Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    That's an interesting theory.

I also wonder if Casey/the coaching staff was/is pissed with JJ. He barely played yesterday. They might not have wanted to 'reward' him by giving him that chance on that last play, or they might not have had confidence that his head was really in the game.
    Am I crazy, or did Casey actually use JV to close the fourth quarter last night? That might be a sign of Casey shifting gears, and it's something Raptor fans have been pining for — Stop making rotations based on match-ups and focus more on rewarding effort.

Maybe Casey's strategy is going back to coaching the team like underdogs/scrubs that have to earn their minutes and not take them for granted. It's not a bad idea for this bunch of guys. I don't know if it will work, but he's got to motivate these guys somehow. They kind of buckled under the pressure once they started acting like contenders and opposing teams locked in on them.

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
      Am I crazy, or did Casey actually use JV to close the fourth quarter last night? That might be a sign of Casey shifting gears, and it's something Raptor fans have been pining for — Stop making rotations based on match-ups and focus more on rewarding effort.

Maybe Casey's strategy is going back to coaching the team like underdogs/scrubs that have to earn their minutes and not take them for granted. It's not a bad idea for this bunch of guys. I don't know if it will work, but he's got to motivate these guys somehow. They kind of buckled under the pressure once they started acting like contenders and opposing teams locked in on them.
      Or he was setting up a game winning poster with GV and JV.

Comment

• I just wanna point something out - Portland got off to an unsustainably hot start last year, and played .500 ball from about the new year forward, but no one panicked, and look where they are now.

If you've been preaching patience and continuity, you don't all of a sudden come out of left field and shake up the entire team because they've played badly for a stretch.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
          I just wanna point something out - Portland got off to an unsustainably hot start last year, and played .500 ball from about the new year forward, but no one panicked, and look where they are now.

If you've been preaching patience and continuity, you don't all of a sudden come out of left field and shake up the entire team because they've played badly for a stretch.
          They're in the West finishing with only 28 losses is an achievement. Raptors are terrible on offense and defense but Weill win near 50 games just due to terrible Eastern teams. They could sweep the division which is 2-4 fewer losses than other teams

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
            They're in the West finishing with only 28 losses is an achievement. Raptors are terrible on offense and defense but Weill win near 50 games just due to terrible Eastern teams. They could sweep the division which is 2-4 fewer losses than other teams
            you missed the point.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

you missed the point.
              The point is they only lost 28 games in the West but still had a terrific offense. Teams lose but they don't implode on both sides of the ball. Its the eye test that causes panic

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                The point is they only lost 28 games in the West but still had a terrific offense. Teams lose but they don't implode on both sides of the ball. Its the eye test that causes panic
                Teams can't go .500 for long stretches and with 66% of games.

Comment

I just wanna point something out - Portland got off to an unsustainably hot start last year, and played .500 ball from about the new year forward, but no one panicked, and look where they are now.

except portland got better this year. portland was a team with mediocre defense last season. this year, they're top 10.

meanwhile, we got way worse than last year.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                    except portland got better this year. portland was a team with mediocre defense last season. this year, they're top 10.

meanwhile, we got way worse than last year.
                    Team defense usually gets better with continuity but under Casey it always gets worse

Comment

• Long time reader, first time poster. I'm not sure I can add anymore to the list of Casey's pros and cons since pretty much all of them have been pointed out in this thread. However, for a young team like the Raptors, I strongly believe that coaching intangibles go a longer way than people realize. Obviously, very few of us have zero idea what goes on pre-game, during halftime, during timeouts, etc, but it really doesn't seem like Casey is an inspirational coach at all. Judging by Open Gym, he always has the exact same post-game banter, whether they lose or win. Someone pointed out that an underrated problem is that Casey keeps preaching defence but gets none of it from the players. Shouldn't this be a concern? After all, he's the head coach and should not have issues with players listening to him. Otherwise that's a whole other issue. I guess it just seems like all the players need is a good motivational speech during halftime or during key timeouts at the end of games. Pop, SVG, Doc Rivers and a lot of the other great coaches employ this "college" style approach. It seems undervalued. Light a fire under their asses Case!

Comment

Well man. It looks like every flaw we call DC for are issues that have existed for a while now. It's not the slump which has caused people to speak up/ show their concern with the head coach. This slump has only opened the eyes of those who were " on the fence " with regards to the head coach.
                        Personally I think the BIGGEST ISSUE at this very moment is the lack of adjustments being made / preached. DC has to have a back up plan. It's not like this is the Triangle Offence in NY. The offence is void and fully dependent on outstanding play from individual play.
                        Now that everyone has studied you and your style of play what do you do ?

If nothing is the answer then either I am crazy and don't know shit about basketball or the coach simply sucks and has no answer.
                        2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

• Sorry but if what you mean is that Casey shouldn't be fired after tonight's game then of course , that would be ridiculous I think .
                          2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

• slogan wrote: View Post
                            Long time reader, first time poster. I'm not sure I can add anymore to the list of Casey's pros and cons since pretty much all of them have been pointed out in this thread. However, for a young team like the Raptors, I strongly believe that coaching intangibles go a longer way than people realize. Obviously, very few of us have zero idea what goes on pre-game, during halftime, during timeouts, etc, but it really doesn't seem like Casey is an inspirational coach at all. Judging by Open Gym, he always has the exact same post-game banter, whether they lose or win. Someone pointed out that an underrated problem is that Casey keeps preaching defence but gets none of it from the players. Shouldn't this be a concern? After all, he's the head coach and should not have issues with players listening to him. Otherwise that's a whole other issue. I guess it just seems like all the players need is a good motivational speech during halftime or during key timeouts at the end of games. Pop, SVG, Doc Rivers and a lot of the other great coaches employ this "college" style approach. It seems undervalued. Light a fire under their asses Case!
                            Welcome to the posting side haha.

But I don't think that's the issue, I think Casey's a good players coach and it seems like everyone respects him. Just my opinion

Comment

• #firethefans
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                                #firethefans
                                Agreed. We're all rubbish

Comment

Working...
                                X