#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendit wrote: View Post
    One of my criticisms of Casey is that he has no/very little "feel" for the game as it unfolds. And he coaches in the playoffs as if it were a regular season game. This is a series with ebbs & flows and much of it orchestrated by coaching. For example, did DC visualize or gameplan/think of substitution patterns in case Paul Pierce were inserted as a 4? It's like he gets frozen by his pre-planned substitutions/rotations come what may.
    Agreed. He will make adjustments for the next game but he is always going to be too late. Zero in game adjustments.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      Do share
      Fine. He clearly said he couldn't get James in as he wants to stick to a 9-man rotation. So.... he's gonna use a smaller mine-up and run Ross into the ground at SF, it seems. Like that's a good idea.
      Axel wrote:
      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
      KeonClark wrote:
      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
      KeonClark wrote:
      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        The only possible "basketball reason" for not trying JJ against Pierce at some point might be that Pierce is still a master at drawing fouls through pump fakes, and JJ is notoriously jumpy and easy to get off his feet.

But if you can't use JJ against Pierce, then what's the point of having JJ on your roster in the first place?
        I think the reason is that Casey's approach to coaching involves conceiving a general philosophy and trusting that it will come through, rather than adjusting on the fly.

Or, stated another way:

Pound the rock!

"Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          I think the reason is that Casey's approach to coaching involves conceiving a general philosophy and trusting that it will come through, rather than adjusting on the fly.

Or, stated another way:

Pound the rock!

Minutes after writing this post I came across today's Star article lol

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...h-wizards.html

“When people say making adjustments is when I laugh,” Casey said yesterday after the Raptors had a film and relaxed work session at the Air Canada Centre. “Going all the way to the championship (as a Dallas Mavericks assistant in 2011) we changed very little, maybe a substitution and we still won.
          “That’s when I laugh when people say, ‘He beat him because he made 50 adjustments.’ You can’t do that. I’m not that smart by the way. I don’t know what coach is.”

I don't even know where to begin with this.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
            Right, but at least PP is a threat to hit the 3. Regardless of his slump, a defender will not sag off of him at the 3 point line. With JJ, they will give him space every time. I agree with your first point. TH played 16 minutes, starting the game as our PF. TH has played admirably last few weeks, but he is a third stringer. For the rest of the series, we should have JJ & JV starting at the 4 & 5 with PP and AJ coming off the bench as our 4 & 5.
            CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I look at the players' stats and consider DC's comments, then get thoroughly confused.

SEASON STATS (FG/3p)
            Lou - 40% / 34%
            GV - 41% / 38%
            Ross - 41% / 37%
            Lowry - 41% / 34%
            DD - 41% / 28%
            PP - 45% / 37%

AVERAGE - 41% / 35%

When the team's top 6 shooters connect at a combined 41%/35% clip, how exactly is any shot one "they usually make"?

I really hope they come out in game #2 and attack the basket, both by involving their bigs and off the dribble. Get better looks, have more guys around the basket for offensive rebounds, get the foul line, get Washington players in foul trouble, and create more open looks from 3pt range later on in the game.

When Gortat & Pierce picked up 2 early fouls each, I figured for sure that the Raps would look to exploit those matchups... but then I remembered that DC was the coach, and he played right into Washington's hands.
            I agree - in theory, the guards and PP help stretch the floor because everybody can make 3's. In practice, these guys are shooting at or near career lows, especially since January. The offense is defended with an "everything's fine" argument based pretty much entirely on an inflated ORTG - partly propped up be efficient scoring from the bigs (one poster pulled out the stats for this in another thread) and partly propped up by FT shooting, which we can debate the pros and cons of depending on in the playoffs.

In theory this is why Casey didn't want to put JJ on the floor, because Lou/GV/KL/Ross/PP "should" be giving him good floor spacing and outside shooting. In reality, they shot like shit and the most efficient scorers on the team (forwards) either don't get the ball or don't even get on the floor.

At this point, isn't the only argument for Casey's offense the ORTG?

And I'm still not buying that these guys helped with the defense that much Washington averaged 98.5 ppg this year - the Raps held them to 93. Whoopee. Meanwhile the Raps averaged 104 ppg and were held to 86.

Now that they're facing a good defensive team in the playoffs, the defense is not going to be the only thing wrong with the Raptors. Their offense is about to be exposed for the ISO crap that it is.

Four shooters on the floor are going to have low %'s when so many shots come after so little ball & player movement.

Now I'm just rambling.

