#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Because I have eyes and saw the Spurs make very bad passes that they pretty much never make. There was more than one pass that was not even remotely close to one of their players, made with no real pressure on the passer and were basically passes straight to our D. I can't give us credit for those kinds of plays. Sometimes other teams do just play badly.

Considering those plays led directly to fast break points in the first half in a game where we outscored them in that area by double digits but barely hung on for the win...yeah, it seems like it was a pretty critical factor that had pretty much nothing to do with our performance.
    But why focus on some bad passes in the first half rather than that neither they, nor their coach, could break us down sufficiently in the fourth?

Or that they had one player ailing (but dressed) and we have two starters in street clothes?

Oh, right. Because you "have eyes". Okay, then.
    Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Dec 10, 2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
      Jrice:

We're consistently a better early season team than late season team. Lowry and DeRozan are once again in the top 10 in the league in minutes. These two things probably correlate. I see no indications that the path we're headed down this year won't be identical last year, except our early season, where we're running our guys hard, isn't giving us nearly the record it gave us last year, and our division is much tougher.
      In 2013-14 didn't we start 6-12...

Hard to say "consistently" better early season team than late season when you only have 1 season to base that off of.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
        But why focus on some bad passes in the first half rather than that nether they, nor their coach, could break us down sufficiently in the fourth?

Oh, right. Because you "have eyes". Okay, then.
        I mean, the Spurs were below season averages in almost every statistical category. So either we're way better than them or they played a bad game. Which is more likely?
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Jrice:

We're consistently a better early season team than late season team. Lowry and DeRozan are once again in the top 10 in the league in minutes. These two things probably correlate. I see no indications that the path we're headed down this year won't be identical last year, except our early season, where we're running our guys hard, isn't giving us nearly the record it gave us last year, and our division is much tougher.
          The minutes thing is pobabally my current #1 beef with Casey especially since he could take the gas off in some of our games against bad teams.

However, the one thing that I would suggest is fundamentally different is that Lowry is in much better shape and may (Though not definately I would grant you) hold up better against fatigue.

I'm not convinced the 2013-2014 Raptors ran out of gas but I agree that the 2014-2015 Raptors largely did (though they also cost killed for other reasons some of them fairly blamed on Casey) though DeMar's injury had an important effect on that (particularly of course on him and Lowry)

EDIT: Important point, i'm not sure the 2013-2014 Raptors really got worse down the stretch in the regular season either. They started off horribly made the trade and from my recollection pretty much just played awesome ball the rest of the year.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
            In 2013-14 didn't we start 6-12...

Hard to say "consistently" better early season team than late season when you only have 1 season to base that off of.
            What happened after the 6-12 start in 2013-14, and what was our record over the next 2 months after that event that happened?

We both know the answer to this.

Comment

• Jrice9 wrote: View Post
              The minutes thing is pobabally my current #1 beef with Casey especially since he could take the gas off in some of our games against bad teams.

However, the one thing that I would suggest is fundamentally different is that Lowry is in much better shape and may (Though not definately I would grant you) hold up better against fatigue.

I'm not convinced the 2013-2014 Raptors ran out of gas but I agree that the 2014-2015 Raptors largely did (though they also cost killed for other reasons some of them fairly blamed on Casey) though DeMar's injury had an important effect on that (particularly of course on him and Lowry)

EDIT: Important point, i'm not sure the 2013-2014 Raptors really got worse down the stretch in the regular season either. They started off horribly made the trade and from my recollection pretty much just played awesome ball the rest of the year.
              The minutes thing is a serious concern, especially as Lowry, even if he's in better shape, is also getting older. He's logging more minutes per night this season than last season, and his usage rate is up as well.

Comment

What happened after the 6-12 start in 2013-14, and what was our record over the next 2 months after that event that happened?

That team was pretty damn consistent post Gay, peaking in April, no real sign they got worn down.

11-6 +3.7 in January

7-5 +4.1 in February

10-6 +3.5 in March

6-2 +4.2 in April

Comment

Games 21-40: 13-7
                  Games 41-60: 14-6
                  Games 61-80: 13-7

Umm yeah... not seeing a lot of up and down play there. (btw I didn't pick those ranges arbitrarily, that's how BREF divides it).

Comment

I mean, the Spurs were below season averages in almost every statistical category. So either we're way better than them or they played a bad game. Which is more likely?
                    Those aren't the only options! That we're "way better" or they played a bad game. Seriously ... dude!

Comment

The minutes thing is a serious concern, especially as Lowry, even if he's in better shape, is also getting older. He's logging more minutes per night this season than last season, and his usage rate is up as well.
                      100% I think its a concern and something worth paying attention too, I'm curious what happens if we get into an easier string of games or less close ones overall (Raptors have played a remarkable amount of close games).

My one counter to the minutes being too high (And I mostly agree) is that superstars in their primes play big minutes and have high usages. And if one beleives thats what Lowry is and he has the better shape to carry that load, its just a natural progression. Lowry minutes are similar to Chris Paul's historical ones for instance.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                        One game does not a dat set make

Seriously Spurs played bad and Raps played good. It happens. However, Raps still barely won while they were on and the Spurs were off....so ya, our offense is great /pink
                        Biggest asterisks is the scoring without outside shooting. The has to do with the Spurs completely allowing blow-bys and minimal resistance to post ups. They pretty much let the Raptors do whatever they wanted. 50%+ FG for most of the game

Comment

• The Bulls have struggled mightily this year. They're currently 8th in the East(11-8) and now this:

There were a lot of pro-Hoiberg here last year from what i remember
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Hoiberg seems like a terrible coach from what I've read and he isnt alone in the sense that new coaches arent always what they cracked up to be. Grass is always greener...

Comment

Hoiberg seems like a terrible coach from what I've read and he isnt alone in the sense that new coaches arent always what they cracked up to be. Grass is always greener...
                              Yep this is why if you're firing a coach you've really got to try your best to make sure you're getting someone elite or it's the same old story.

Comment

100% I think its a concern and something worth paying attention too, I'm curious what happens if we get into an easier string of games or less close ones overall (Raptors have played a remarkable amount of close games).

My one counter to the minutes being too high (And I mostly agree) is that superstars in their primes play big minutes and have high usages. And if one beleives thats what Lowry is and he has the better shape to carry that load, its just a natural progression. Lowry minutes are similar to Chris Paul's historical ones for instance.
                                The problem is this season we've shown no ability to blow out lesser teams. We let bad teams stay in games, which keeps the minutes high on DeMar and Lowry. Chris Paul's historical minutes are not a good comparison, as Paul also has faced criticism for wearing down in the playoffs at times.

Comment

Working...
                                X