I refuse to imagine anything, because I don't have to. I can look at his progress beside other similar players and look at his rate of improvement. His D League play was atrocious. His second Summer League he played at the level of a slightly above average Summer League rookie (which marked significant growth for him, but not for a first round draft pick).

There's also an incredibly long and embarrassing history of the Raptors drafting players, developing them and then having them move to other teams in the NBA and/or Europe.

"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it."

His contract jumps to $2 mill in 2 seasons and I believe a cap hold of 3 the next year. For what? What does Bruno provide that a smart scout couldn't find in the French pro league, for the league minimum?

Fans can't demand playoff improvement on one end and then have prospects that shouldn't play even 5 minutes on a legit playoff team on the other.

I don't care where players come from. I came from an island 20 square miles and I played at a time that 5 kids got division 1 scholarships, a bunch of guys played CIS and division 2 and 3. All those guys had more tools than this guy has. No one thought they were NBA players (rightfully so) but they were found and scouted. Being from Brazil and having zero BBIQ is not a valid excuse.

Sadly, now its all about potential. People get sold on things that have nothing to do with basketball. Masai can take advantage of that, develop the kid enough to turn him into fools gold, or he can keep him and be fooled himself.

The Raps last GM lost his job because he held on to an enigma for too long at too much money. You would think that people here would have learned from that.
                            yeah but we aren't paying the dude 10 million a year and forcing him to be a number 1 option on the team. CHILL OUT. It was a 20th pick man no need to be so pessimistic. We knew he was raw when we got him.

Comment

Best post ever.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                                yeah but we aren't paying the dude 10 million a year and forcing him to be a number 1 option on the team. CHILL OUT. It was a 20th pick man no need to be so pessimistic. We knew he was raw when we got him.
                                Chill out? I'm not screaming. More importantly, I'm consistent. People talk about why Toronto can't afford to fit people under the cap, well the way you have space for 10 million dollar contracts is efficiently assessing personnel. If people can call for a far more superior player like DD to be moved -- who would be a hell of a lot more difficult to replace in the current market -- why can't I conclude that it would be better, cheaper easier and more efficient to replace Bruno for a player who fits a need?

He brings nothing to the table, he lacks talent, and costs more to pay than his actual value.

Pretty straight forward to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X