#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jangles wrote: View Post
    I kind of enjoy watching him squirm. Maybe some of the national media will actually ask some real questions instead of our terrible media employed by MLSE.
    Therein lies the problem when media are unable to do their jobs due to close ties to MLSE.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      I think Casey is just tryint to say that he was making an informed deision based on all the information that is in front of he and his staff. It's a game plan formulated by everyone together, and not just a crazy decision he came up with by himself.
      Oh, I get all this. And I fully expect that most NBA teams operate the same way. Doesn't mean you have to pass the buck when you're surrounded by a sceptical media throng. You think if Pop made a questionable move, and the media's on his ass about it, he's going to say - 'it isn't just my fault guys - it's the assistant coaches too!'? No. He's going to say 'I'm the head coach, I have the ultimate decision making power for this team, if you don't like it, eff off.'
      Last edited by JimiCliff; Tue Apr 21, 2015, 08:55 AM.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• nubreed000 wrote: View Post
        wow...ummm, in Dallas he had 2, maybe 3 hall of famers. That kinda fucking helps. Also, why change if it's working? How clueless is this guy?
        LOL. Casey's contribution to that Dallas championship is starting to reach epic legendary status. It's almost like even Casey is starting to take credit for the chip, and that Rick Carlisle was just another guy on the 'staff'.

IMO, one of the most important things that Rick Carlisle does as good or better than any other coach (including Pop) is hold players accountable for playing the right way. Not to mention that a Rick Carlisle coached team typically plays fundamentally sound basketball in the first place, so fewer major adjustments would be needed. Even so, Casey is indirectly insulting Carlisle by calling his adjustments "little subtleties".

The clincher is that Casey is, in fact, misrepresenting what actually happened in that Dallas-Miami series. Carlisle "coached his ass off", according to Cuban and the Mavs players. The money quote, below ...

"He's doing a phenomenal job. He's done that throughout these playoffs," Terry said. "He knows his team. He knows the beat of this team. And then when we need a spark, he's willing to make the adjustment and make a change. It's just very gutsy. It's very classy and, again, he's doing a phenomenal job".
        And the entire article....

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...eff&id=6658462

MIAMI -- A raised championship trophy Sunday night on the Miami Heat's floor culminated a playoff run that early on included coach Rick Carlisle assuming blame for not changing course in the 23-point collapse in Portland and closed with him deflecting credit for since having made all the right moves.

Champagne-soaked owner Mark Cuban succinctly described the performance of his third-year coach.

"Rick coached his ass off," Cuban said. "And there was no question he was the best coach in the playoffs."

Mavs players give credit to coach Rick Carlisle for pushing all the right buttons during their run to the NBA championship. Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
        In the case of the 2010-11 champion Dallas Mavericks, a rigid coach allowed himself to become more flexible, to listen to his core veterans and to allow them to take ownership. And the players repaid him by sticking with the program and standing behind him.

Together they achieved a level of greatness that not coach nor players nor franchise had experienced before (although Carlisle won a title as a backup guard for the 1986 Boston Celtics).

"He pushes us to the limit," said DeShawn Stevenson, a veteran who always rolled with Carlisle's punches, whether it meant he was the starting shooting guard, the 12th man or, as he became in the NBA Finals, a reserve small forward. "With our team and the players we have, we have veteran players where we understand it's a goal and the goal is bringing back a trophy, and we don't have guys that are looking for individual stats."

After the Game 3 loss at home to the Heat that put the Mavs behind in the series for a second time, Carlisle made a bold change to the starting lineup, a bold move rarely seen by a team in the Finals and one that some dubbed an act of desperation.

Carlisle inserted J.J. Barea into the starting five to add another playmaker, an offensive boost, and the jitterbug guard thrived. So, too, did Stevenson, the starting shooting guard whom Carlisle decided would better help the team as the backup small forward to ease Shawn Marion's burden defending LeBron James.

Dallas never lost again. After the Game 4 victory, the first of three in a row to beat the Heat, Terry lauded his coach for coming to a conclusion and then being decisive about it.

