Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
    Not always....

It can help with catching & passing. But dribbling, it's different. The ball may feel too small for you.

But then again, I have small hands and am 5'9. So I don't know what it's like to have big hands.
    Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    So you're just commenting on a hunch that you hope serves your purpose. Got it.
    I'm sure we can all agree that it's harder to "shoot" a tennis ball than a basketball. I'm sure the same principle applies to a guy like Shaq whose hands dwarf a basketball.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      I'm sure we can all agree that it's harder to "shoot" a tennis ball than a basketball. I'm sure the same principle applies to a guy like Shaq whose hands dwarf a basketball.
      Agreed. If you were used to only shooting basketballs then asked to shoot a tennis ball, shooting a tennis ball would be more difficult. But if you grew up shooting a tennis ball, then I would think for that person it'd be easier to shoot a tennis ball than a basketball.
      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
      Because its 2015

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
        Agreed. If you were used to only shooting basketballs then asked to shoot a tennis ball, shooting a tennis ball would be more difficult. But if you grew up shooting a tennis ball, then I would think for that person it'd be easier to shoot a tennis ball than a basketball.
        Yeah, repetition definitely plays a factor.

I'm also thinking there just isn't enough surface area on the tennis ball to properly space your fingers. So even with enough practice, it would require more skill to shoot a tennis ball compared to a basketball, putting a person with giant hands at a disadvantage.

But I admit this a hunch.

Then again, it doesn't seem to be bothering Kawhi Leonard.

Last edited by Nilanka; Tue Dec 1, 2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Greek Freak's hands
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Greek Freak's hands
            Are those human?
            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
            Because its 2015

Comment

Are those human?

Comment

I think you're missing/down-playing the argument from ergonomic design. That's like saying we'd be indifferent if our typing keyboards had three-inch gaps between all keys. A basketball is designed to be shot by people within a standard deviation (or two) of normal-sized hands ...

No?

Comment

• Originally basketball was played with a soccer ball and peach baskets, so, no, the size of the ball is not designed for the ergonomics of the human hand.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      Originally basketball was played with a soccer ball and peach baskets, so, no, the size of the ball is not designed for the ergonomics of the human hand.
                      Those guys also shot the ball from between their legs....

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        Originally basketball was played with a soccer ball and peach baskets, so, no, the size of the ball is not designed for the ergonomics of the human hand.
                        They don't still play with a soccer-ball, do they? And they could have played with a tennis ball? Designed/selected/refined ... not sure the ergonomics point is invalid. But whatever ...

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post

Axel and Nilanka should have a Simpson .jpg/.gif-off.

The loser gets tarred and feathered.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                            They don't still play with a soccer-ball, do they? And they could have played with a tennis ball? Designed/selected/refined ... not sure the ergonomics point is invalid. But whatever ...
                            They play with a roughly soccer-ball sized ball. But they originally played with a ball that size because it was what they had, and was roughly the size of the baskets they had to shoot at.

Also, not sure the concept of ergonomics had really caught on just yet...
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Comment

• Sportsnet Feature on Bruno. Nothing new, really, but a nice piece. And face it - you want to read something about Bruno, right?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...the-long-game/

(or not)

Comment

Working...
                                X