Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    The only pieces of legit primary info I remember hearing were that
    1. They were trying to get TRoss going, which is why JJ got his first DNP. JJ was said to have been a total pro and cheered his teammates on that night.
    2. This went on for a few games with another DNP.
    3. Then they formally announced he was out with a strained right hamstring as part of the injury reports, which lasted four games.

I haven't heard anything about him bring in the doghouse, though given his past, it is understandable speculation.

Either way it's not damning or in Casey's favour, because we don't have enough legit info to go on.

What is damning is continuing to play Vasquez at the two when it was obvious our perimeter D was getting shredded.
    Totally agree re Vasquez. We all saw it and were calling for JJ or even LF for defensive purposes. Lou Williams has also been getting torched defensive recently and is cause for concern especially since 3 of last 4 games have been very poor offensively as well. I think it is clear if we are going to beat the big dogs it will be on the defensive end ultimately. Just look at the Clippers. They have a lot of offensive weapons but their defense is horrendous.

Comment

• CNinja26 wrote: View Post
      Going into the season, Casey was probably tasked with the following:

(1) Maintain or improve upon last season's record - CHECK, most likely
      (2) Repeat as Atlantic Division Champions, establish home court for the 1R of playoffs - CHECK
      (3) Win a round in the playoffs - TBD, but it's likely
      (4) Maximize the showing of 'star' players - CHECK for Lowry (All-star starter), INCOMPLETE for DeMar because of injury
      (5) Integrate newly-acquired players into team scheme - CHECK, for the most part (Lou's career is revamped, as is JJ's)
      (6) Grow young players so they are more serviceable, maximize current potential, set them up for future success - NO for Ross, to some degree YES for JV
      (7) Monitor minutes, routines, etc to ensure players are all as healthy as possible - CHECK (very few injuries)
      (8) Maintain a positive locker room, and ensure players and coaching staff professionally represent the Raptors brand - CHECK
      (9) Develop and execute effective offensive schemes - CHECK, Top 5 league offense, but room for improvement
      (10) Develop and execute effective defensive schemes - room for improvement

As much as Casey's x's and o's bother the hell out of us (and I'm personally not a fan of his basketball decisions), it difficult for Masai to look at something like the aforementioned and say "Hey, not good enough, you gotta go right now." If Masai does fire Casey now, he risks disrupting a system that's 35-17 and second in the East. I'm not saying the system is perfect or will contend for a championship, but this system can win you 50 games, probably a playoff round or two, sell out the ACC, sell a ton of merchandise, and make MLSE and other stakeholders very, very happy and very, very rich.

Furthermore, some of the shortcomings can be fixed through minor tweaking, not necessarily firing the coach. If an athlete isn't developing under Casey's system, maybe it's just the athlete (Ross) - get rid of him or bury on bench. If it's not the athlete, adjust the development strategy or bring in a specific assistant coach (JV). If defense is a liability, focus on it more at practice, add another defensive piece, and/or bring on another defensive-minded assistant coach to help out. All of these options are much more feasible and low-risk than all out just getting rid of a coach.

You might consider adding in - Hire clever and credible assistants to your staff. Seems to have done that too.

Based on the above results you might think this was worthy of a contract extension.

Yet the flat earth society luddites rage on...
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

• One other thing I alluded to, but never followed up on.

Casey doesn't work in a vacuum. I'm sure he talks to Masai pretty well on a daily basis, and it ain't about wife and kids.,

"Getting Ross going" may have been his idea, or even Masai's idea, but assuming it was Casey's I'm positive Masai knew in advance.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
          You might consider adding in - Hire clever and credible assistants to your staff. Seems to have done that too.

Based on the above results you might think this was worthy of a contract extension.

Yet the flat earth society luddites rage on...
          MU replaced all his assistants when he came in. If the Raptors didn't turn around Casey wasn't going to be extended. As it is he has a contract the same length as GV

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
            MU replaced all his assistants when he came in.
            Thats an outright fabrication.

