#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Don't know if this this has been posted yet, but it's another article (along with Zach Lowe's the other day) that points out that ball movement offences may not work well without the right personnel. The more I read these, the more it seems Casey, Nurse et al may not be the offensive idiots we make them out to be.

https://thecauldron.si.com/new-nba-c...567#.4ajpcs78g
    Wow. It's almost as if players matter in basketball. Who could have guessed?

Comment

• Meh, anecdotal evidence. Better evidence has been used in these threads, highlighting some basic principles of easily the majority of currently successful NBA teams: they move the ball well, shoot 3's well, and defend the perimeter + 3 point shot well.

For every piece of anecdotal evidence for teams that couldn't adapt, you can easily provide examples of teams that have adapted - you'll end up with a moot point.

Helpful questions to ask would be if/how/why the Bulls and Grizzlies have failed to evolve, but it seems to me both cases are waaayyyy to early to write off the attempt to evolve.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Thing is when DD sits, Raps have shown an ability to work the ball on offense.

Reality is it takes hard work and discipline to run a system based on ball movement. I think the easiest thing for Casey to do, as the defensive guru he is - lol, is play an ISO style of play since it does play to the strengths of his top 2 guards.
        I know this was sarcastic, but it really is an important point.

Casey is not a defensive coach, he is merely a coach who likes playing at a slow pace. The only consistency with all the teams he's coached in Toronto and Minnesota is being near the bottom of the league in pace. People tend to associate slow pace with good defense because of the grind-it-to-a-halt Spurs teams of the early-mid 2000s and Pistons, but that's really not the case.

Casey's teams have been wildly inconsistent defensively. He's only ever coached two top 10 defenses (and they were exactly 10th), once in Toronto and once in Minny, and most of his teams have been in the mid-late teens or outside the top 20.

People like to give him weird credit as the defensive guru in Dallas but I feel like that was just a web of BS (which I admittedly bought at the time) spun by BC in Dallas. If you look back you'll see that Carlisle coached several elite defensive teams in Indiana and Detroit with the common theme being a mobile, shotblocking bigman (Big Ben, Jermaine O'Neal, Tyson Chandler).

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
          One of the biggest changes is Thibs defense (ICE'ing PnR, C staying in the paint, etc...), brought over by Andy Greer. This was to replace the scrambling and other strategic issues with Casey's defense. That's pretty well documented.
          Gotta love that scramble defence from last season.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            Wow. It's almost as if players matter in basketball. Who could have guessed?
            What is this heresy you speak of ? Players as an integral part of basketball ?
            You must recant and forget what you saw behind the curtain .. that coaching usually revolves around the quaint notion of getting the most out of the current players strengths. Recant and rejoin the lemmings march to the sea.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
              I know this was sarcastic, but it really is an important point.

Casey is not a defensive coach, he is merely a coach who likes playing at a slow pace. The only consistency with all the teams he's coached in Toronto and Minnesota is being near the bottom of the league in pace. People tend to associate slow pace with good defense because of the grind-it-to-a-halt Spurs teams of the early-mid 2000s and Pistons, but that's really not the case.

Casey's teams have been wildly inconsistent defensively. He's only ever coached two top 10 defenses (and they were exactly 10th), once in Toronto and once in Minny, and most of his teams have been in the mid-late teens or outside the top 20.

People like to give him weird credit as the defensive guru in Dallas but I feel like that was just a web of BS (which I admittedly bought at the time) spun by BC in Dallas. If you look back you'll see that Carlisle coached several elite defensive teams in Indiana and Detroit with the common theme being a mobile, shotblocking bigman (Big Ben, Jermaine O'Neal, Tyson Chandler).
              This.

This is the most honest thing posted in here in a while. When Casey was signed on, I was intrigued..... and saw his record with the T-Wolves. He had KG and nothing else to work with, and yet he posted a terrible record.

So I was thinking "Great, another coach who's done nothing except win as a assistant". But I kept hearing about how he was a Defensive coach & fell in love.....

Now? I want him out of here. Badly. I want to lock him in a coffin so I don't have to see that face ever again.

(Same thing goes for a certain SG)
              Axel wrote:
              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
              KeonClark wrote:
              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
              KeonClark wrote:
              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                Most obvious counter example is the Lebron-Wade Miami Heat.

