Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    FYI:
    Fred Hoiberg signed a 10-year, $20 million contract with Iowa State back in 2013, but has a $500,000 buy-out if he leaves to the NBA to coach or be a GM. $2 million buyout to go to another college.
    So $2M/yr. If the Raptors doubled that and paid the buyout then maybe he bites.

Stevens got five years @ $3,666,667 annually to coach the Celtics. Maybe that's the deal here.

Comment

• Does anyone on this forum have MU's ear? I know there is at least staffer that follows this site ...please if you have any contact with MU ask him to view posts in this forum. Some of the most loyal fans are on this site and MU really needs to hear from this constituency.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
        Does anyone on this forum have MU's ear? I know there is at least staffer that follows this site ...please if you have any contact with MU ask him to view posts in this forum. Some of the most loyal fans are on this site and MU really needs to hear from this constituency.
        We are up to 100 pages of posts this topic clearly has legs.....

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
          We are up to 100 pages of posts this topic clearly has legs.....
          Doesn't mean it will amount to more than squat though. The Miami Heat fans had #FireSpo, which was like #FireCasey times 1000. They even had a website and on-line petition. But Riley loves Spo, so Spo ain't going nowhere.

Comment

• Which comes back to my point about there being much more going on than the game you're watching run down the toilet on TV.

Hypothetically, what if Raptors brass likes whats going on away from the cameras? In team meetings, in the weight room, on the practice court, etc.

Comment

• LOL, if it were only so easy as to bring in a brilliant basketball mind and think the teams problems would be solved. Unfortunately coaching at any level doesn't work that day, and certainly not at the professional levels.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                Doesn't mean it will amount to more than squat though. The Miami Heat fans had #FireSpo, which was like #FireCasey times 1000. They even had a website and on-line petition. But Riley loves Spo, so Spo ain't going nowhere.
                Yea I'm not sure how well that correlates with Casey though... Spo was a favorite of one of the best basketball minds in Pat Riley. I think when Pat gives you the thumbs up it kind of makes a statement. Masai is good but he hasn't gotten that level of good yet, if ever.

Comment

• Or could just mean that fans anywhere are fickle. One minute the talk is about developing young talent, the next it's why James Johnson isn't getting Terrence Ross' minutes, etc., etc...

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Which comes back to my point about there being much more going on than the game you're watching run down the toilet on TV.

Hypothetically, what if Raptors brass likes whats going on away from the cameras? In team meetings, in the weight room, on the practice court, etc.
                    That's a problematic hypothetical. If so many behind the scene things were going well, what is the reason for the on court product.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                      LOL, if it were only so easy as to bring in a brilliant basketball mind and think the teams problems would be solved. Unfortunately coaching at any level doesn't work that day, and certainly not at the professional levels.
                      I think its quite the same to get a brilliant basketball player actually. If you have an average player and you want to improve then at some point you have to say bye to the player to take a chance on someone who can be better. If you dont want to improve and have enough talent around the player to win anyways then its no worries.

I mean its not easy but its certainly doable, and why not be the team that can make it happen? Whats the saying, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

I think you might be undervaluing the ability of a truly great coach as well, case in point take a look at Atlanta. They're good but before this year almost everyone had them pegged as the perfect treadmill team. Sure it takes time for a great coach to improve his team, but any rebuild worth doing will take time anyways.

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
                        Yea I'm not sure how well that correlates with Casey though... Spo was a favorite of one of the best basketball minds in Pat Riley. I think when Pat gives you the thumbs up it kind of makes a statement. Masai is good but he hasn't gotten that level of good yet, if ever.
                        Spo has two rings, Casey is a sub .500 defensive coach that never has good Defense but terrible Offense

Comment

Or could just mean that fans anywhere are fickle. One minute the talk is about developing young talent, the next it's why James Johnson isn't getting Terrence Ross' minutes, etc., etc...
                          Well to be fanatical about anything would pretty much imply in my mind at least that a certain matter of fickle is to be included. If you don't want your team to get better and dont really care much about it's problems, or rather perceived problems, then I would argue that you just like watching sports and aren't really a fan.

Comment

• Casey still has two years left on his new deal too if I'm not mistaken. The politics of that will be at play but not the deciding factor in all this.
                            Jangles wrote: View Post
                            That's a problematic hypothetical. If so many behind the scene things were going well, what is the reason for the on court product.
                            Speculation, but in this hypothetical scenario: A couple players who aren't buying in is killing the team chemistry. In such a scenario you'd probably see those sorts of players leave and Casey stay...

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
                              I think its quite the same to get a brilliant basketball player actually. If you have an average player and you want to improve then at some point you have to say bye to the player to take a chance on someone who can be better. If you dont want to improve and have enough talent around the player to win anyways then its no worries.

I mean its not easy but its certainly doable, and why not be the team that can make it happen? Whats the saying, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

I think you might be undervaluing the ability of a truly great coach as well, case in point take a look at Atlanta. They're good but before this year almost everyone had them pegged as the perfect treadmill team. Sure it takes time for a great coach to improve his team, but any rebuild worth doing will take time anyways.
                              I completely agree with what you're saying but I'm of the belief that this team has a way to go before a change of head coach is necessary. The young guys need time to get experience, and the talent isn't there yet in my opionion. There are certain foundations which are just being laid, and Casey is a good coach for that I think. Once the team gets to that point where they are a serious threat then switch up the coach for someone whom can actually impact a playoff series with his play calling.

My comment about brining in a brilliant coach was more reflective of some of the names that are bing thrown around as a replacement for DC. If players were robots or chess peices that you could control that may work, but they don't necessarily respond that way. At the pro level its evident they value someone they respect over a nobody. You need someone who the players will follow as much as you need someone whose brilliant b'ball mind.

Comment

I completely agree with what you're saying but I'm of the belief that this team has a way to go before a change of head coach is necessary. The young guys need time to get experience, and the talent isn't there yet in my opionion. There are certain foundations which are just being laid, and Casey is a good coach for that I think. Once the team gets to that point where they are a serious threat then switch up the coach for someone whom can actually impact a playoff series with his play calling.

My comment about brining in a brilliant coach was more reflective of some of the names that are bing thrown around as a replacement for DC. If players were robots or chess peices that you could control that may work, but they don't necessarily respond that way. At the pro level its evident they value someone they respect over a nobody. You need someone who the players will follow as much as you need someone whose brilliant b'ball mind.
                                I don't understand this. If Casey isn't the right guy for the job, there's no such thing as "a way to go before a change of head coach is necessary".

If he's doing a poor job developing talent and fostering good habits, what's the benefit of keeping him around?

*Young guys aren't getting the experience they need. Vets are playing a terrible brand of basketball with no conscience and are not being held accountable. Talent in general is being pushed into roles/schemes that don't really fit them that well, either being pigeonholed or asked to do too much. Guys frequently play lazy or stupid (bad habits forming).
                                Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Mar 11, 2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X