Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Vince Carter

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Some combination of his job description (flying everywhere, high intensity) and his genetics (freakishly long) and stuff like that make it worse than Steve the car salesman with blood clot issues
    Still doesn't seem to be as serious as some make it out to be. He's at an elevated risk but could be quite easily monitored.
    If a clot travels to the lungs, though, things could get more serious. Dr. Martina Trinkaus, a hematologist in Toronto, said that type of clot, called pulmonary embolism, usually comes with shortness of breath and a rapid heart rate. Untreated, about 25 percent of lung clots are fatal. For instance, she said, “for conditioned athletes who should have a low resting heart rate, a rate over 100 is alarming and should be investigated,” said Dr. Trinkaus.
    The main problem still seems to be playing on anti-coagulants.

    Bosh told the New York Times that he was working on a plan with his doctors; that plan likely includes blood thinners like rivaroxaban. The problem with many blood thinners is that they aren’t easily reversible. A few hard bumps and Bosh could bleed uncontrollably. Another option is warfarin, but it can interact negatively with food and other medications. One of the biggest challenges of treating blood clots is post-thrombotic syndrome — it’s a painful and sometimes debilitating after-effect of blood clots. About 1 in 3 people who get clots get the syndrome.
    “It has more to do with whether or not they are on anticoagulants. Personally, if the individual is in a contact sport, I would not recommend they continue to play while on blood thinners. The risk is too high, especially for a traumatic head bleed,” Ku says.

    The American College of Chest Physicians updated its guidelines earlier this year, saying that if you have more than one clot, you need to be on long-term anticoagulation therapy. This could explain why elite athletes in contact sports retire after a second clot episode.
    https://www.statnews.com/2016/09/27/...a-blood-clots/
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Thu Feb 15th, 2018, 04:23 PM.

    Comment


    • Comment


      • Maury wrote: View Post
        I definitely don’t want to see CB bleed out on the ACC floor
        Pretty sure he'd never consider playing if he was on an anticoagulant that couldn't be reversed.

        Comment


        • Maury wrote: View Post
          I definitely don’t want to see CB bleed out on the ACC floor
          That is far fetched and unlikely.
          It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

          Comment


          • i don't see how any doctor would be willing to let a guy risk his life, not to mention risk their own career, on this.

            Comment


            • KHD wrote: View Post
              i don't see how any doctor would be willing to let a guy risk his life, not to mention risk their own career, on this.
              Agreed. So if the Raps sign him, it means the doctor is confident it's not a great risk. Simple.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

              Comment


              • DanH wrote: View Post
                Agreed. So if the Raps sign him, it means the doctor is confident it's not a great risk. Simple.
                Yeah that's my point.

                If an NBA team actually clears and signs Bosh, he's safe to play.

                I massively doubt it will happen though.

                Comment


                • KHD wrote: View Post
                  Yeah that's my point.

                  If an NBA team actually clears and signs Bosh, he's safe to play...
                  Or they were able to get insurance coverage and a waiver.

                  Comment


                  • So is Vince gonna start his first game back?

                    Comment


                    • Puffer wrote: View Post
                      Or they were able to get insurance coverage and a waiver.
                      Still has to be cleared by the NBA ans their doctor.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

                      Comment


                      • Though 'every case is different', other professional athletes seem to have managed to continue playing after similar problems to Bosh:

                        https://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/16/1...nners-examples

                        Comment


                        • KHD wrote: View Post
                          Yeah that's my point.

                          If an NBA team actually clears and signs Bosh, he's safe to play.

                          I massively doubt it will happen though.
                          The more I think about it there may be something to this. Ujiri had a quote that strangely didn't set us abuzz where he said something to the effect of expect some surprises. Then Webster indicated we'd be active in the market, and grange reported the raptors may surprise people.

                          If bosh was even 60% of himself and just replaced siakam directly (sorry Pascal there's always next year) that's a serious upgrade. If bosh became 90% of himself, bring on golden State.
                          It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                          Comment


                          • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            The more I think about it there may be something to this. Ujiri had a quote that strangely didn't set us abuzz where he said something to the effect of expect some surprises. Then Webster indicated we'd be active in the market, and grange reported the raptors may surprise people.

                            If bosh was even 60% of himself and just replaced siakam directly (sorry Pascal there's always next year) that's a serious upgrade. If bosh became 90% of himself, bring on golden State.
                            Everyone's already rang the I don't wanna see a man die alarm so I'll just quote this and reiterate, Bosh's skillset is almost exactly what we're looking for. 3 point shooting, offensive gravity, size, and spotlight relief for our all stars.

                            Comment


                            • Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                              Everyone's already rang the I don't wanna see a man die alarm so I'll just quote this and reiterate, Bosh's skillset is almost exactly what we're looking for. 3 point shooting, offensive gravity, size, and spotlight relief for our all stars.
                              It's not about us. I'm pretty sure that NBA doesn't want anyone to die on live TV.

                              Comment


                              • Raptor fans are awesome. The Vince thing isn't even concluded and it's old news. We're on to bosh now lol
                                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X