#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jrice9 wrote: View Post
    The question I have is on the aggregate leaving aside the questionable JJ/Jonas decisions, have the results overall with Casey in the last two seasons really been disappointing in any respect?

Like, if you substituted your favourite coach hiring (when you fire Casey) before the season, is this team really better than the #2 seed with Demar missing 22 games?
    IMHO almost any coach with the Raptors roster would produce the same top 2-4 seed. The Eastern conference is terrible. The Hawks are a good roster with great coaching and might never lose against another Eastern team the rest of the season.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
      IMHO almost any coach with the Raptors roster would produce the same top 2-4 seed. The Eastern conference is terrible. The Hawks are a good roster with great coaching and might never lose against another Eastern team the rest of the season.
      Well that would imply that Casey is about an average coach not the terrible one people are suggesting. If he's living up to expectations, why fire him?

Also I don't think its quite as routine as you imply. The Raptors were always going to win the division barring horrible injuries/coaching disaster (after the way Brooklyn started) which gives them an automoatic top 5 seed (technically top 4 but without home advantage so its essentially the 5th seed guaranteed) and I would argue that while the East is pretty bad, its top 5 isn't. Atlanta is clearly pretty awesome, Chicago was a title favourite prior to the season and has played pretty well and Cleveland was heavily hyped and has at times found its gear (and appears too) while Washington is a good team. The Raptors could easily with a bad coaching job/performance be clearly 5th in this group when in reality they sit right in the middle, which is pretty good.

The goal before this season from almost all fans was 50 wins and appear in the 2nd round. Casey appears to be on route to hitting the first goal and it looks like the 2nd is still definitely in play.

Comment

• Record isn't the only way to evaluate coaches. Player development and team development are just as important if not more. Just have guys play to maintain a W-L record that they could achieve without coaching is short sighted. The Portland, Mavs, Hawks, GSW and Spurs are better than the players on the roster. OKC isn't and losing two players showed the problem.

Comment

Record isn't the only way to evaluate coaches. Player development and team development are just as important if not more. Just have guys play to maintain a W-L record that they could achieve without coaching is short sighted. The Portland, Mavs, Hawks, GSW and Spurs are better than the players on the roster. OKC isn't and losing two players showed the problem.
          Fair enough but the Raptors team development in terms of net rating across the last two seasons is significant.

DeMar and Lowry have gone from being league afterthoughts to league all stars, and Jonas despite all the hate Casey gets on that front has made massive improvement (to the point it seems insane that he doesn't play).

I disagree with some process decisions of his like I would with any coach, but the results across the board seem at least good to me given talent and other factors.

Comment

• Casey is full of flaws. We know it, but 1000 posts in this thread? Are you for real y'all? Be patient, no firing is going to happen until offseason.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
              Casey is full of flaws. We know it, but 1000 posts in this thread? Are you for real y'all? Be patient, no firing is going to happen until offseason.
              The surprising thing is the number of other places that have mentioned Caseys job status. They can't all be on this forum.

Comment

• #FireCasey

This thread.....lol. It's hard to find the lanterns and pitchforks when we're winning huh??

33-15

6 straight wins

Stop hating. Enjoy the best team in Raptors' franchise history. Don't take shit for granted!

#extendcasey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by special1; Sun Feb 1, 2015, 10:38 AM.

Comment

The surprising thing is the number of other places that have mentioned Caseys job status. They can't all be on this forum.
                  Not surprising at all. One example.

Raptors do not play an eye-pleasing style at all offensively . The Spurs look great slinging the ball around for open looks. Raptors run a ton of iso. Spurs ball LOOKS far better. Even though both are effective, fans would much rather watch Spurs-style than Raps-style.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                    This thread.....lol. It's hard to find the lanterns and pitchforks when we're winning huh??

33-15

6 straight wins

Stop hating. Enjoy the best team in Raptors' franchise history. Don't take shit for granted!

#extendcasey

FireCasey guys have a point, but they're crazy to think he'll be fired now.

Just like you, you're crazy to think that Casey earned new contract.

Comment

• #fireorkeepCaseybasedonhisperformanceintheplayoffs becausethatsallthatmatters
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• IMHO
                        The team is only 1 cheap? piece away from being really scary. A lockdown defensive combo guard who can't shoot and knows he can't shoot.

