Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Nailed it.

Competition in sports, business, or human evolution for that matter, is all about adapting to changing environments. The league has adjusted to the Casey's offensive and defensive strategies.

We could have Lebron, Durant, Anthony Davis, Chris Paul and Marc Gasol out there. It still wouldn't matter. The league knows how to exploit weaknesses in the system itself. The system must be changed, or tweaked.

This sort of reminds me of the NHL way back. In the 80's you had the high scoring superstar era, featuring Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, etc... Then the New Jersey Devils figured out a system to beat the superstars - the neutral zone trap. That completed changed the game, and led to a low-scoring, boring era, and eventually to rule changes a decade or so later.

I wonder if we're entering an era like that in the NBA. You've got Thibs/Vogel's defensive system and Pop/Bud's offensive systems successfully exploiting the current rules. Casey is definitely going against the grain on both sides of the ball, so he's either a genius, or a relic.

"Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative." - H.G. Wells
    Casey found away to create space for deroZan by puting his power forward on the 3 point line. I don't like that he lives on that but it is creative.

He needs to figure out how to use Jonas. Me personally I would post up at the beginning of every quarter instead of just at the beginning of games. Also after long TV timeouts and under 3 minutes at the end of games when the game slows down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
      Trapping the ball hander doesn't work against teams like the Hawks and Spurs because pretty much any other player can start an action anyplace on the court. See NBA finals Heat vs Spurs. The trap just causes 4 v 3 somewhere else. Only teams weak against the trap are ISO guard teams like the Raptors. Even the Suns can split or avoid the trap by sending the ball to another guard.
      The best trapping team I seen was Larry Browns Detroit team with billups , rip, Lindsay hunter, prince and both Wallace s. We need a second shot blocker

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
        Alright, try to come up with a coach that is available that you'd replace Casey with.

It's not easy. Mark Jackson or Mike Malone aren't the kind of coaches you fire Casey for.

I wonder if Jeff Van Gundy will ever coach again.
        Promote Nick Nurse to head coach. He's most likely going to get poached in the offseason, so why not give him a shot at righting the ship? Costs us nothing and we still have our precious "continuity."

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
          I'm not sure I agree.

When we had Rudy, we were definitely consciously trying to iso. Casey has said as much.

But after the trade, we moved to a lot more horns, and the ball was zipping around a ton.

What I think we're seeing now is a system that has been scouted; the isos are a symptom of a broken system. I said in the game thread, other teams seem to be anticipating our every move. They are pinning us on the perimeter and we don't have a solution.

It is the pattern of our losses writ large: early success, other team adjusts, we don't or can't adjust back, and everything goes to hell.

But our offense isn't even the biggest problem. Our D has been hot garbage. And you have to wonder how much of that is again due to scouting. We've made it no secret that we don't ice. I think good coaches can exploit our rigidity. Which goes back to Casey... He has long shown an inflexibility which I think is anathema to creative problem solving.
          I think it's simple. Teams have figure out that we're a guard oriented team so they're trying to trap them. Now, if they can't do that, they pack the paint against DD and Lowry. Combine this with Lowry's and Ross' stone cold shooting and you have a slump.
          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
            The best trapping team I seen was Larry Browns Detroit team with billups , rip, Lindsay hunter, prince and both Wallace s. We need a second shot blocker

Teams don't ISO anymore.

Comment

• The Hawks are the antivenom to Caseys poison:

Doc Rivers, another famous old Hawk who now coaches the Los Angeles Clippers, could not have agreed more.

"You can see the city is turned on by this team," he said. "It’s the way they play that the city loves.

It's a lesson to whomever becomes the new owner of the Atlanta Hawks, and to every other owner scratching his head when he reviews his attendance and revenue books. This weird thing called winning basketball, played in a fundamentally sound way with unselfishness ...

It turns out, that sells.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/writer...erger/24975715

Comment

• Bayno would probably be a fine replacement for Casey if Masai wants to give him the hook early. Bayno if I recall was hand picked by Masai. He's got a lot of experience as well.

Sometimes the easiest move to right a sinking ship is to alter the coach. A trade can be too difficult. Although I don't see how the Raptors fall to the Nets even if they keep Casey. Will be interesting to see what Masai does.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Bayno would probably be a fine replacement for Casey if Masai wants to give him the hook early. Bayno if I recall was hand picked by Masai. He's got a lot of experience as well.

Sometimes the easiest move to right a sinking ship is to alter the coach. A trade can be too difficult. Although I don't see how the Raptors fall to the Nets even if they keep Casey. Will be interesting to see what Masai does.
                  Hollin would post up Lopez and ISO Joe like he did in Memphis with ZBo and Gay. Rinse and repeat until the second round.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    Hollin would post up Lopez and ISO Joe like he did in Memphis with ZBo and Gay. Rinse and repeat until the second round.
                    By "fall" I meant in the standings.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      By "fall" I meant in the standings.
                      They can't mathematically fall out of the playoffs in the East. They have to play like it or not. Has anybody in BKN even acknowledged they are in a playoff spot ahead of CHA and the Pistons and just a couple back of Miami.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                        Promote Nick Nurse to head coach. He's most likely going to get poached in the offseason, so why not give him a shot at righting the ship? Costs us nothing and we still have our precious "continuity."
                        Couldn't hurt.

Comment

• Greg Anthony is available.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• lets hire terrence ross's mom as head coach. she used to ball and can probably slap terrence back into game form.

Comment

• I'm giving this team until the trade deadline before I call for Casey's head. It's rough now, but he's atleast earned the right to see if he can get this team through this rough patch. First signs of trouble in over a year, this used to be the norm for us.

At the trade deadline if nothing changes I think that's when u look to make a change. Still gives time to right the ship before the playoffs and could be the jolt the team needs.

I know some guys are going to complain about some of his atrocious decision making (Vasquez on Evans). I think it had more to do with giving Vasquez a chance to be a stopper and see if it could inspire guys going forward. As a coach you have to give guys a chance to step outside of their bubble and see if they can step up. Obviously it blew up in their face miraculously but, somehow, at this point in time, I can't atleast see the thought process. Even though I don't agree with it.
                              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                              Because its 2015

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                                I'm giving this team until the trade deadline before I call for Casey's head. It's rough now, but he's atleast earned the right to see if he can get this team through this rough patch. First signs of trouble in over a year, this used to be the norm for us.

At the trade deadline if nothing changes I think that's when u look to make a change. Still gives time to right the ship before the playoffs and could be the jolt the team needs.

I know some guys are going to complain about some of his atrocious decision making (Vasquez on Evans). I think it had more to do with giving Vasquez a chance to be a stopper and see if it could inspire guys going forward. As a coach you have to give guys a chance to step outside of their bubble and see if they can step up. Obviously it blew up in their face miraculously but, somehow, at this point in time, I can't atleast see the thought process. Even though I don't agree with it.
                                That's an interesting theory.

I also wonder if Casey/the coaching staff was/is pissed with JJ. He barely played yesterday. They might not have wanted to 'reward' him by giving him that chance on that last play, or they might not have had confidence that his head was really in the game.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X