#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I honestly think this team would be better off throwing all "defensive schemes" out the window, and just guarding straight up 1-on-1, playground style.
    Joey wrote: View Post
    He was known for some weird Zone-man defense that stifled Miami in the Finals .. and I literally don't think we've seen or heard about it since he came here ...

1-on-1, too many guys would be calling "HELP!" and leaving JV high and dry .. which I guess they already do. Lol
    His claim to fame was the "flex zone" (I think that's what it's called), it's a man-zone hybrid. They would occasionally go into it at the beginning of the season for 2-3 plays. It's not something that the Raps do regularly. Right now everything is blitzing the ball -- not a fan. As you guys said, it forces weak side defenders to run around like crazy.

It occasionally works, but not with 2 of the Raps 3 small guards going under screens, a serious lack of talking on D and people missing assignments every other play.

Man would probably work better as their primary defense.

Comment

• Glad we beat Indy but issues re DC unchanged.

Comment

• Free James Johnson.

Pass to Jonas Valanciunas,

Early shot clock 3's....

D didn't get exposed because Indy offense terrible

Still, good win.

#firecasey
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• He's working wiht the guys he has.

three of um are chuckers and one is broken.

the last...is a stiff.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
            He's working wiht the guys he has.

three of um are chuckers and one is broken.

the last...is a stiff.

Thing is he isn't working with what he has. How many times this season will he bench JJ for random reasons? If they can't fine the guy, find another way to discipline him (if that's the issue). No way Lowry, GV and Lou should be on the court together at anytime.

Also, why is Greg Steimsma on this team? He's played real NBA minutes in the past. If he's not going to play over the Chuckwagon (who I'm a fan of but should be used a lot less), I don't know what to say.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Free James Johnson.

Pass to Jonas Valanciunas,

Early shot clock 3's....

D didn't get exposed because Indy offense terrible

Still, good win.

#firecasey
              I think it was Doug Smith who recently mentioned that Casey is trying to trim his rotation down to 9 players.
              - The 5 starters
              - Vasquez
              - Patterson
              - Lou
              - Either Hansbro or JJ (depending on the game).

Looks like he's relying more on Hansbro for that final spot. JJ seems to be the odd man out for the rest of the season.

Comment

I don't see it. With a competent coach, this team would still 2nd round fodder at best.
                I don't know man. I mean, you can't look at ATL's roster and arrive at the conclusion that they are one of the best, if not the best, in the league. I'm sure the playoffs will expose some weaknesses, and even at this point they have to prove in the playoffs that they can beat CLE or CHI, but a great coach can make a hell of alot of difference. And I think many would be more confidant of this team heading into the playoffs with Budenholzer at the helm than Casey. We still might not beat CHI or CLE in the second round in that scenario, but losing to either of those teams in the second round for a growing club is nothing to be ashamed of.

At this point, I think this team has reached it's ceiling playing the style the team plays, but I think we could be much better with a different approach. So if your Masai, you have to decide if the way the team plays is actually capable of winning a championship, and thus adjust the roster to suit the style, or should the style be adjusted to better accomodate the roster. I'm a proponent of the former for team building, but clearly, the system we play is just not good enough, and probably wouldn't be unless we had a clear cut superstar or two. Even then, I wouldn't approve given the way the league seems to be evolving with ball movement and analytics. I am convinced the style we play cannot be successful in the league these days.

I would really like to see what a different coach could get out of this roster, but I fully expect some roster moves this offseason. Hopefully they coincide with a coaching change, cause if MU believes in Casey and the style we play, then God help us all.

Comment

I think it was Doug Smith who recently mentioned that Casey is trying to trim his rotation down to 9 players.
                  - The 5 starters
                  - Vasquez
                  - Patterson
                  - Lou
                  - Either Hansbro or JJ (depending on the game).