Why?

If he could shoot, he wouldn't be cheap. But it's important he knows to play within his limitations.

As long as he can handle the ball some, he could be paired with Lowry on the 1st unit for stretches, replacing Vasquez.

Lowry, DD are high usage players and JV's usage should be higher. Adding in a low usage player would help JV and not take away from the other 2.

Most importantly, he would neutralize, or at least minimize opposing PG's defensively while he's on the floor.

Not sure who fits this profile, but there has to be someone in the D-League who comes close - even close would be better than Vasquez on the 1st unit. And it's only a stopgap until a defender with a better skillset comes along.

JMO
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                          FireCasey guys have a point, but they're crazy to think he'll be fired now.

Just like you, you're crazy to think that Casey earned new contract.
                          Dude the #extendcasey thing is all jokes

Like DanH said (and I've said the same multiple times in this thread).....I always believed Casey will be judged based on our performance in the playoffs.

I'm not crazy at all!

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                            IMHO
                            The team is only 1 cheap? piece away from being really scary. A lockdown defensive combo guard who can't shoot and knows he can't shoot.

Why?

If he could shoot, he wouldn't be cheap. But it's important he knows to play within his limitations.

As long as he can handle the ball some, he could be paired with Lowry on the 1st unit for stretches, replacing Vasquez.

Lowry, DD are high usage players and JV's usage should be higher. Adding in a low usage player would help JV and not take away from the other 2.

Most importantly, he would neutralize, or at least minimize opposing PG's defensively while he's on the floor.

Not sure who fits this profile, but there has to be someone in the D-League who comes close - even close would be better than Vasquez on the 1st unit. And it's only a stopgap until a defender with a better skillset comes along.

JMO
                            We already have this type of player in JJ or Landry Fields no?? I think Fields fits the bill more (with his ability to cut, can't shoot and his bball IQ). However, we would just run into the same problems of the other teams leaving them wide open and keying in on our best players.

I actually like GV as a starter (gives us 3 reliable ball handlers, 3 reliable play makers and he's a pretty good 3 point shooter when he has his feet set.

Another reason is you can't hate the results so far. PLUS if GV isn't playing well, just bring in Lou or TRoss....

It's been said a million times, but it's true....this team is incredibly hard to beat when the guards are being unselfish and making plays. Lou will be Lou... But Demar, Kyle and GV should pick their spots more and look for the bigs inside and shooters outside. I'm comfortable with Demar taking mid-range shots because he can make them.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                              We already have this type of player in JJ or Landry Fields no?? I think Fields fits the bill more (with his ability to cut, can't shoot and his bball IQ). However, we would just run into the same problems of the other teams leaving them wide open and keying in on our best players.

I actually like GV as a starter (gives us 3 reliable ball handlers, 3 reliable play makers and he's a pretty good 3 point shooter when he has his feet set.

Another reason is you can't hate the results so far. PLUS if GV isn't playing well, just bring in Lou or TRoss....

It's been said a million times, but it's true....this team is incredibly hard to beat when the guards are being unselfish and making plays. Lou will be Lou... But Demar, Kyle and GV should pick their spots more and look for the bigs inside and shooters outside. I'm comfortable with Demar taking mid-range shots because he can make them.

Do you honestly believe JJ or LF can defend PG's? Because they can't.

LF used to be effective against bigger wings. JJ still is, and can also defend the 4.

Have you seen the way we're getting torched by opposing PG's? And Casey has tried everything. Biggest reason we can't hold a lead.

Haven't even gotten into how much this would help JV.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                                Do you honestly believe JJ or LF can defend PG's? Because they can't.

LF used to be effective against bigger wings. JJ still is, and can also defend the 4.

Have you seen the way we're getting torched by opposing PG's? And Casey has tried everything. Biggest reason we can't hold a lead.

Haven't even gotten into how much this would help JV.
                                I guess you haven't noticed that most PGs can't defend each other very well....

I was thinking about scheming to get the ball out of the PGs hands more (make someone else make plays)....like sending a second defender with length type of thing....

I'd like to hear your suggestion though.... Who would you get? "Someone from the D-league" isn't really saying much

Comment

Working...
                                X