#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let's hope Novak never ends up in San Antonio or Atlanta
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/pa...-billy-donovan

List of Top50 college coaches according to ESPN.

List at bottom.

Most are unrealistic.
      So in addition to the college above, here are the "next wave of head coaching prospects" .....

Ed Pinckney, Chicago Bulls assistant coach

Though they’d deign to admit it, some former players feel head coaches can farm out much of the grind that accompanies the position in the NBA. That wouldn't be the case for Pinckney, who has quickly established a reputation as an inexhaustible worker bee.

As an assistant for Tom Thibodeau, Pinckney has flourished under a serious coach who fetishizes preparation. At the same time, Pinckney has friends all over the game from a lifetime of building up goodwill in basketball as a pro's pro and a teacher.

“Guys would love to play for him,” an assistant NBA coach says. “Anyone who has been around him knows how hard he works and how much he cares. His players would go through walls for him and have a good time doing it.”

The Grizzlies brass was deeply impressed by Pinckney when it invited him in twice last summer during a search that ended with longtime assistant Joerger being elevated to the first chair. With his fluency in Thibodeau's defense, pleasant disposition and intuitive understanding of what it means to be a big man in the NBA, Pinckney is a smart bet to see the inside of a conference room again this summer.

Adrian Griffin, Chicago Bulls assistant coach

Odd as it seems to pair a couple of Thibodeau bench assistants on a diverse list of seven prospective head coaches, Pinckney and Griffin both attracted heavy mention, usually independent of each other.

Griffin is not yet 40 -- 39 until July, he's more than 11 years younger than Pinckney -- which means there are a bunch of people in the game who have watched him grow up from youth camps to his stint now as a lead assistant to Thibodeau. Those who have say that, since high school, Griffin has displayed a polished maturity that screams NBA head coach.

He had barely filed his retirement papers in 2008 when Scott Skiles and the Milwaukee Bucks offered him a job as an assistant. After two seasons with the Bucks, Griffin joined Thibodeau, with whom he’s developed a close relationship. After coaching the Bulls’ summer-league squad, Griffin stuck around Las Vegas to pitch in at Team USA’s minicamp.

“You combine that kind of professionalism with that kind of mentorship and you’re going to have a good chance to succeed,” a general manager says.

The result is a coaching prospect who was characterized by one league insider as “a player-friendly Tom Thibodeau.”

David Vanterpool, Portland Trail Blazers assistant coach

It’s rare in the NBA for someone on the fast track toward management to get off and join a much longer line to become an NBA coach. Yet that’s what Vanterpool did when he left the Thunder front office to join Terry Stotts’ staff in Portland.

Vanterpool was a quick study and likely a future executive in the league, but it tormented him to know there was high-grade basketball development going on in his midst, only it wasn't happening in his department.

“He has a way with players,” a front-office executive says. “He was a tough overseas player who worked at his game.”

Vanterpool both played and coached for Messina in Moscow, an affiliation that means something in an increasingly international league. The two-year stint in the Oklahoma City front office is also the kind of interdisciplinary experience valued by shops like San Antonio. Add to all that a penchant for independent thought, a willingness to admit what you don’t know and a reputation as a solid, agreeable person and a young team could have a head coach to grow up with.

Jim Boylen, San Antonio Spurs assistant coach

Thanks to the success of Steve Clifford in Charlotte, the nomadic, 50-ish, affable, well-respected grinder has come into fashion. And if you’re looking for a prototype, Boylen might be it.

Boylen, not to be confused with former Bulls and Bucks head coach Jim Boylan, sat alongside Rudy Tomjanovich for over a decade and was a lead assistant to Tom Izzo. After four rough seasons at the University of Utah -- “The guy hates recruiting, what can you say?” says a Boylen sympathizer -- he landed with Frank Vogel in Indiana, where he restored his rep as a guy who truly loves to get on the floor and work with players and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty with game preparation.

“He’s been the best guy on almost every staff he’s ever been on,” an NBA general manager says last week prior to Ty Corbin’s departure from Utah. “And the fact that Pop hired him gives him the ultimate stamp of approval.”

