Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SamMitchells wrote: View Post
    As i said i have previously said.

Either Casey visits the forums himself or were simply speaking the truth.
    As someone who has been critical of DC I wanted to praise him for his use of JJ last night. We are a different team with JJ seeing significant minutes. He made the right adjustment. Let's hope JJ continues to see significant floor time. The approach to attack the rim was also better last night.

Comment

• I enjoyed last night game too.
      Seemed well coached to be honest, but I wasn't in the right state of mind to give personal judgement.
      But judging by his well respected critics on this forum , he did well.
      Lets see what happens tomorrow : D
      2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
        Based on...
        Which part are you referring to?

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
          Which part are you referring to?
          My cat hitting my hand as I was typing

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
            My cat hitting my hand as I was typing
            This explains a lot....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• No disrespect, but this 'epiphany' is something I've been pointing out since the start of the season.

The team lost in the playoffs partially because we were exposed by lacking guys that could score in ISO's or create their own shot. They obviously adjusted the offense to compensate but went too far in that direction, now they have to reign guys in.

What feels new this year and last night was guys driving from the three point line and kicking out to another guy that had the option to drive or shoot the three. There was a possession where three different guys drove to the basket on the same possession. I thought that was interesting.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                Oh we know the defence is trash.
                Then why is all the discussion about iso ball instead about a defense built on massive rotations.

Do you think the defense is his fault? If so what should we do instead?

Bitching about the offense seems to be a bit dumb when the problem is almost exclusively defensive.
                Reboc wrote: View Post
                honestly...
                Seriously not trolling
                JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                It's true.

Many people, myself included, have a general philosophical and aesthetic disdain for iso-ball. This is what it comes down to.

This morning I've been thinking, though, that we might actually be in good shape for the playoffs. Goes back to what that Raps' stat guy said about assist rate not being tied to success in the playoffs. Scoring becomes very hard then, once teams have had time to scout you out and really hone in on your sets. There's great value to having players who can make reasonable shots out of nothing. Ugly as it can be at times, Lowry, DD, Lou, and even Vasquez can do this well. Most teams don't have as many players who are as effective at this. We probably have a huge advantage here.

Question is, to what degree will this advantage be trumped by Casey's inability to get the right players on the floor at the right times.
                Aesthetic differences are not a reason to complain about coaching. Its a results based business and considering the team's skillset (namely having Demar and Lou and even JV and Lowry and Vasquez to some extent), you would expect more isolations.

Below is the most relevant criticsm and I'll examine it point by point.

Terrible shot selection leads to difficult positions on defence.
                This might be true though I'd like to see some clear evidence of this. Can you show that Iso heavy teams or even teams with more contested shots generally have worse defensive performance than expected.

This team has great offence players. Potentially the best in the league.
                Is this true? Like if we just guessed rosters, you would think the Raptors have the best offensive players in the league.

Like the Warriors, Cavaliers, Clippers, Trail Blazers, Mavericks would come to mind as teams with elite offensive players that are better than ours (even leaving aside scheme).

The Raptors being 4th, isn't a sign of bad coaching unless we should be dominating offensively like at #1 by a margin. Its hard to view #4 as a disappointment especially when factoring that DeMar missed close to half the season.

Obviously lack of adjustments makes a good defensive team ridiculously hard to play against. Just looks ugly as hell and it's ineffective.
                Is it true, that our offense is worse than other high powered offenses against top 10 defenses.

We scored 105 against the Warriors (the #1 defense), we've had two bad offensive games and one elite offensive game against the Bucks (#2), we scored 97 against the Trail Blazers (#4), we had 109 and 126 and 89 against the Hawks (#6) just for a quick count. None of that is pace adjusted but I suspect if I found offensive rating for each of these games (it would require a bit more work than I'm willing to do now) that we've done pretty fine especially compared to other teams.

Sucks how we did well with JV sitting out most of the game. The defensive schemes don't work well for him
                What defensive scheme would he be better at?

He's still a work in progress at that end of the court and he's going to have his bad nights.

this is it, long 2's and 3's early in the shot clock = long rebounds at a high pace = lots of points for us, far more for them and no room for JV in the line-up, also our defensive system is stupid, too trigger happy on help and expecting guys to run around like mad men while the opponent slowly passes the ball around.
                Except our pace is 20th in the league. We aren't playing that fast at all

Comment

• Jrice9 wrote: View Post
                  Then why is all the discussion about iso ball instead about a defense built on massive rotations.

Do you think the defense is his fault? If so what should we do instead?

Bitching about the offense seems to be a bit dumb when the problem is almost exclusively defensive.

Seriously not trolling

Aesthetic differences are not a reason to complain about coaching. Its a results based business and considering the team's skillset (namely having Demar and Lou and even JV and Lowry and Vasquez to some extent), you would expect more isolations.

Below is the most relevant criticsm and I'll examine it point by point.

This might be true though I'd like to see some clear evidence of this. Can you show that Iso heavy teams or even teams with more contested shots generally have worse defensive performance than expected.

Is this true? Like if we just guessed rosters, you would think the Raptors have the best offensive players in the league.

Like the Warriors, Cavaliers, Clippers, Trail Blazers, Mavericks would come to mind as teams with elite offensive players that are better than ours (even leaving aside scheme).

The Raptors being 4th, isn't a sign of bad coaching unless we should be dominating offensively like at #1 by a margin. Its hard to view #4 as a disappointment especially when factoring that DeMar missed close to half the season.

Is it true, that our offense is worse than other high powered offenses against top 10 defenses.