Cheers.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              I agree - in theory, the guards and PP help stretch the floor because everybody can make 3's. In practice, these guys are shooting at or near career lows, especially since January. The offense is defended with an "everything's fine" argument based pretty much entirely on an inflated ORTG - partly propped up be efficient scoring from the bigs (one poster pulled out the stats for this in another thread) and partly propped up by FT shooting, which we can debate the pros and cons of depending on in the playoffs.

In theory this is why Casey didn't want to put JJ on the floor, because Lou/GV/KL/Ross/PP "should" be giving him good floor spacing and outside shooting. In reality, they shot like shit and the most efficient scorers on the team (forwards) either don't get the ball or don't even get on the floor.

At this point, isn't the only argument for Casey's offense the ORTG?

And I'm still not buying that these guys helped with the defense that much Washington averaged 98.5 ppg this year - the Raps held them to 93. Whoopee. Meanwhile the Raps averaged 104 ppg and were held to 86.

Now that they're facing a good defensive team in the playoffs, the defense is not going to be the only thing wrong with the Raptors. Their offense is about to be exposed for the ISO crap that it is.

Four shooters on the floor are going to have low %'s when so many shots come after so little ball & player movement.

Now I'm just rambling.

Cheers.
              93 in OT, 82 in regular time

Comment

“When people say making adjustments is when I laugh,” Casey said yesterday after the Raptors had a film and relaxed work session at the Air Canada Centre. “Going all the way to the championship (as a Dallas Mavericks assistant in 2011) we changed very little, maybe a substitution and we still won.
                “That’s when I laugh when people say, ‘He beat him because he made 50 adjustments.’ You can’t do that. I’m not that smart by the way. I don’t know what coach is.”

Sigh...

And why is Lowry saying they need to play faster? It feels like when we try to speed up is when we totally fuck up. We make bad decisions in transitions, that lead to counter-attacks and easy buckets for the other team. We don't get to set our D, which is greatly helped by slowing it down, when we can attack the paint and get free throws.

Also funny that Casey defends himself and the notion of adjustments like fans are crazy and don't know what they're talking about, then says this:

“We’re not going to scrap the offence and go to a different offence, we’re not going to scrap the defence and go to a different defence,” Casey said. “It may be a matchup. It may be which way we force a guy. It may be a subtle way of changing the size of the floor with our offensive plays to get better spacing. Different things, little subtleties like that.”
                You mean relatively simple, minor adjustments could lead to more effective play? You know, like picking your matchups better...Huh? Who would've thought?

Comment

no shit.

Comment

Wonder who said some coach made 50 adjustments? Some poster on RealGM (sorry). Pure deflection by DC. Just make the tweak/substitution/timeout to counter what is quite obviously killing the team at any point in the series. This is a playoff series not just another game in a 82 game schedule.

Comment

Are we witnessing his media implosion now that they are asking him some testing questions?

Could this be the end?!!

Comment

This broke me... I have watched, followed and played basketball my entire sentient life and this might be the single stupidest thing I have ever related to the sport.

Wasn't there a tweet yesterday about how almost every playoff team used lineups in 1 game of the post-season more than they did all year in the regular season? Well hot damn Casey, looks like pretty much every body is smarter than you and able to make adjustments based off matchup reasons. Who woulda thunk it?

And who said shit about 50 adjustments? Literally the wizards got in foul trouble, made adjustments out of necessity and Casey got outcoached... It's often one single adjustment a good coach can make and casey just goes "well I'm not that smart but thanks for the millions of dollars, what do you expect me to do about it?"

And that mavericks comment just made me realize how lost he is in general. Since when has a champion never had to make a single adjustment? Why have a coach then?

I just started hating this man. I wasn't a fan of him as a coach, but I hate him now. He is an insult to the sport world. I will not watch another game coached by him after this season ends. I will follow the raptors, but I refuse to watch him.

#$%^ I'm mad

Comment

Oh well, series just went down the stream again. Nothing new for me, just hilarious to hear it from him as well, at last... He grew some balls to display his stupidity verbally.
                          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• god i hate this guy

Comment

• I kind of enjoy watching him squirm. Maybe some of the national media will actually ask some real questions instead of our terrible media employed by MLSE.

Comment

The funny thing is that Doug Smith is actually agreeing with Casey, for whatever that's worth. And at the end of the article Casey is basically admitting that, yeah, we are making adjustments all the time. So, who knows what to make of this latest sound-bite.

It comes across more like Casey being typically defiant, bordering on arrogant, when somebody even indirectly questions his coaching acumen. Casey is a "defensive" coach, after all. lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X