Looks like he's relying more on Hansbro for that final spot. JJ seems to be the odd man out for the rest of the season.
                  And what happens come playoff time when defence is at a premium and you need someone to guard a highly skilled opponent? GV will get blown by then either layup or one or two passes to wide open shooter.....we need JJ. Let's say we make it to second round and play Cleveland.....there is no one save JJ who can come close to slowing down LBJ and they still have KI and KL to guard. We will lose either way but without JJ we will get murdered.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    And what happens come playoff time when defence is at a premium and you need someone to guard a highly skilled opponent? GV will get blown by then either layup or one or two passes to wide open shooter.....we need JJ. Let's say we make it to second round and play Cleveland.....there is no one save JJ who can come close to slowing down LBJ and they still have KI and KL to guard. We will lose either way but without JJ we will get murdered.
                    I'm not a big fan of Casey, but I think he has some element of common sense. JJ would definitely get minutes in a matchup vs. Lebron.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                      I don't know man. I mean, you can't look at ATL's roster and arrive at the conclusion that they are one of the best, if not the best, in the league. I'm sure the playoffs will expose some weaknesses, and even at this point they have to prove in the playoffs that they can beat CLE or CHI, but a great coach can make a hell of alot of difference. And I think many would be more confidant of this team heading into the playoffs with Budenholzer at the helm than Casey. We still might not beat CHI or CLE in the second round in that scenario, but losing to either of those teams in the second round for a growing club is nothing to be ashamed of.

At this point, I think this team has reached it's ceiling playing the style the team plays, but I think we could be much better with a different approach. So if your Masai, you have to decide if the way the team plays is actually capable of winning a championship, and thus adjust the roster to suit the style, or should the style be adjusted to better accomodate the roster. I'm a proponent of the former for team building, but clearly, the system we play is just not good enough, and probably wouldn't be unless we had a clear cut superstar or two. Even then, I wouldn't approve given the way the league seems to be evolving with ball movement and analytics. I am convinced the style we play cannot be successful in the league these days.

I would really like to see what a different coach could get out of this roster, but I fully expect some roster moves this offseason. Hopefully they coincide with a coaching change, cause if MU believes in Casey and the style we play, then God help us all.
                      I'm still not sold on Atlanta. I don't think anyone has them pegged as legit championship contenders. I wouldn't even pick them to make it out of the East.

But speaking in generalities, I would rather Masai build a team with enough talent that any idiot can coach, rather than requiring one of the best/brightest young coaches to squeeze every ounce of talent from, in order to win 4 playoff games.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                        No way Lowry, GV and Lou should be on the court together at anytime.
                        I laughed when I read this..mostly because of how right you are hahahahahaa

what a travesty this team can be to watch sometimes

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          I mean, you can't look at ATL's roster and arrive at the conclusion that they are one of the best, if not the best, in the league.
                          Oh I dont agree here.

They have a very smart and talented squad.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                            Oh I dont agree here.

They have a very smart and talented squad.
                            Winning = Very Smart & Talented.

Same with GSW. Same with Grizzlies. Same with Pacers.... until the end of last season.

I just love hindsight....

Comment

I'm still not sold on Atlanta. I don't think anyone has them pegged as legit championship contenders. I wouldn't even pick them to make it out of the East.

But speaking in generalities, I would rather Masai build a team with enough talent that any idiot can coach, rather than requiring one of the best/brightest young coaches to squeeze every ounce of talent from, in order to win 4 playoff games.
                              LOL, I'm with you there! Problem is that is the one thing that is not on Masaii's resume (or any former Raptor GM). The ability to bring in a big time talent. Keeping my fingers crossed that MU can add that to his bag of tricks.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                Winning = Very Smart & Talented.

Same with GSW. Same with Grizzlies. Same with Pacers.... until the end of last season.

I just love hindsight....
                                Im not sure what you mean about hindsight. Atlanta has been building a very solid, tight and smart team for a while now. I do NOT speak for everyone, but they were a team I really liked last year, and I was a bit envious watching how they played....and this year it only developed more.

As for Golden State. Again, not speaking for anyone but myself, but I thought Steph Curry was vastly, and I mean HUGELY underrated when he was drafted. The guys does everything right, fundamentally perfect. I wouldn't think many people are THAT surprised they are doing well. Thompson however..... I didnt see him coming.

I think SMART does = wins.... I truly do man. I like smart ball. do you need to ask who my second fav team is?

Comment

Working...
                                X