Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SamMitchells wrote: View Post
    Yup .. Patience..

Guess it's safe to say 1st seed in the east is flat out unrealistic at this point.
    Was it ever realistic though? I mean did anyone other than die hard fanboys really think the Raptors are true contenders? It was clear from the get-go that they had glaring weaknesses, and we knew this day would come eventually when those weaknesses would either a) be exploited or b) they wouldn't be able to make up for them.

Problem now though, is that the Raptors have zero bargaining chips so those weaknesses can't really be addressed.

Comment

• I would have loved to have seen Casey's Christmas list.... I'm sure it included Mugsy Bogues or Earl Boykins at the 4
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• There was a time when I thought the raptors had a good shot at 1st in the East, although even in that case I still don't think they would have been a favourite to win the ECF.

First is probably unrealistic, but 2nd is still very much in play. Before the season started I had the raps at the top of the second tier which included Raps, Wiz, Hawks. If the Raps at the end of the season are at the bottom of that list that'll be a disappointment for me regardless of seeding. Both Bulls and Cavs have more talent to work with, but what will separate Hawks-Wiz-Raps will be coaching and intangibles. Losing in those categories will be tough.

I don't think Casey is a long term solution, but I also don't know who I would want to replace him. If I'm Masai, I probably don't fire him during the regular season unless Lowry, Amir, and Derozan come to me and tell he has to go. If those three guys are behind him I let him ride it out to the playoffs, and base whether I fire him on how I evaluated him in the post season.

I think we've got long term solution at GM, and it would be amazing if we could find a long term solution coach. I can't really think of anybody. Although I'd probably give Blatt a shot if he gets fired from Cleveland. JVG is probably a good choice. Secretly, I'm hoping he pulls a Popovich and fires his head coach, replaces himself with a new GM, and coaches himself and acts like a the coach+GM, for a season or two until he can find that franchise coach.

Maybe it would blow up in his (and our face), but I kinda like the idea. Either way, the more important thing is we need to find a top quality coach, not just more place holders. Maybe that coach isn't out there right now, but we need to be on the lookout for him/her and snatch them up as soon as possible.

I didn't ever think that this team was Championship calibre, so you can get away with not having a championship calibre coach, but if we really want win the whole thing we'll have to get one at some point. I do think that in the long term good management and good coaching are what is really going to separate successful teams and unsuccessful teams, and I'd much rather be in the former than the latter.
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• SamMitchells wrote: View Post
          well theres no way Casey getting fired during the season. Unless they lose like 20 in a row because it would make Masai look like a total fool for signing him to 3 years.
          2 years - team option for 3rd

The contract was not a vote of confidence rather maintaining status quo for the short term.

I think I've said this before but Casey has always been a stepping stone.... although right now he is turning in to a landmine.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            2 years - team option for 3rd

The contract was not a vote of confidence rather maintaining status quo for the short term.

I think I've said this before but Casey has always been a stepping stone.... although right now he is turning in to a landmine.
            players have stepped on it and are afraid to lift their foot off
            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Terrible coach ! He waits way too long to call time outs after other team is on a run he waits for our lead to be completely gone before he calls a time out! In a time out the plays which are called in a time out are ridiculous usually end up in a turn over. J.V. hardly ever sees the fourth quarter. Ross should not be starting , we get nothing out of him. Amir cannot handle the minutes any more ; just not healthy enough . Pat Patterson and I think James Johnson should be starting until we make a trade for a good small forward or a good power forward. If not then leave J. J. and P.P. in starting lineup. Ross has got worse this year! They say Casey is a great defensive coach when and where do the raptors play defense. On offence Casey should turn that duty over to an assistant coach who may actually run plays instead of all iso plays which the raptors all ways use. As I said he is a terrible coach!!!!

Comment

• badbob wrote: View Post
                Terrible coach ! He waits way too long to call time outs after other team is on a run he waits for our lead to be completely gone before he calls a time out! In a time out the plays which are called in a time out are ridiculous usually end up in a turn over. J.V. hardly ever sees the fourth quarter. Ross should not be starting , we get nothing out of him. Amir cannot handle the minutes any more ; just not healthy enough . Pat Patterson and I think James Johnson should be starting until we make a trade for a good small forward or a good power forward. If not then leave J. J. and P.P. in starting lineup. Ross has got worse this year! They say Casey is a great defensive coach when and where do the raptors play defense. On offence Casey should turn that duty over to an assistant coach who may actually run plays instead of all iso plays which the raptors all ways use. As I said he is a terrible coach!!!!
                In my opinion, plays are for strategic use.

A system is the best way to go.

Something that promotes on and off ball movement and works within the flow of the game.

Raptors don't have that. It is either "my turn, your turn" or set up a play for a long jumper.

Comment

Something that promotes on and off ball movement and works within the flow of the game.

Raptors don't have that. It is either "my turn, your turn" or set up a play for a long jumper.
                  Having a couple of goto plays that result in an open three or layup is in every good coaches pocket along with the teamwork that can execute. Takes a lot of burden off players shoulders. Drawing up plays is playoff stuff and overrated.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    Having a couple of goto plays that result in an open three or layup is in every good coaches pocket along with the teamwork that can execute. Takes a lot of burden off players shoulders. Drawing up plays is playoff stuff and overrated.
                    The alley oops that was going everywhere is the type of plays Raptors need. It looked like shit but over time it is a weapon that leads to easy twos. Drawing up threes that arent in transistion for 2Pats and Ross too. Raptors have none of these.