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            If the Raptors didn't turn around Casey wasn't going to be extended.
            And you know this because you were told this by Masai Ujiri himself. Or its another piece of shit flung up against the wall to see if it sticks. Most likely the latter.

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            As it is he has a contract the same length as GV
            That is mostly factual.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

And you know this because you were told this by Masai Ujiri himself. Or its another piece of shit flung up against the wall to see if it sticks. Most likely the latter.

That is mostly factual.
              GM changing assistants is the first step to a coaching change. Usually one of the assistants will be the new coach. It is the sign a coach is on the hot seat. Assistant coaches are on yearly contracts they aren't replaced by GM mid season.

Comment

GM changing assistants is the first step to a coaching change. Usually one of the assistants will be the new coach. It is the sign a coach is on the hot seat. Assistant coaches are on yearly contracts they aren't replaced by GM mid season.
                Meant midway through a coaches tenure

Comment

Uh, no. http://blogs.canoe.ca/courtside/bask...sistant-coach/

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                  I would think it is a reasonable assumption that Casey wouldn't be extended had the Raptors not turned around. But yes, that's opinion.

Comment

MU replaced all his assistants when he came in.
                    Sterner and McKechnie were retained - other assistants were replaced
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      Sterner and McKechnie were retained - other assistants were replaced
                      Though the "assistant coach" title for McKechnie is kind of odd. Safe to say he has no real coaching role.

Who wouldn't want Sterner on their staff? Dude's a basketball lifer with a fiercely positive attitude.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        Though the "assistant coach" title for McKechnie is kind of odd. Safe to say he has no real coaching role.

Who wouldn't want Sterner on their staff? Dude's a basketball lifer with a fiercely positive attitude.
                        Maybe easier to pick up hot babes if your "a coach with the Raptors" than "Director of Sports Science".

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Liked for your retorts, especially Super "NBA expert/coaches are NEVER wrong" Judge
                          Anytime you'd like to square off on anything related to this subject let me know.

As for NBA coaches being wrong.... of course they make bad decisions here and there.... its just that messageboard warriors with about 1/1000th the know how or knowledge they have, shouldn't be the ones who think they are qualified to ell um.

So you tell me, do you think, ever, that you are qualified? I don't mean that one blue moon where a guy gets a call riht that a coach gambled the other way with. I mean, man to man, are you qualified to judge ANY NBA coach? Could you debate you own opinion, right at a table with Dwayne Casey, and win that debate?

lemme know

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                            I mean, man to man, are you qualified to judge ANY NBA coach?
                            77 pages of thread... now useless...

Only the Superjudge, shalt judge.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              Wait, so let me get this straight. After floundering for like a month while many of us clamour for more JJ and for him to start, Casey finally catches up to us and first a) plays JJ significant minutes then b) starts him, resulting in two quality wins, and this is evidence AGAINST the #fireCasey crowd?
                              Are you being funny?

It absolutely make me laugh out loud that you scientists seem so egocentric that you actually believe that JJ sat on a bench, because the coach of the Raptors didn't think he was good enough to be out there.

If ever there was a time, that people needed to wake up, come up for air, or whatever it might be..... this is it. Has it ever occurred to people that Johnson pulled some of the very same shit that got him jettisoned a few years back...ALLL THE WAY to the euro purgatory, and needed a SERIOUS benching...... something a GOOD COACH would do?

Same dudes slagging coach Casey for benching guy that full on dissed his own PG and supported the PG of the team who was tied with the raps at the time and subsequently went on a run.....like clockwork are all out when he plays the guy and the guy is full on motivated again to play well and bust ass. But hey, it can't be because a coach put him in his place and took away his minutes for something he did behind closed doors....ohhhh fucking no. He was just reading a messageboard and it hit him like a brick.....

I am blown away that this response was to a Dan post..... I'm floored actually. wtf Dan.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                                77 pages of thread... now useless...

Only the Superjudge, shalt judge.
                                got that straight

Comment

Working...
                                X