#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Lowry has an AST% of 35.3 this year. That's the highest AST% of his career.
    JV has played 1133 minutes this season. No other player has 700+ minutes with an AST% lower than Jonas 2.6.
    Lowry is at a career high usage, so his AST% is supposed to go up almost by default. The really disturbing part are Vasquez, Demar and Lou who are at career high usage, but career low AST%. That's some serious ball hogging going on there.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      Jonas is also expected to score on much of his touches. They do not even run any motion much of the time. Guys just stand and watch. And sometimes they shift everyone over to the other side of the floor, giving him no easy pass as an outlet. iso plays
      I don't think Jonas will ever be an amazing passer, but when there are actually passing opportunities for him, he's shown the ability to hit guys with solid passes. Again, they just don't organize the offence to create many passing options for him.
      Jonas does get a lot of iso's, AKA the only Raptor iso's no one complains about.

Don't think there is any player in the NBA that can't toss the odd good pass now and then.

And I don't think Casey wants him to pass either, Play to his strength.
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• The stupid thing about this JJ benching is that we will absolutely, 100% need him for heavy minutes in the playoffs. I can already see Casey dusting him off in game 2 of a series to guard, like, Lebron, after he hasn't played for three months.

It should be GV or Lou who has their minutes cut, but our offence/success is so dependent on at least one of them getting hot each game, Casey's to afraid to go away from them.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Jonas does get a lot of iso's, AKA the only Raptor iso's no one complains about.

Don't think there is any player in the NBA that can't toss the odd good pass now and then.

Because they're post ups. Much different, and better, than a fade away 18-footer.

I don't think anyone here has a problem when we isolate Lowry, or Demar, or hell even GV in the post, when the opportunity's there.

Jonas can see the court well. I've seen him make passes with a degree of difficulty beyond the ability of many NBA players, and well beyond the ability of the majority of the 7-footers in the league. As others have mentioned, his low assist numbers come from the fact that he never has the chance for one. Literally the only time that he does is out of a broken play.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            Because they're post ups. Much different, and better, than a fade away 18-footer.

I don't think anyone here has a problem when we isolate Lowry, or Demar, or hell even GV in the post, when the opportunity's there.

Jonas can see the court well. I've seen him make passes with a degree of difficulty beyond the ability of many NBA players, and well beyond the ability of the majority of the 7-footers in the league. As others have mentioned, his low assist numbers come from the fact that he never has the chance for one. Literally the only time that he does is out of a broken play.
            Team plays outside in. Instead of inside out.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              Lowry is at a career high usage, so his AST% is supposed to go up almost by default. The really disturbing part are Vasquez, Demar and Lou who are at career high usage, but career low AST%. That's some serious ball hogging going on there.
              Might want to recheck your numbers.

DeMar's AST%, is way down from last year, but the 2nd highest in his career this season.

Both Vasquez and Lou had lower numbers their rookie seasons.

Lou's numbers aren't just down though - they're about half of what he's been putting up for years. Yes, he has been doing serious ball hogging this year.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                Team plays outside in. Instead of inside out.
                Moist big assists are big to big, not inside out.

Comment

A post iso is different than perimeter ISO. Usually results in a higher % shot, even when being performed by a perimeter player. But regarding passing, it's great time to run some off-ball movement to try and find a crack in the D. It's harder to exploit cracks in the D (in terms of passing) from the perimeter ISO. The D can contract and block the lane a bit more, making it harder to run some movement to free up cutters. And doubles don't come until the ballhandler gets into the lane.

But again, guys just stand still a lotwhen we post JV, and there are few opportunities to pass. Even kicking it back out is sometimes made harder by us shifting everyone else to basically the other half of the court. So when the double comes, the remaining defenders have a lot less space/angles to cover, and it doesn't really give JV an easy outlet.

Jonas has thrown good passes. Again, there's just rarely a real opportunity. He may not be Divac or Sabonis, but he can make good passes.

Comment

Very few teams can go big to big and some don't have 2 bigs. The teams like Memphis and Chicago have a Gasol. High - Low with Amir and JV works but that doesn't help JV since he shouldn't be passing to Amir. Usually its the Center passing into the corner to prevent the guard doubling.

Comment

He's talking about play style, basically posting a big up or something to with a big and then having them hit a shooter or score.

Comment

• I was just pulling chains with the Jonas iso remark. Just the term iso seems to hit raw nerve with everyone.

I don't buy the great passing of Jonas though. I've seen a couple and that's it, also some bad passes, but few of them also. He's not a very good passer and he doesn't pass much. Better than forcing it. If only DeMar thought the same way about 16 ft jumpers.

Comment

I was just pulling chains with the Jonas iso remark. Just the term iso seems to hit raw nerve with everyone.

I don't buy the great passing of Jonas though. I've seen a couple and that's it, also some bad passes, but few of them also. He's not a very good passer and he doesn't pass much. Better than forcing it. If only DeMar thought the same way about 16 ft jumpers.
                          I agree with JV's passing. I think it is something he could work on. You would never see JV facilitate from the elbow like Bogut can. JV always looks to shoot (and get fouled). Thats one thing he needs to work on for when he gets double teamed, finding the open guy. Cousins is really good at that, he will fizz a pass to a shooter on the weak side.

Considering that most of the Raps are good cutters JV's increased passing ability would be largely beneficial.

Comment

• AST% is used to correct for teams that have low assist rates, but it ignores usage. AST rate is assists per 100 individual possessions used.

JV's rate is 3.5 assists per 100 used possessions. This is below average for a C, but not crazy low. Other C's below 4:
                            Brook Lopez
                            Andre Drummond
                            Ends Kanter
                            Bismack Biyombo
                            Hassan Whiteside (for all those in love with him lately)

And a bunch of others below 8 (bottom half among C's):
                            Dwight Howard
                            Marreese Speights
                            Anthony Davis
                            DeAndre Jordan
                            Alex Len
                            Tristan Thompson
                            Timofey Mozgov
                            Nikola Pekovic
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              AST% is used to correct for teams that have low assist rates, but it ignores usage. AST rate is assists per 100 individual possessions used.

JV's rate is 3.5 assists per 100 used possessions. This is below average for a C, but not crazy low. Other C's below 4:
                              Brook Lopez
                              Andre Drummond
                              Ends Kanter
                              Bismack Biyombo
                              Hassan Whiteside (for all those in love with him lately)

And a bunch of others below 8 (bottom half among C's):
                              Dwight Howard
                              Marreese Speights
                              Anthony Davis
                              DeAndre Jordan
                              Alex Len
                              Tristan Thompson
                              Timofey Mozgov
                              Nikola Pekovic
                              Doesn't he that the team throws it in to him then runs away like it was a grenade.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                                Doesn't he that the team throws it in to him then runs away like it was a grenade.
                                Doesn't help.

Comment

Working...
                                X