Everything Vince Carter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post
    Hope Chuck is right. I'm pretty sure 2 and 3 will happen. Not sure about 1 though. 1 of 2 needs to happen - he gets traded here or 2, he signs a 1 day contract here before he retires. Kinda like what Roy Halladay did in 2013 when he signed a 1 day contract with the Blue Jays.

Ughh. Tbh vince is what made me a basketball fan, but he played here for 6 years almost 15 years ago. We've had like 4 seasons going on 5 in a row better than his beat year, he never won any major awards, sulked, sat out with injury sometimes probably longer than he needed to, then requested a trade out and set us back for a decade.

There was a time when he was arguably more famous than the franchise. I'd like that time to be long gone. Sure give him some sort of honor, but this business of him retiring a raptor like he's gordie freakin Howe or even paul pierce, enough. The page is turned. We've already given him like 3 documentaries, standing ovations and tributes. Thanks for the memories, was a fun 6 years.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I kind of like the one day signing thing. A whole season could maybe go ok but it could also be really complicated and has the potential to get uncomfortable if/when things don't go well.

I was as big a fan of Carter as anybody back in the day and then hated on him as much as anyone when he left. That said, I think him retiring as a Rap could serve as a pretty big symbolic gesture of apology on his part, and I think I could be ok with that. Think that might make for some full-circle real closure about the whole thing. He certainly fucked things up for us the way he left but considering what could've been had he and T-Mac had their heads on straight, they fucked things for themselves more than anyone. Those game winners in a Nets jersey are really shitty to watch, but they still can't really dampen the magic of watching what he did in a Raps jersey. Brought us out of obscurity and onto the world stage. And now, with our recent level of success, we're passed really needing to worry about it too much anymore.

In any case, I trust Masai to make the right call. If he thinks it'll be good for the organization, I'll support that. To this point it's appeared that Masai's not really interested in the drama/distraction. The way we're brilliantly using our depth so far, I also don't wanna waste a roster spot if he's just gonna ride the bench. All in on the youth movement.

Comment

• I think you have a chance of disrespecting the current guys who are here trying to build their own legacies - and they're doing it with a lot more commitment to the team + city than Vince ever had. I mean nobody really ever enjoyed playing with Washington MJ or last-season-Kobe. The sideshow is not about your team or the present. Leave the glory years highlight reels for documentaries.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Ughh. Tbh vince is what made me a basketball fan, but he played here for 6 years almost 15 years ago. We've had like 4 seasons going on 5 in a row better than his beat year, he never won any major awards, sulked, sat out with injury sometimes probably longer than he needed to, then requested a trade out and set us back for a decade.

There was a time when he was arguably more famous than the franchise. I'd like that time to be long gone. Sure give him some sort of honor, but this business of him retiring a raptor like he's gordie freakin Howe or even paul pierce, enough. The page is turned. We've already given him like 3 documentaries, standing ovations and tributes. Thanks for the memories, was a fun 6 years.
          This.
          Exactly this.
          One more word: Quitter.

Comment

• Vince Carter says return to Toronto Raptors 'supposed to happen'

Make of this what you will:

I'm guessing some sort of ceremonial contract to retire as a Raptor? What do people think about this?

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
              Vince Carter says return to Toronto Raptors 'supposed to happen'

I'm guessing some sort of ceremonial contract to retire as a Raptor? What do people think about this?
              I don't like it but its gonna happen most likely. I'm just not fond of celebrating a player who flat out stopped playing basketball because he was upset with management.
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                Vince Carter says return to Toronto Raptors 'supposed to happen'

Yep, why not?

Time heals all wounds, I guess. Vince put us on the map, so we have to remember him one way or another. Clapping and talking about him is not enough.

Comment

• I'm fine with it. Its been over a decade. He is the Raptors biggest superstar in franchise history. Plus he'd be a great mentor for the young guys.

Comment

• In 2K18, I traded for Vince so he'd retire a Raptor, and then I made him my Head Coach when he did ... so I just see this as Part-1 of the 2-Part process. Lol

Comment

• This has been beaten to death. Just want the guy to retire and leave us alone. Our most success has been with Lowry and DeMar. They should be the ones getting recognized. Not Vince.

A second round playoff appearance is not a big deal. He had some wicked dunks, and we got to play on national TV.. but his teams were pretty meh.

For getting Canadians to play ball.. well if Vince did help in that, then he should get into the Canadian Hall of Fame. Maybe name a Gym after him or something. But his number should definitely not be retired. You reward retiring jerseys for loyalty first, and accomplishment second. Jose or Amir's numbers should be retired over Vince's. And frankly I'd prefer to give a roster spot to a young kid than a vet like Carter who'll take minutes away from guys we want to develop. Plus even a minimum deal will be costly if we're going to be a tax team.

Anyway this is a very touchy subject for lots of Raptors fans I'm sure. MLSE/Masai needs to be very careful in determining if it's really worth honouring him or not.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                        Yep, why not?

Time heals all wounds, I guess. Vince put us on the map, so we have to remember him one way or another. Clapping and talking about him is not enough.
                        Nah.. we gave him a tribute last year (I think). Hell he even got a documentary. That's enough.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                          I'm fine with it. Its been over a decade. He is the Raptors biggest superstar in franchise history. Plus he'd be a great mentor for the young guys.
                          What makes you think he'd be a good mentor? He seems to not really care about winning.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Nah.. we gave him a tribute last year (I think). Hell he even got a documentary. That's enough.
                            planetmars needs few more years to forgive Vince.

Comment

• The way I look at it, is Vince will be in the Hall of Fame one day, no doubt in the my mind - and a player of that caliber deserves a proper send off. And no other team is more fitting and appropriate to accommodate that send off than the Raptors. Yes, Vince turned into a bit of a journeyman, but even in that, he showed that athletic freaks like him can age somewhat gracefully.
                              I'd be happy for the Raptors to be the "final resting grounds" of his career, and the jersey with which he is inducted into the Hall for.

Comment

• It's not so much about forgiving.. I do believe that management was more at fault than he was.. but just from a stance of what did he really do for the Raptors. He played here for 6 1/4 seasons. Made the playoffs once, got to the second round and lost.

He was a 5x all-star which is something I guess, but so was Bosh and nobody brings up Bosh (and he's actually retired).

He wasn't like a top 10 player in the league at any point. Retiring the first jersey means something. I don't think his deserve's it. Maybe after DD and KL get theirs retired I'll be more open to it.

As for HofF.. I think he had more success as a Net than a Raptor. Got to play in the playoffs 3 years with them and was an all-star all thre eyears. He should get in as a Net if he makes the hall. I don't think he should, but the Hall is kind of weird.. really more depends on his class than his merits. If he retires this year, he might make it since he doesn't really have much competition. Unless Dirk and Manu retire at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X