"He's doing a phenomenal job. He's done that throughout these playoffs," Terry said. "He knows his team. He knows the beat of this team. And then when we need a spark, he's willing to make the adjustment and make a change. It's just very gutsy. It's very classy and, again, he's doing a phenomenal job."
        And so out -- along with the notion that these Mavericks would be one and done -- is the notion that Carlisle would also be done in Dallas. Not the lone championship coach in the franchise's 31-year history. He has one more season on his contract and should have every expectation of an extension. Cuban rewarded Avery Johnson, the man Carlisle replaced, with a five-year extension after Johnson took the team to the 2006 Finals.

The Mavs' celebratory owner declined to talk about business matters Sunday night but acknowledged how well the team came together under Carlisle.

"I learned chemistry matters, that it's a team game," Cuban said. "That you have to have players that believe in each other and trust each other and trust your coach. And that's a process. It doesn't happen overnight."

During the Finals, the normally stoic Carlisle turned increasingly emotional in choosing his words to describe his team.

"This is a special team," Carlisle said. "This is the most special team that I've ever been around, because it's not about what you can't do; it's about what you can do. It's not about what your potential shortcomings are; it's what we could accomplish as a group together. And it was just phenomenal to be around them."

Carlisle -- though he coached with and demanded that his team play with a stern disposition -- deserves credit for giving his players, particularly Jason Kidd, more freedom to operate within in his system and the ability to voice their opinions, as they did twice in convincing Carlisle to use Stevenson as a starter.

For this team, the bond started in the offseason. The 2010 playoffs ended badly, a mental and physical first-round undressing by the San Antonio Spurs. Fractures between coach and players seemed evident.

In the summer, Carlisle opened lines of communication with Marion, sharing his vision of him coming off the bench; with Caron Butler and his idea that fewer minutes would make him more productive. He continued to work with Kidd to develop a better on-court relationship, to understand when the coach needed to rein in control and when he needed to trust Kidd to take over.

"He's challenged us in ways. Sometimes he's backed off. Sometimes he's letting J-Kidd run the show," Nowitzki said. "Sometimes he feels like things are not going the way he wants to and he's clamping down a little more. So I think that was the challenge the first two years, to find a good mix between play calls and freedom and still play enough defense to win.

"And I just think he found a good mix and he found all the right buttons to motivate us every single night to get to this spot."

The ultimate test came when Nowitzki sprained his right knee Dec. 27 and Butler ruptured his right patellar tendon on New Year's Day. Without its top two players, Dallas lost six in a row, and it felt like the walls were closing in.

The championship goal set during training camp seemed to be slipping through the Mavs' fingers, and with injuries, it seemed out of their control to recapture the chemistry.

But they trusted. They believed. They persevered. And now Carlisle has his first ring as head coach and his players have theirs.

"Going through the journey of those injuries made us a better team," Kidd said. "We had to do a lineup change [before the playoffs] and then we did the lineup change during the Finals and we didn't skip a beat.

"We just kept playing. That just shows the character of this team."
        Casey, you are no Rick Carlisle...

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
          LOL. Casey's contribution to that Dallas championship is starting to reach epic legendary status. It's almost like even Casey is starting to take credit for the chip, and that Rick Carlisle was just another guy on the 'staff'.

IMO, one of the most important things that Rick Carlisle does as good or better than any other coach (including Pop) is hold players accountable for playing the right way. Not to mention that a Rick Carlisle coached team typically plays fundamentally sound basketball in the first place, so fewer major adjustments would be needed. Even so, Casey is indirectly insulting Carlisle by calling his adjustments "little subtleties".

The clincher is that Casey is, in fact, misrepresenting what actually happened in that Dallas-Miami series. Carlisle "coached his ass off", according to Cuban and the Mavs players. The money quote, below ...

And the entire article....

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...eff&id=6658462

Casey, you are no Rick Carlisle...
          God I wish we had a Coach half as good as Carlisle.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• So Sign Pops or Carlisle, I mean honestly right?????

Why can't people see how easy it is to take the best coaches, some of all time, and just scoop um away from where they are.

hahaha

awesome.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
              So Sign Pops or Carlisle, I mean honestly right?????

Why can't people see how easy it is to take the best coaches, some of all time, and just scoop um away from where they are.

hahaha

awesome.
              You obliterated that straw man. Just blew it up. Too bad it was in the wrong field, in the wrong county, in the wrong state, in the wrong country and bears no relation to the discussion at hand whatsoever.

