#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yes, I agree. I'm just trying to shake it up in here and ask for more than the standard "I hate the play calling, subsititutions, etc, fire the guy". Why does the conversation end there? That's the beginning, not the end.
    You are right - it has become a group consensus of late. The beginning of this thread was very much a debate. I had a post somewhere in here giving a list of possible candidates but I can't seem to find it now (the thread had exponential growth as the loses mounted!). I had college coaches, assistant coaches, and retreads.

My hope is someone like Ollie or Hoiberg if not an established top tier coach like Thibs.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      You are right - it has become a group consensus of late. The beginning of this thread was very much a debate. I had a post somewhere in here giving a list of possible candidates but I can't seem to find it now (the thread had exponential growth as the loses mounted!). I had college coaches, assistant coaches, and retreads.

My hope is someone like Ollie or Hoiberg if not an established top tier coach like Thibs.
      I think Ollie is less likely to make the jump than Hoiberg (I mean to the NBA in general). Ollie has a team that can compete for National Championships, while Hoiberg is coaching an over-achiever year after year. Ollie has everything he could really ask for.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        So in addition to the college above, here are the "next wave of head coaching prospects" .....

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...hing-prospects

Above list also had Tony Bennett and Kevin Ollie.
        mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Then you have your retreads:

Rick Adelman - He is done.
        Larry Brown - too old to grow with this team and unstable: which Brown do you get?
        Carlisemo - nope
        Butch Carter - hmmmmmm, if John Gibbons can come back.......
        Mo Cheeks - NEXT!
        Doug Collins - negative
        Michael Curry - I really don't know
        D'Antoni - no
        Del NEgro - ahhhh no
        Larry Drew - Nah
        Mike Dunleavy - Trying to be an owner - and no
        Tim Floyd - any thing related to circa early 2000 Bulls gets a no
        Lawrence Frank - lol
        Cotton Fitzsimmons - wouldn't that be sweet
        Mike Fratello - the czar!
        Alvin Gentry - better than most options here
        Marc Iavoroni - he blew his chance
        Mark Jackson - E-G-O, N-O!
        Avery Johnson - with Lowry? lol - no
        Eddie Jordan - Princeton!?!?!?! ummm no
        George Karl - Lenny Part Deux
        Mike Malone - better than most here
        Nate McMillan - if only his last name was Dogg
        Eric Musselman - DUI guy
        Jim O'Brien - i giggled typing
        Kevin O'Neill - I burst out loud laughing typing
        Terry Porter - no
        Pat Riley - I hear he is looking for a more comfy gig
        Scott Skiles - will get the most out of the team for one season - max
        Isiah Thomas - The Return
        JVG - sideline commentating is a good gig, ask the czar!
        Darrell Walker - the painful memories
        Mike Woodson - Stinks of Knicks

Page 34

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• 1. Are the Raptors still in rebuild mode?
          Rebuild ? you might have to define that because to me, it was aborted when the lowry trade didn't go through and masai has been rounding out this roster not rebuilding it, so it a definite NO

2. Were the Raptors expected to have the successes they had this year and the last?
          Last year no, This year was suppose to be a step forward, not a step back. You can yell division champs all you want but the Atlantic division is a disgrace, raptors will probably be the only playoff team in it and are 2 games away from loosing homecourt advantage. This is below expectations.

3. Are the Raptors ready to contend for a Title today?
          Nope, don't think anyone, anywhere thought that.

4. If Casey were fired who would you replace him with?
          Don't know. Nobody knows when they fire a guy, that's what the interview process is for. You don't fire a coach because you want THAT other guy. You fire him because what you have is not working. Plus Coaches frown upon those who seek jobs that are not vacant, remember how much crap jason kidd got for replacing a shitty coach, with a shitty record. You can't even assess you're available candidates untill you fire him.

5. Is that new coach the guy who can lead them to a Title?
          Why are we talking about titles ? 1st round is gonna be hard enough.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            Page 34
            I would actually love to see Butch Carter coach somewhere again. It's too bad he he self destructed because he had a lot of the right stuff.

JVG is The Guy, he just doesn't know it and will disagree with you adamantly.

Dino4life wrote: View Post
            1. Are the Raptors still in rebuild mode?
            Rebuild ? you might have to define that because to me, it was aborted when the lowry trade didn't go through and masai has been rounding out this roster not rebuilding it, so it a definite NO

2. Were the Raptors expected to have the successes they had this year and the last?
            Last year no, This year was suppose to be a step forward, not a step back. You can yell division champs all you want but the Atlantic division is a disgrace, raptors will probably be the only playoff team in it and are 2 games away from loosing homecourt advantage. This is below expectations.

Nope, don't think anyone, anywhere thought that.

Don't know. Nobody knows when they fire a guy, that's what the interview process is for. You don't fire a coach because you want THAT other guy. You fire him because what you have is not working. Plus Coaches frown upon those who seek jobs that are not vacant, remember how much crap jason kidd got for replacing a shitty coach, with a shitty record. You can't even assess you're available candidates untill you fire him.

Why are we talking about titles ? 1st round is gonna be hard enough.
            1. The rebuild started the day he signed the dotted line. He just decided he liked a bunch of what Colangelo did and kept it. Sort of like when you buy a new house and only change the paint and counter tops... And maybe that toilet in the basement that keeps giving you troubles *cough* Bargnani *cough*.

