No announcement yet.

#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unless this thread gets closed, this thread will easily reach 100 pages.
    2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

• breakin_ankles wrote: View Post
      Which is exactly why he needs to go, a one dimensional coach can not survive in this league, especially when the main skill they were hired for (defence) is barely skating by.
      He needs to go when?
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
        1) Opinions on the internet don't prove much, other than they're been angry dudes on the internet since it's conception, however ...

2) Some of those commenter acknowledge exactly what I'm saying: The Wolves firing Casey less to do with his performance, and more to do with Kevin McHale trying to save his job. McHale wasted Garnett's prime by surrounding him with trash year after year. Ricky Davis? Mark Blount? I mean, Eddie Griffin was a alcoholic. Their only other exciting prospect was Randy Foye.

God. Just remembering the ineptitude of that team's management makes my head hurt. It was Babcockian.

And you're right, 8-teams were under .500 — which means if they held onto Casey and his .500 record, they would have at least made the playoffs.

2) Other commenters mirror my opinion of the Raps situation ... there is absolutely no point in firing Casey unless you have a serious coaching upgrade in mind. I don't think Casey is a great coach, but he's not "a moron", and unless you have a much better coach and roster changes lined up, firing Casey mid-season and handing the keys to an assistant seems pretty pointless.

Actually, it's worse than pointless — it's management signalling to the team they don't believe in the coach or team as currently constructed, and are essentially giving up the season. That's why I disagree with your assertion that Casey should be fired immediately. Replacing Casey with Nick Nurse will not magically make the team better. In the short term, it would probably make the team play worse than they already are.

If the goal of the Raps is to make the second round this year, the team's best chance is rolling the dice with Casey with half the season already gone. That's probably a bitter pill for you to swallow, but that's just the situation. It reminds me of the Warriors last year, where everyone in the organization knew they could do better than Mark Jackson but they had to wait until the off-season to make it happen.
        Look at the facts. Casey runs guards in isolation, he has never shown any ability with a floor spacing big, he runs a pressure defense with guards and a hard hedging big. He didn't fit with the TWolves which only had KG. Garnett is better than Bosh yet the TWolves under performed the Raptors teams.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          He needs to go when?
          Preferably as soon as possible, if 5here is a suitable replacement... Even if that is an assistant. This way of playing will eventually ruin morale and chemistry. A good portion of our roster is not being used properly, why would anybody be OK with that.

Comment

• breakin_ankles wrote: View Post
            Preferably as soon as possible, if 5here is a suitable replacement... Even if that is an assistant. This way of playing will eventually ruin morale and chemistry. A good portion of our roster is not being used properly, why would anybody be OK with that.
            Well Masai seems OK with it so far, unless he just fired Casey.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              Well Masai seems OK with it so far, unless he just fired Casey.
              Sam Mitchell isn't a bad choice with this roster. He was able to use Bosh in the post.

Comment

• They don't play good defence, the offence looks like a pickup game, and the coach has shown a complete inability to draw up a play that results in an open look, despite spending years as an assinstant to some great coaches. All while screwing up the development of what should be our franchise cornerstone. he will never be a nba head coach again, being fired is inevitable
                Last edited by draps; Thu Jan 22, 2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• He's sapping the confidence of his young players by benching them. They can't or won't play the defensive scheme laid out for them so we clearly need to trade a couple of guys to upgrade the team to shore up whats left of a downward spiraling season. Sound familiar ?
                  So they fired the coach.
                  Randys gone.
                  Hows that working out for the Leafs ?
                  There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    Look at the facts. Casey runs guards in isolation, he has never shown any ability with a floor spacing big, he runs a pressure defense with guards and a hard hedging big. He didn't fit with the TWolves which only had KG. Garnett is better than Bosh yet the TWolves under performed the Raptors teams.
                    Hey, I won executive of the year that year for a reason. We had high character vets on that team like Mo-Pete, Anthony Parker, Rasho, Calderon and Garbajosa. And TJ Ford was fucking fast.

Casey being a bad fit for the TWolves is different from Casey being a bad coach. I think the TWolves probably gave up too early on Casey, but this is the year where Casey's limitations as a coach have caught up to him.

Comment

Sam Mitchell isn't a bad choice with this roster. He was able to use Bosh in the post.
                      NO!!!!!
                      "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Hey, I won executive of the year that year for a reason. We had high character vets on that team like Mo-Pete, Anthony Parker, Rasho, Calderon and Garbajosa. And TJ Ford was fucking fast.

Casey being a bad fit for the TWolves is different from Casey being a bad coach. I think the TWolves probably gave up too early on Casey, but this is the year where Casey's limitations as a coach have caught up to him.
                        The TWolve roster wasn't going to change except Garnett was leaving. They weren't going to be better with Casey as head coach.

Comment

Its the same thing. A coach that can only succeed with a very limited range of teams isn't very useful. It comes down to adjustments since the roster isn't going to change drastically.

Comment

I have a hard time believing Sam Mitchell replacing Casey would be anything but a lateral move. This is the guy that said, "it's not about x's and o's, it's about jimmys and joes."

Bosh was better than JV and Amir. Even then, I think Sam benefitted greatly from having an excellent pick-and-roll point guard in Calderon.

There should be a rule: If GV is ever on the court with JV and Amir he has to run the pick-and-roll. GV found JV for his first three shots last night. He's capable.

Comment

• Where's the fire? Who are they going to find who is significantly better than Casey? Are we all watching the same games? Will these ridiculous Maple Leaf fans stop pretending to understand basketball?

Seriously. Whether I disagree, or agree with Casey I agree with his results. What we are seeing now is an exhausted team, with an exhausted star, and the other star coming back from injury. Last game looked a lot better than the rest of the month. They're figuring things out. At the end of the season, when we have a better idea who is available we can have debates over coaches.

But trust me, the most successful coach in Toronto Raptors history (Casey)will be on that short list. I don't have to like his in game work, but I respect the hell out of the changes he's helped create with basketball culture, and team success.

Comment

• A Team-by-Team Guide to On-Ball Screen Defensive Strategy

http://www.vantagesports.com/#story/...nsive-strategy

Others have covered the Raptors' scheme in detail, and Vantage’s proprietary data confirm the eye test. The Raptors hedge on the third-highest proportion of on-ball screens they defend. Both Amir Johnson and Patrick Patterson are agile power forwards. Jonas Valanciunas drops back 91.86 percent of the time, the most of any Raptor by a significant margin.

On this occasion, Valanciunas hedges, and a scrambling rotation ensues:
                                We need to start playing more conservative defensive style. We will force less turnovers but players won't have to use as much energy
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X