#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    It's fine if you don't like the system Casey employs, but why would Casey change HIS system. It's not like it's been unsuccessful. Can you imagine Pop or Thibs changing their system because because they acquired Lou or DD or some other iso player? The Spurs have been successful forever because all the players they've brought in are made to follow the team system.

That is what Casey is trying to establish here with the Raptors. A championship system which was used to beat the Miami Heat. The system has merit, but players have to adapt to it. Give the key players more time to adapt to it.

#don'tfreeJVuntilhesignsonthecheap
    I don't think near .500 ball over 4 seasons with a first round upset bump out is successful.

Pop has adapted over the years. Absolutely changed his system a few years ago.

I don't think Pop or Thibs acquires an ISO player. They both want players that can play without the ball - a major argument I've had against DD for quite some time.

Comment

• My main question is do you think if popavich became the raptors coach with this squad he would say " we don't have the personal to make passes, isolation works better with our guys".
      I know what raptors999 will say, Casey-lovers respond?
      2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

• SamMitchells wrote: View Post
        My main question is do you think if popavich became the raptors coach with this squad he would say " we don't have the personal to make passes, isolation works better with our guys".
        dude are you concussed
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

My main question is do you think if popavich became the raptors coach with this squad he would say " we don't have the personal to make passes, isolation works better with our guys".
          Pop on the Raptors wouldn't turn them into the Spurs but he would have some sort of system with players that fit those roles. Casey on the Spurs would ISO parker and turn Manu into GV 2.0 while limiting Kawhi to a guy standing at the three or benched since he can't create off the dribble against an entire set defense

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
            48 wins and a first round upset isn't a dynasty. Nobody looks at the Raptors and tries to emulate that offensively or defensively. If anything the Raptors styles are warning flags of things teams try to avoid.
            But how many wins did the team acheive the year before, or the year before that. They've continued to improve using Casey's system every single year and there is no reason to doubt that trend won't continue.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              I don't think near .500 ball over 4 seasons with a first round upset bump out is successful.

Pop has adapted over the years. Absolutely changed his system a few years ago.

I don't think Pop or Thibs acquires an ISO player. They both want players that can play without the ball - a major argument I've had against DD for quite some time.
              But they aren't playing near .500 ball this season or the past season. They've been playing well above that. And that coincides with the time it takes for players to buy into a new system, learn and execute the system as well as the time it takes for the young players he inherited to learn the game.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                dude are you concussed
                Man iunno what that means. But since it sounds offensive ima ignore it

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                  dude are you concussed
                  Okay I took the time to google. Thanks for the new word.
                  Now since you think I'm confused, why don't you fully explain where and why? I'm not arrogant, I'm willing to listen.
                  I watched every raptor game this season. Sup?

Comment

• raptors999;421324[B wrote:
                    ]Pop on the Raptors wouldn't turn them into the Spurs but he would have some sort of system with players that fit those roles. [/B]Casey on the Spurs would ISO parker and turn Manu into GV 2.0 while limiting Kawhi to a guy standing at the three or benched since he can't create off the dribble against an entire set defense
                    That's exactly what Casey is trying to do. Get the existing players to fit the roles of what made Dallas a championship team.

Comment

But how many wins did the team acheive the year before, or the year before that. They've continued to improve using Casey's system every single year and there is no reason to doubt that trend won't continue.
                      Well, it's going to taper off eventually...unless you think that they can go all the way to 82-0 lol. So the questions is when.

And you have to at least consider that the improvement we've seen comes from any or all of:

- Masai improving the roster.

- Young players getting better.

- The benefit of roster continuity amongst the core players.

Personally I think that the year to year improvement we've seen is due to all of these things and nothing special that Casey's done, and only the most disastrous kind of nba head coach would have seen worse results.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                        Well, it's going to taper off eventually...unless you think that they can go all the way to 82-0 lol. So the questions is when.

And you have to at least consider that the improvement we've seen comes from any or all of:

- Masai improving the roster.

- Young players getting better.

- The benefit of roster continuity amongst the core players.

Personally I think that the year to year improvement we've seen is due to all of these things and nothing special that Casey's done, and only the most disastrous kind of nba head coach would have seen worse results.
                        Although not a popular sentiment, the incredibly weak EC has had at least some influence in determining the Raptors' record over the past couple seasons. As more EC teams improve and see their rebuilding efforts blossom, I think it's fair to think that the wins will start being a little harder to come by, all else being equal.

Comment

That's exactly what Casey is trying to do. Get the existing players to fit the roles of what made Dallas a championship team.
                          I suppose I have a different view as to how coaches should coach.....your personnel determines the best methods to be used.
                          In Dallas, Casey had 3 of the better defensive players at their positions in the league to carry out his plans...Kidd at pg, Marion at sf and most importantly at the time Chandler at c. One of the major flaws in his methods today is trying to have JV adapt to Chandler of the day...making JV execute/hedge to near perimeter defense while also maintaining inthepaint responsibilities. JV does not have Chandler's quickness and probably never will. By that token Chandler was never capable of the offense JV possesses after 2 yrs. in the league.

One other item re a point you made earlier, much of the improvement in the last 2 seasons imo was due primarily to the Rudy Gay trade netting pretty much the second unit on the team. If Gay were not traded are you sure that the iso heavy offense with Gay & DD leading the charge would not have continued? If so DC might not be here right now. Coaches at this level have to adapt ....core principles excepted.

Comment

There is reason to doubt that the net result will be no different. Yes we will win more games this year BUT a first round exit is a likely scenario which puts us no farther ahead. The one point that you are right in is if DC's system gets us enough wins to avoid CLE /CHI in the first round it is working.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                              I suppose I have a different view as to how coaches should coach.....your personnel determines the best methods to be used.
                              In Dallas, Casey had 3 of the better defensive players at their positions in the league to carry out his plans...Kidd at pg, Marion at sf and most importantly at the time Chandler at c. One of the major flaws in his methods today is trying to have JV adapt to Chandler of the day...making JV execute/hedge to near perimeter defense while also maintaining inthepaint responsibilities. JV does not have Chandler's quickness and probably never will. By that token Chandler was never capable of the offense JV possesses after 2 yrs. in the league.

One other item re a point you made earlier, much of the improvement in the last 2 seasons imo was due primarily to the Rudy Gay trade netting pretty much the second unit on the team. If Gay were not traded are you sure that the iso heavy offense with Gay & DD leading the charge would not have continued? If so DC might not be here right now. Coaches at this level have to adapt ....core principles excepted.
                              Really good post

Comment

Really good post
                                Tyson Chandler looked like garbage on D with Woodson. Coaches can make players look good or look really bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X