But good job. Good to see you amuse yourself.

Comment

hahaha

awesome.
                Yea totally man. You are totally right. We shouldn't even try to make a move to make us better since we can't have the established best.

Hell I think I may go home and quit work since I probably wont be CEO by thursday so whats the point? Should probably stop dating since I won't get with Scarlet J. I'm not sure I'll even eat anymore cause what's the point since I can't cook like Gordon Ramsay, just seems like a waste of time.

Comment

hahaha

awesome.
                  I have seen a lot of dumb arguments here, but this one takes the cake. Take a bow.
                  "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                    You obliterated that straw man. Just blew it up. Too bad it was in the wrong field, in the wrong county, in the wrong state, in the wrong country and bears no relation to the discussion at hand whatsoever.

But good job. Good to see you amuse yourself.
                    Bandit wrote: View Post
                    Yea totally man. You are totally right. We shouldn't even try to make a move to make us better since we can't have the established best.

Hell I think I may go home and quit work since I probably wont be CEO by thursday so whats the point? Should probably stop dating since I won't get with Scarlet J. I'm not sure I'll even eat anymore cause what's the point since I can't cook like Gordon Ramsay, just seems like a waste of time.
                    hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                    I have seen a lot of dumb arguments here, but this one takes the cake. Take a bow.
                    Reading his comments accurately re-creates the sensation of getting bicycle-kicked in the head by Liu Kang.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Reading his comments accurately re-creates the sensation of getting bicycle-kicked in the head by Liu Kang.
                      I am unfamiliar with that mental acrobat.

Comment

• Nothing to sneeze at...Casey got 1 3rd place vote for COY.

Budenholzer won it beating out Kerr & Kidd.

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/u...ar-Results.pdf

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Nothing to sneeze at...Casey got 1 3rd place vote for COY.

Budenholzer won it beating out Kerr & Kidd.

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/u...ar-Results.pdf
                          I would vote Kerr 10 times out of 10. Taking the step from very good too great is harder than any preceding step, including what the Hawks and Bucks have been through. The Hawks are getting too many brownie points for a nice regular season - 4 All-Stars and CoY. I'm much more impressed by Golden State's 67 wins in the West than by Atlanta's 60 in the East, even considering GSW's talent level.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                            I would vote Kerr 10 times out of 10. Taking the step from very good too great is harder than any preceding step, including what the Hawks and Bucks have been through. The Hawks are getting too many brownie points for a nice regular season - 4 All-Stars and CoY. I'm much more impressed by Golden State's 67 wins in the West than by Atlanta's 60 in the East, even considering GSW's talent level.
                            GSW were a championship contender pre-season regardless of the coach, the Hawks weren't even in most people's playoff projections for the East. What coach Bud did is more impressive to me than what Kerr did, although both did a great job. Hawks could have had close to 67 wins if they had anyone in the east pushing them, they had the 1 seed locked up a long time ago.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              Who knows?

Pop signed that extension, but that doesnt' mean he'll necessarily coach all those years. Especially since at any time he could step back and stick to just his President duties.

And for Messina's end, gotta think he's not going to take just any job. He might be inclined to wait for the 'right' job, and as long as Pop and Buford are involved in the running of the Spurs, it might be worth the wait, even if it takes a few years.
                              Budenholzer was the coach in waiting behind Pop but eventually left because Pop kept coaching. Messina might be inclined to leave for the right situation too.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                                GSW were a championship contender pre-season regardless of the coach, the Hawks weren't even in most people's playoff projections for the East. What coach Bud did is more impressive to me than what Kerr did, although both did a great job. Hawks could have had close to 67 wins if they had anyone in the east pushing them, they had the 1 seed locked up a long time ago.
                                I don't like how Coy and EoY are basically team makeover awards. Bud gets the nod for turning a 38 win team into a 60 win team in the East. Great job, no doubt - he's a really good coach. But I still think taking a 51 win GSW team and turning it into a 67 win team in the West (4th most wins all time, only 5 off the GOAT Bull's season, and done in a stacked conference nonetheless) while helping Curry grow into one of the best defensive PG's in the league and a top 2 MVP candidate...I'd still give it to Kerr, though I can understand giving it to Bud.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X