An owner looking for sex appeal won’t want to see a glossy image of Boylen on the cover of a season-ticket appeal packet. But there’s a strong consensus that Boylen is an extremely capable lifer who rarely has trouble connecting with players or peers.
      http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...hing-prospects

Above list also had Tony Bennett and Kevin Ollie.

Comment

• Then you have your retreads:

Rick Adelman - He is done.
        Larry Brown - too old to grow with this team and unstable: which Brown do you get?
        Carlisemo - nope
        Butch Carter - hmmmmmm, if John Gibbons can come back.......
        Mo Cheeks - NEXT!
        Doug Collins - negative
        Michael Curry - I really don't know
        D'Antoni - no
        Del NEgro - ahhhh no
        Larry Drew - Nah
        Mike Dunleavy - Trying to be an owner - and no
        Tim Floyd - any thing related to circa early 2000 Bulls gets a no
        Lawrence Frank - lol
        Cotton Fitzsimmons - wouldn't that be sweet
        Mike Fratello - the czar!
        Alvin Gentry - better than most options here
        Marc Iavoroni - he blew his chance
        Mark Jackson - E-G-O, N-O!
        Avery Johnson - with Lowry? lol - no
        Eddie Jordan - Princeton!?!?!?! ummm no
        George Karl - Lenny Part Deux
        Mike Malone - better than most here
        Nate McMillan - if only his last name was Dogg
        Eric Musselman - DUI guy
        Jim O'Brien - i giggled typing
        Kevin O'Neill - I burst out loud laughing typing
        Terry Porter - no
        Pat Riley - I hear he is looking for a more comfy gig
        Scott Skiles - will get the most out of the team for one season - max
        Isiah Thomas - The Return
        JVG - sideline commentating is a good gig, ask the czar!
        Darrell Walker - the painful memories
        Mike Woodson - Stinks of Knicks

Comment

• Reboc wrote: View Post
          This thread makes me hate RR.
          It's a waste of time really, all this speculation lol.

I'm pretty sure, 100% sure. Dwane Casey is not going anywhere.
          Last edited by The Great One; Sun Jan 25, 2015, 07:43 PM.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Hilarious list.

Fratello might be too old.

JVG has such a cushy and fun job I don't think you can get him back for less than 5 million a year.

What happened with Avery Johnson?

Mike Malone is looking more and more palatable.

Comment

• Don't forget Bayno and Nurse. Use'em or lose'em a new coach will also bring in assistants

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                It's a waste of time really, all this speculation lol.

I'm pretty sure, 100% sure. Dwane Casey is not going anywhere.
                You're probably right, but we can dream and vent here.

Comment

• Too bad Jerry Sloan is like 90 years old. He'd actually be my first choice.

Comment

• Ron Adams could end up as the next Thibs.. just not as scary.

Comment

• Isn't it funny how DJ Augustin has basically thrived under every coach he's played for, except Casey?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Isn't it funny how DJ Augustin has basically thrived under every coach he's played for, except Casey?
                        I would say "since Casey", because when he came to Toronto he was on the verge of washing out of the league. Pacers fans hated him IIRC.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          I would say "since Casey", because when he came to Toronto he was on the verge of washing out of the league. Pacers fans hated him IIRC.
                          True, but he was a pretty serviceable player in Charlotte too.

Comment

• Casey must be quite proud that his dedicated-to-firing thread is active and thriving (35 pages and counting) on RR.

"that motherfuckin blograg" he hisses.

Comment

• Just speculation but MU was in the building when Casey decides to run plays to end quarters. Plays looked like Nick Nurse ones.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                                Just speculation but MU was in the building when Casey decides to run plays to end quarters. Plays looked like Nick Nurse ones.
                                I did notice and enjoy that at least some offensive plays were actually designed and executed. Not only the last shot of the quarter but throughout the game.
                                Either they are reading our forums or what we have been criticizing them for is simply the truth.
                                2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

Working...
                                X