2. Think about it from the point when Ujiri signed his contract. Did you expect right then and there that in a couple years that you'd be complaining that your playoff team wasn't meeting your expectations?

3. Good, #3 was a test to see if you were still in control of your mental faculties.

4. No, they know. They have a short list well before they pull the trigger. They known how much they want to spend or think they can get away with spending. No way to prove it but I think Ujiri had a list the day he signed and it was the same list he kept in Denver. Since then it's evolved. You don't succeed without thinking a few steps ahead.

5. Because a winning culture has NBA finals on the radar and the Raptors Organization either now knows how to talk a big game(frauds) or they actually hired the right people for the first time ever.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              Page 34
              Avery Johnson and Nate McMillan intrigue me.

Comment

If I had a nickle for every time a #Firethatasshole type thread popped up I'd have enough for a damn fine espresso in my hand right now.

Answer these five questions:

1. Are the Raptors still in rebuild mode?

If you answered no, yes, yes, some schmuck who's never done anything and yes then I'm done here because this discussion is going no where and you're going to live a pretty miserable existence while watching Raptors ball...
                Axel wrote: View Post
                Page 34
                All of these questions/topics have actually been discussed quite a bit in this thread, the "Collapse Continues" thread, and probably a couple others as well. I can see the frustration with the "simplicity" of opinions at this point, but maybe it's partly because you put that post up on page 98? There's a lot of discussion that preceded yours, and guys with a bit more patience than me have thoughtfully re-posted opinions I've already read from them elsewhere. With all due respect a guy jumping in on page 98 should scan the threads a little more carefully before jumping to a conclusion like that one and asking everybody else to spend the next 3 pages rewriting their opinions, but that's just me.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I wasn't trying to lure in (for example) Matt or Axel with my questions.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Avery Johnson and Nate McMillan intrigue me.
                    They'd both be in my top 10, but without a full review of who's out there, don't want to commit to much. Both have issues that concern me though.

Comment

I wasn't trying to lure in (for example) Matt or Axel with my questions.
                      I actually appreciate the desire to have a more detailed conversation.

At this point, we are all really on board with change, the question is who, when, etc. There are some good options out there, but until Masai calls them, it's impossible to say what is realistic. I think coaches are much less finicky about coming to Toronto than players. So while we may struggle to sign star free agents, I don't think the problem is exactly the same for coaches.

Comment

• FYI:
                        Fred Hoiberg signed a 10-year, $20 million contract with Iowa State back in 2013, but has a $500,000 buy-out if he leaves to the NBA to coach or be a GM. $2 million buyout to go to another college.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                          Man, I've been staunchly pro Casey, but in light of recent play, I have to admit that firing Casey must become a legitimate option immediately. I've gone from watching every game -- start to finish -- to turning off games because what I'm seeing no longer resembles basketball. I'm fine with losses, but I can't accept what I'm watching as basketball.

I don't completely blame Casey, however, this team is reaching on defense instead of forcing angles, not blocking out properly, and allowing anyone who wishes, to penetrate the paint. What does Casey do, when these are small issues and they're down say 5 points? He lets them play on, hoping that players will automatically correct mistakes.

That philosophy is fine when you're winning, but when your team has won 2 out of 9 games and you're still using that philosophy and teams like the Spurs and Hawks are doing the complete opposite and winning, maybe you should revisit your philosophy on timeouts?

Insanity is said to be doing the same thing and expecting different results. Casey is allowing small issues to become insurmountable deficits game after game and not adjusting his coaching philosophy. Either he adjusts his coaching philosophy to correct the current poor play, or Casey needs to go elsewhere.

Man, I never thought I'd ever type that.
                          Welcome to the sane side. It is rime to end the insanity of DC being our head coach.

The players have tuned him out. The rock is in little pieces.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                            Welcome to the sane side. It is rime to end the insanity of DC being our head coach.

The players have tuned him out. The rock is in little pieces.
                            Pretty sure the rock is fully in tact and just sitting in the corner collecting dust while holding down an unread play file folder.

Comment

• Thanks for finding, Axel.

I'm not going to pretend I know what NBA assistant coach would make a good head coach. However when you look at this:

David Vanterpool, Portland Trail Blazers assistant coach

It’s rare in the NBA for someone on the fast track toward management to get off and join a much longer line to become an NBA coach. Yet that’s what Vanterpool did when he left the Thunder front office to join Terry Stotts’ staff in Portland.

Vanterpool was a quick study and likely a future executive in the league, but it tormented him to know there was high-grade basketball development going on in his midst, only it wasn't happening in his department.

“He has a way with players,” a front-office executive says. “He was a tough overseas player who worked at his game.”

Vanterpool both played and coached for Messina in Moscow, an affiliation that means something in an increasingly international league. The two-year stint in the Oklahoma City front office is also the kind of interdisciplinary experience valued by shops like San Antonio. Add to all that a penchant for independent thought, a willingness to admit what you don’t know and a reputation as a solid, agreeable person and a young team could have a head coach to grow up with.
                              This screams, at least to me, as a type of guy Masai would admire.

Comment

Pretty sure the rock is fully in tact and just sitting in the corner collecting dust while holding down an unread play file folder.

Actually the rock sits just inside the entrance door to Raptors locker room on the right hand side -no playbook underneath. In fact the rock is pretty small --I don't think any of our guys have been up to central Ontario to see the massive rocks our province has save JV's drunken drive through run at Wasaga Beach Feb 2014.

Comment

Working...
                                X