The first season LBJ-Wade started with the your-turn/my-turn ISO style that they both had become accustomed to. After the Mavs packed the paint and showed that even GOAT players couldn't win with a mostly ISO based system, the Heat adapted. Lebron and Wade incorporated more ball movement and Heat added shooters like Battier & Allen, plus energy guys like Birdman. Bosh even changed his game to become a stretch big, small-ball C.
                Exactly, they brought in the personnel to play that way.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  Exactly, they brought in the personnel to play that way.
                  We have that personnel already in place.

Stretch 4s with 3pt range? 2Pat and Scola.
                  Low usage 3andD guys? Ross and Carroll.
                  Energy guy? JJ.

The difference between us and those Heat teams? Their ISO guys were way, way better than ours are, and we have a real elite post-up center, something they never had.
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post

Energy guy? JJ.

The difference between us and those Heat teams? Their ISO guys were way, way better than ours are, and we have a real elite post-up center, something they never had.
                    Regardless of personel Casey'soffense would be guys standing around on the perimeter spacing while guards drive and when the defense collapse completely sometimes kick

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post

Energy guy? JJ.

Why would they change it if they've had a top10 offense last 2 years? As well as their two best player are having career years in that system. Yes, I know lack of playoffs success. I think that had more to do with terrible defense and Lowry not being healthy. You play to the strength of you best players.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• casey and thibdeau dog snakes scumbags...

look a Chicago Bulls Reppers minutes when He was coach starting inside Rose Season

2010-2011
                        Luol Deng 39.1 minutes as a
                        Derrick Rose 37.4

2011-2012
                        Luol Deng Got Injured only repped 54 games YET STILL 39+ MINUTES!!!
                        Derrick Rose only repped 39 games 35.3 Minutes

2012-2013- finally well again thibedeau repped Deng 38+ MINUTES
                        ROSE DID NOT EVEN REP HE WAS INJURED

2013-2014
                        Luol Deng ONLY REPPED 23 GAMES 37+ MINUTES
                        Derreck Rose finally Healed after missing an entire season and (tears)
                        THIBS REPPED HIM 31MINUTES AS SOON AS HES BACK!!! Reps 10 GAMES ONLY INJURED AGAIN

SABOTAGERS aka COLLEGE COACHES LOOK AT SPORTS REPPERS AS SLAV....OOPS!!!

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          Why would they change it if they've had a top10 offense last 2 years? As well as their two best player are having career years in that system. Yes, I know lack of playoffs success. I think that had more to do with terrible defense and Lowry not being healthy. You play to the strength of you best players.
                          Our best players aren't good enough for playoff success in this system. Lowry and DeMar are all-stars, and good players, but neither one of them is great. In the playoffs, if you're going to play 2-man basketball, your 2 guys had better be great.
                          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Notice that THIBEDEAU AND CASEY FORCED TO USE ROSE AND DENG, LOWRY AND DEMAR CAUSE THEY TOO GOOD TO BENCH SO THEY OVER USE THEM..

THEN YOU HAD GUYS LIKE JERRYD BAYLESS TRACY MCGRADY WHO DID NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO REP, BENCHED, LUCAS, BRUNO NOT EVEN ON THE SQUAD UNLESS AN INJURY

THESE COACHES TRYING TO SABOTAGE THE CAREERS OF GUYS WITH ALL NBA TALENT THAT SHOULD DOMINATE NBA.

COLLEGE COACHES LOOK AT SPORTS ESPECIALLY FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL REPPERS AS SLAVES

Comment

• It's all about repping.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• CB4Champ wrote: View Post
                                Notice that THIBEDEAU AND CASEY FORCED TO USE ROSE AND DENG, LOWRY AND DEMAR CAUSE THEY TOO GOOD TO BENCH SO THEY OVER USE THEM..

THEN YOU HAD GUYS LIKE JERRYD BAYLESS TRACY MCGRADY WHO DID NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO REP, BENCHED, LUCAS, BRUNO NOT EVEN ON THE SQUAD UNLESS AN INJURY

THESE COACHES TRYING TO SABOTAGE THE CAREERS OF GUYS WITH ALL NBA TALENT THAT SHOULD DOMINATE NBA.

COLLEGE COACHES LOOK AT SPORTS ESPECIALLY FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL REPPERS AS SLAVES
                                Casey didn't coach Tracy McGrady...

Bayless only played in 30 games under Casey and started 11 of those games.

Not fair to use those two as examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X