Comment

• I would love to see Casey make an adjustment..
                      Like at least attempt something, this racist has the philosophy of " if it ain't broke don't fix it"
                      Naw dude, something is broken , stop blaming the players and start teaching some plays.

How can JV score 30 points shooting above 60% then not get 10 Fg attempts in any games after that.
                      Was that game a pure fluke? He likes the ball close to the basket. And ISO out for him. He's the one that deserves ISO on this team not Lou. When they don't ISO is actually when the double team pressure is easier and he gets stripped , definitely something he's got to work on himself.
                      2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

I'm not sure I agree.

When we had Rudy, we were definitely consciously trying to iso. Casey has said as much.

But after the trade, we moved to a lot more horns, and the ball was zipping around a ton.

What I think we're seeing now is a system that has been scouted; the isos are a symptom of a broken system. I said in the game thread, other teams seem to be anticipating our every move. They are pinning us on the perimeter and we don't have a solution.

It is the pattern of our losses writ large: early success, other team adjusts, we don't or can't adjust back, and everything goes to hell.

But our offense isn't even the biggest problem. Our D has been hot garbage. And you have to wonder how much of that is again due to scouting. We've made it no secret that we don't ice. I think good coaches can exploit our rigidity. Which goes back to Casey... He has long shown an inflexibility which I think is anathema to creative problem solving.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          I'm not sure I agree.

When we had Rudy, we were definitely consciously trying to iso. Casey has said as much.

But after the trade, we moved to a lot more horns, and the ball was zipping around a ton.

What I think we're seeing now is a system that has been scouted; the isos are a symptom of a broken system. I said in the game thread, other teams seem to be anticipating our every move. They are pinning us on the perimeter and we don't have a solution.

It is the pattern of our losses writ large: early success, other team adjusts, we don't or can't adjust back, and everything goes to hell.

But our offense isn't even the biggest problem. Our D has been hot garbage. And you have to wonder how much of that is again due to scouting. We've made it no secret that we don't ice. I think good coaches can exploit our rigidity. Which goes back to Casey... He has long shown an inflexibility which I think is anathema to creative problem solving.
                          Even with the horns, teams can scout and adjust accordingly.

When it comes to teams like San Antonio or Atlanta, you can't stop that.

Players read and react based on what the defense does.

That is basketball - that is how you play.

.....and throw in a scattered play just to exploit when opportunity presents itself.

The defense is hot garbage. When Zach Lowe is writing the breakdown, you can bet the other 29 teams were weeks ahead of him.

Comment

• I personally don't think our players are smart enough to run San Antonio system.

Casey is a good coach and my problem with him is sticks to long with things that don't work. Like our players he gets tunnel vision sonetimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                              I personally don't think our players are smart enough to run San Antonio system.

Casey is a good coach and my problem with him is sticks to long with things that don't work. Like our players he gets tunnel vision sonetimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Nailed it.

Competition in sports, business, or human evolution for that matter, is all about adapting to changing environments. The league has adjusted to the Casey's offensive and defensive strategies.

We could have Lebron, Durant, Anthony Davis, Chris Paul and Marc Gasol out there. It still wouldn't matter. The league knows how to exploit weaknesses in the system itself. The system must be changed, or tweaked.

This sort of reminds me of the NHL way back. In the 80's you had the high scoring superstar era, featuring Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, etc... Then the New Jersey Devils figured out a system to beat the superstars - the neutral zone trap. That completed changed the game, and led to a low-scoring, boring era, and eventually to rule changes a decade or so later.

I wonder if we're entering an era like that in the NBA. You've got Thibs/Vogel's defensive system and Pop/Bud's offensive systems successfully exploiting the current rules. Casey is definitely going against the grain on both sides of the ball, so he's either a genius, or a relic.

"Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative." - H.G. Wells

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                Nailed it.

Competition in sports, business, or human evolution for that matter, is all about adapting to changing environments. The league has adjusted to the Casey's offensive and defensive strategies.

We could have Lebron, Durant, Anthony Davis, Chris Paul and Marc Gasol out there. It still wouldn't matter. The league knows how to exploit weaknesses in the system itself. The system must be changed, or tweaked.

This sort of reminds me of the NHL way back. In the 80's you had the high scoring superstar era, featuring Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, etc... Then the New Jersey Devils figured out a system to beat the superstars - the neutral zone trap. That completed changed the game, and led to a low-scoring, boring era, and eventually to rule changes a decade or so later.

I wonder if we're entering an era like that in the NBA. You've got Thibs/Vogel's defensive system and Pop/Bud's offensive systems successfully exploiting the current rules. Casey is definitely going against the grain on both sides of the ball, so he's either a genius, or a relic.

"Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative." - H.G. Wells
                                Trapping the ball hander doesn't work against teams like the Hawks and Spurs because pretty much any other player can start an action anyplace on the court. See NBA finals Heat vs Spurs. The trap just causes 4 v 3 somewhere else. Only teams weak against the trap are ISO guard teams like the Raptors. Even the Suns can split or avoid the trap by sending the ball to another guard.

Comment

Working...
                                X