#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    We absolutely should. It has been my position on Casey that he is a good motivational coach, and as long as he is not in charge of the offensive or defensive systems, or the ATO plays, or the substitutions, he won't be doing anything he's bad at.

This might sound facetious but I do honestly believe that Casey is a good coach for getting guys to put in effort and play for him - even guys like JJ and JV who are dramatically underused seem to like Casey for some reason. So that's good.

The good news is that good assistants CAN be given the role of offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator - as seen to pretty good effect with Greer, and not great effect from Kalamian (who I believe is the offence guy this year). Nurse did a great job with his horns offence a couple years ago. And ATO's can come from anybody, no problem there. But unfortunately, the biggest issue I have with Casey (now that his insane defensive system is finally gone) is his rotation. And head coaches are the guys who make that call, seemingly without exception.

That's where I have to draw the line with Casey - and why I want him gone. He plays the wrong guys too much, the right guys too little, uses most of them wrong in terms of role, and most of them with the wrong teammates (IMO, obviously, though there are stats that tell the same story).
    If the best thing that can be said about your coach is that he doesn't interfere with his assistants, then clearly it's time.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      If the best thing that can be said about your coach is that he doesn't interfere with his assistants, then clearly it's time.
      You seem to have mis-read the post.

It clearly states that the best thing that can be said about Casey (apart from his delegating responsibilities well, in several areas) is that he's a good motivational coach.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
        You seem to have mis-read the post.

It clearly states that the best thing that can be said about Casey (apart from his delegating responsibilities well, in several areas) is that he's a good motivational coach.
        I didn't misread it, I just don't necessarily believe that part. It's not like Casey has guys sacrificing themselves for the good of the team all over the place. He gives the top dogs carte blanche; not hard to keep them happy.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          I didn't misread it, I just don't necessarily believe that part. It's not like Casey has guys sacrificing themselves for the good of the team all over the place. He gives the top dogs carte blanche; not hard to keep them happy.
          JV signed an extension below market value. Lowry re-signed (for a very reasonable price). Lowry and Carroll and Amir play through heavy injuries. JJ puts in extra work with Casey over the summer.

I don't like Casey at all and would love to move on from him, but it seems like every player loves him as a coach. That much we have to credit him with.

It's not enough. But it is a strength of his.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Casey has been historically bad on PPP ATO and just watching it doesn't seem that much better. Only explanation might be his going for 2 down 3 out of timeouts. Generally teams will give up a score that neither ties nor wins pimping up PPPATO but doesn't really do anything good. Other teams try to win while Raptors keep it close.

Comment

• Has Casey taken a technical yet this season? That always drove me mad last season, when the refs were basically shitting all over us an entire game and Casey refuses to speak up and take the tech. Probably why we still see blown call after blown call from the refs.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                Has Casey taken a technical yet this season? That always drove me mad last season, when the refs were basically shitting all over us an entire game and Casey refuses to speak up and take the tech. Probably why we still see blown call after blown call from the refs.
                Got one last game in the 1st Q after Demar didn't get a whistle against Green.

Comment

JV signed an extension below market value. Lowry re-signed (for a very reasonable price). Lowry and Carroll and Amir play through heavy injuries. JJ puts in extra work with Casey over the summer.

I don't like Casey at all and would love to move on from him, but it seems like every player loves him as a coach. That much we have to credit him with.

It's not enough. But it is a strength of his.
                  Weird, here I thought Masai signed those guys.

Pretty sure Lowry didn't sign because he "respects Casey as a man".

Comment

Has Casey taken a technical yet this season? That always drove me mad last season, when the refs were basically shitting all over us an entire game and Casey refuses to speak up and take the tech. Probably why we still see blown call after blown call from the refs.
                    We've often seen him apoplectic on the sidelines, though. He did everything but throw a Gatorade bucket over the refs, after the blown Melo call. Didn't get a technical, though.

Maybe the refs respect him, too.

Even the "blind-leading-the-blind" refs.

Comment

We absolutely should. It has been my position on Casey that he is a good motivational coach, and as long as he is not in charge of the offensive or defensive systems, or the ATO plays, or the substitutions, he won't be doing anything he's bad at.

This might sound facetious but I do honestly believe that Casey is a good coach for getting guys to put in effort and play for him - even guys like JJ and JV who are dramatically underused seem to like Casey for some reason. So that's good.

The good news is that good assistants CAN be given the role of offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator - as seen to pretty good effect with Greer, and not great effect from Kalamian (who I believe is the offence guy this year). Nurse did a great job with his horns offence a couple years ago. And ATO's can come from anybody, no problem there. But unfortunately, the biggest issue I have with Casey (now that his insane defensive system is finally gone) is his rotation. And head coaches are the guys who make that call, seemingly without exception.

That's where I have to draw the line with Casey - and why I want him gone. He plays the wrong guys too much, the right guys too little, uses most of them wrong in terms of role, and most of them with the wrong teammates (IMO, obviously, though there are stats that tell the same story).
                      This post reminds me of the Flint Tropics and their Head Coach/Player/GM/Owner Will Ferrell giving a motivational talk but admitting he is not a XO's guy. Lol.

Comment

I'd hardly say techs are a good indicator of a coach speaking up, every single game you can see Casey screaming at the refs after every call he doesn't agree with. I just think he's a master of knowing when to stop complaining or knowing what key words to avoid saying to avoid getting technicals. I think Casey's really good at motivating the players to play hard so he doesn't need to resort to the "get a technical to fire up the guys" tactics.

Or he realises how close every single Raptors game is and knows it'd be foolish to potentially give up a free point.

Comment

• Is that technical foul thing an actual tactic? And does it even work? I've seen it mentioned for years.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                            This post reminds me of the Flint Tropics and their Head Coach/Player/GM/Owner Will Ferrell giving a motivational talk but admitting he is not a XO's guy. Lol.
                            I'd take that guy over Casey in a heart beat.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                              So shouldn't we be very pleased that:

1) the stats Jrice9 has brought forward tell such a positive story, and
                              2) Casey is making good use of his assistants' strengths, this season, to improve the team's performance?

What's not to like?
                              I already wrote what's not to like, but once again for emphasis:

I've ALSO seen, in consecutive games, Demarre Carroll (a terrible passer) as the inbounder in crunch-time, and having to burn timeouts both times because he couldn't get it in, even though both times there were multiple open targets.
                              Just everyone remember that the out of timeout plays have not all been gumdrops and bubblegum.

tDotted also brought up a great point about how we should take a look at what the 4th quarter numbers are, because, IMO, those are much more important. (And nevermind 4th quarter - it should be crunch time.)

Casey drew up the final play of a seven game series on the wrong side of the court. That may very well have cost us the series. He has a looooooooooooooong way to go before he has my trust back.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                                Is that technical foul thing an actual tactic? And does it even work? I've seen it mentioned for years.
                                Hard to prove, but I believe it can.

Theory is that in certain situations, you can get the refs to notice something more after getting the tech, because now that you've made such a big deal about it, the ref will, perhaps subconsciously, look for proof that they are correct or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X