We scored 105 against the Warriors (the #1 defense), we've had two bad offensive games and one elite offensive game against the Bucks (#2), we scored 97 against the Trail Blazers (#4), we had 109 and 126 and 89 against the Hawks (#6) just for a quick count. None of that is pace adjusted but I suspect if I found offensive rating for each of these games (it would require a bit more work than I'm willing to do now) that we've done pretty fine especially compared to other teams.

What defensive scheme would he be better at?

He's still a work in progress at that end of the court and he's going to have his bad nights.

Except our pace is 20th in the league. We aren't playing that fast at all
                  looked into pacem and yeah we're 20th over the season, but 10th in jan (our worst month) 27th in feb so yeah, my eye test was wrong, pace doesn't seem to be a problem, i do think long 2's and rebounds are a part of it still, also dribbling 14 seconds of shot clock away when we're up may have skewed pace a bit.

Comment

• cinqueda wrote: View Post
                    looked into pacem and yeah we're 20th over the season, but 10th in jan (our worst month) 27th in feb so yeah, my eye test was wrong, pace doesn't seem to be a problem, i do think long 2's and rebounds are a part of it still, also dribbling 14 seconds of shot clock away when we're up may have skewed pace a bit.
                    Aesthetic is more meaningful in games like basketball, hockey or soccer then stats. Flow is very important and can't be summarized using stats. Football and Baseball can be stat driven but people need to see good defense and offense. A highly rated offense can be the result of luck or just odd factors. 2007 Raptors and 2012 Knicks were just aberrations.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                      Yeah, we used horns way more last year. We also passed 20 more times per game compared to this year, and compared to the other top 10 offences, we pass the least. We're 23rd and the next best (worst-best?) offense is 18th.

Amongst the top 10 offences, we also have the least APG. We're 17th, and the next best offense is 12th.

Either we're getting lucky, or we've found a new effective and efficient way to score points. I'm betting on the former.
                      Posted this in the another thread, but it fits here too.

EDIT: We were 9th last year in APG amongst top 10 offenses. And 5th in passes per game.

Most people here would probably agree we looked better offensively last year even though we score more this year, right?
                      Last edited by Mindlessness; Sat Feb 7, 2015, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                        Excuse me if I don't totally see what the difference is there.

So, my knowledge of coaching an actual NBA team is extremely limited, as I would imagine yours is too. I can't get inside Casey's head and tell you why he's doing the things he is, but I can say, again, that the on court results are very promising.

My bet would be that every group of fans has complaints about these types of things from their coaches, and in my mind, a lot of that has to do with the fact that we know so little about what's going on.

I've repeatedly read from very good basketball writers (Lowe, Woj, etc.) that the most important traits in a coach are personnel management - communication, culture, etc. The way I see it is that we (fans) aren't wrong about our complaints, but that we are unaware of the many other factors in play, which may outweigh the benefit of doing things 'our' way.

That's why, in my mind, the best way to evaluate a coach is expectations vs. performance.

tl;dr

The criticisms on here our valid, but if we're seeing it, I can hella guarantee the coaching staff is and that there are probably other factors influencing decisions.

Edit: Ok I gotta clarify because I'm sure I'm gonna get jumped on for this -

No, the coach isn't always right, that's not what I'm saying.
                        If there are any posts opposing this, which IMO is the post of the year thus far on this forum, I am putting each person who does so, bloc mode. This is what it is. This, is what should be obvious, yet, never is. And the poster did a fantastic job of not posting it in a way that gets him Banned. Kudo's, hell, I know I simply can't anymore.

Nice work stooley!!!

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                          as long as he's not totally losing the dressing room. (I wonder if his treatment of JJ was unpopular with some players)
                          This is basically it with me for all coaches.

stats have shown, and I wish I could find the article, that only 3-4 coaches in the NBA have EVER had a significant impact on a franchise when they were hired. Those, happen to be 3 of the top guys in the NBA now, and some other dude. Its been something talked about for a long time in the NBA, where, coaches actually have very little to do with games once the ball is up in the air. The ones that ar most effective are the ones that do two things;

1. work well with management, within managements game plan as it pertains to personnel and budget.
                          2. manage egos, and keep the room.

I might Like Casey, and I might think every single person on this site second guessing him might be a little mistaken about what they think they know, but the moment he loses the room, or clashes with his boss.... he's likely gone because otherwise, why have him. Its easy to forget these are men, coaching MEN. Vets with egos and their own minds. Rookies and stiffs with small iq's but fat wallets. babysitting is a very, VERY tough thing to do, and guys that can do it are in short supply.

Comment

• Ok, so the article, which was in the international journal of sports finance I cannot find, not in a way I can post, but this dude here uses its findings, along with a bit of other good stuff to pretty much lay out coaching in the NBA. I agree with everything for the most part and feel like it would be a fantastic piece for everyone here to read.

I hope you guys take the time to look at it, then really try to think about it..... you might find you aren't quite as interested in bitching about the coach anymore....

http://wagesofwins.com/2011/07/20/the-coach-is-wrong/

Comment

• There are three or four who are impact teams right now. Whether they have the ability to continue for years is debatable but saying a coach has no impact doesn't explain why some coaches are consistent winners with changing rosters. Unless a coach is telling players to play poor defense and take poor shots and stop passing he isn't managing egos or the locker room.

Comment

• So coaches do matter, but not in the ways that the media tries to sell us. It’s not about what book Phil gave Ron or the relationship Larry has with Allen. It’s not about the respect everyone has for Pop. It’s about who they put on the court.

This is from the article

Comment

Working...
                                X