Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
    I think I'm in camp 4.

To me camp 4 is you keep Casey until you're ready to do something major. There's no point in canning a coach mid-season with his track record, until you think you've built a roster that is a contender (we haven't).

If don't expect Casey to get fired until their is a major roster shake-up and the bar for success is even higher.
    I'd count myself in Camp 4. I acknowledge the in-game mistakes he makes, but I think canning him mid-season, would do more damage than good.

But I don't ever see him being a top 5 coach (which excludes me from Camp 3).

Comment

• I'm not sure if anyone here wants him fired during the season as it's not rational, due to the fact that playoffs are so close. Most of the anti Casey camp wants him gone during the offseason, due to stated reasons in this thread. I would be more than happy to eat crow, if Casey somehow changes the way he makes decisions during the game, respond way more quickly with tweaks of his system, manages his players, etc... Playoffs can prove that, however, I do not see that happening.
      Last edited by RandomGuy; Wed Feb 11, 2015, 11:18 AM.
      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Most people who still want Casey keep saying if he doesn't do this or that he won't be fired. In other words if Casey isn't Casey he should stay.

Comment

• You campers need to worry a shit tonne more about who Messiah can pick up to make this roster better, and less about the guy handing out PT or benchings. The former will win you rings, the latter is just there to keep them in line.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
            I'm not sure if anyone here wants him fired during the season as it's not rational, due to the fact that playoffs are so close. Most of the anti Casey camp wants him gone during the offseason, due to stated reasons in this thread. I would be more than happy to eat crow, if Casey somehow changes the way he makes decisions during the game, respond way more quickly with tweaks of his system, manages his players, etc... Playoffs can prove that, however, I do not see that happening.
            There is definitely a group, though getter smaller, that would be moire than happy if Casey were replaced ASAP.

If Casey is as incompetent as they believe him to be, it's actually the only rational move.

Frankly, I don't believe MU agrees with their assessment of the coach.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Back to coaching.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed in the prospect of JJ starting over Ross, only because I want Ross' trade value to be as high as possible so we can move him. He's not a bad player, but minutes seem to really effect his confidence. It's my only explanation why they would start GV over him — to improve ball movement while motivating him to earn his starting job back.

Putting JJ in over him is basically an affirmation that yes, this guy is a better/more effective SF than you. It will be interesting how, and if, Ross can respond over the next few games.
              Sorry, but fuck trade value and "showcasing". What happened to earning your minutes? Ross floats around out there, allows blow bys and hardly ever takes his drives right to the rim (if ever) sit his ass down. I want to win.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                Sorry, but fuck trade value and "showcasing". What happened to earning your minutes? Ross floats around out there, allows blow bys and hardly ever takes his drives right to the rim (if ever) sit his ass down. I want to win.
                Has that ever happened for this franchise?
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  Axel wrote: View Post
                  Has that ever happened for this franchise?
                  I'm ok with players being gifted minutes for the sake of development. But I'm not sure I buy this whole idea of "showcasing" myself. Is there any GM in the league who would be swayed by 2 weeks of performance, while ignoring said player's prior career numbers?

If Hansbrough pulls off 7 straight double-doubles, will James Dolan be fooled into thinking he's found his PF of the future?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I'm ok with players being gifted minutes for the sake of development. But I'm not sure I buy this whole idea of "showcasing" myself. Is there any GM in the league who would be swayed by 2 weeks of performance, while ignoring said player's prior career numbers?

If Hansbrough pulls off 7 straight double-doubles, will James Dolan be fooled into thinking he's found his PF of the future?
                    Sadly, probably. Otherwise, I agree, showcasing is useless for known commodities. Perhaps if there is someone on the end of the bench who rarely plays (say Bebe for example), then additional minutes might change trade value, but I'm pretty sure that theory is over by the end of a player's sophomore season.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post

The only possible benefit I can think of is that if the player is in your starting lineup, if other teams want them they are fooled into thinking you'd be trading an essential part of your team and may assume there's a higher asking price when they make an offer?

That doesn't seem all that likely to come into play very often.

If the Raptors want Ross to have higher trade value, they need him to play better. (And if he plays better the Raps will be less inclined to trade him...so basically I don't see Ross being traded anytime soon).
                      That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

I think I'm in camp 4.

To me camp 4 is you keep Casey until you're ready to do something major. There's no point in canning a coach mid-season with his track record, until you think you've built a roster that is a contender (we haven't).

If don't expect Casey to get fired until their is a major roster shake-up and the bar for success is even higher.
                        LOL. Even the mention of 'canning Casey mid-season' would probably elicit howls of un-controlled laughter in the boardrooms of MLSE. Is there anybody even realistically thinking this is a possibility?

And it's not like a Mark Jackson/GSW situation either where you fire a winning coach to take the next step. Jackson was let go because of internal political reasons more than anything basketball related. He just rubbed a lot of key business decision makers the wrong way. Same thing happened to Rick Carlisle, ironically, with Joe Dumars and that worked for the Pistons. It backfired in Denver with George Karl not getting renewed. Also backfired with the Lakers not renewing PJax. Utah has never recovered from losing Sloan, nor has D-Will or Boozer's game. By all accounts, Casey is well liked and respected by everybody in the organization, and most importantly MU & the players. His decisions and inflexibility at times are still frustrating to watch, though.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          LOL. Even the mention of 'canning Casey mid-season' would probably elicit howls of un-controlled laughter in the boardrooms of MLSE. Is there anybody even realistically thinking this is a possibility?

And it's not like a Mark Jackson/GSW situation either where you fire a winning coach to take the next step. Jackson was let go because of internal political reasons more than anything basketball related. He just rubbed a lot of key business decision makers the wrong way. Same thing happened to Rick Carlisle, ironically, with Joe Dumars and that worked for the Pistons. It backfired in Denver with George Karl not getting renewed. Also backfired with the Lakers not renewing PJax. Utah has never recovered from losing Sloan, nor has D-Will or Boozer's game. By all accounts, Casey is well liked and respected by everybody in the organization, and most importantly MU & the players. His decisions and inflexibility at times are still frustrating to watch, though.
                          MLSE executives probably aren't even sports fans. MU runs the Raptors and Casey coaches. If they fail MU blames Casey and if they struggle for a long time the MLSE executives blame MU. GMs don't fire coach because too many changes means their job is next.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                            MLSE executives probably aren't even sports fans. MU runs the Raptors and Casey coaches. If they fail MU blames Casey and if they struggle for a long time the MLSE executives blame MU. GMs don't fire coach because too many changes means their job is next.
                            Also GSW aren't run by boardrooms but majority owners who tend to act quickly.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I've only seen 2 or 3 people argue for canning Casey immediately. The vast majority have talked about looking at a coaching upgrade in the summer, which is not that big of a deal - Casey only has 1 more year on his contract. A key cog in the discussion has been "Who do you replace him with?", which has come up several times. There's a very short lists of guys who will be a clear upgrade, but it turns into pure speculation pretty quick when you try to guess at who's actually available or would consider Toronto.

I think Casey's a pretty good coach and has done an overall solid job. More than anything else though I hate the defense this year, and the impact of a bottom third defense is greater than a lot of the positives imho. We'll see how the rest of the season goes and how the playoffs go, but unless DC takes a huge step forward as a coach I'd like to see an upgrade eventually.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• If Hansbrough pulls off 7 straight double-doubles, will James Dolan be fooled into thinking he's found his PF of the future?
                                And the answer is.....shit my crystal ball just fogged up.

Comment

Working...
                                X