Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocwell wrote: View Post
    Yep, why not?

Time heals all wounds, I guess. Vince put us on the map, so we have to remember him one way or another. Clapping and talking about him is not enough.
    Why not enough?

Maybe a gold statue, name a stadium after him? How about the city? Vince carter, ontario
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Why not enough?

Maybe a gold statue, name a stadium after him? How about the city? Vince carter, ontario
      I've stopped reading right there(bold).

Comment

• Proud of you Raptors fans. Time heals all wounds as they say. Now the management needs to do the right thing. 1.) Trade for Vince and let him finish his career here. The guy should a retire as a RAPTOR period. And 2.) They need to retire his #15 after he retires. That is a no freakin brainer. Greatest player in franchise history. EASILY.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• They also should build a statue of him outside the ACC.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• lol

I don't care what they do, but I wouldn't do too much for a guy who's biggest impact here was being really popular. As has been mentioned, when you look at W/L, playoffs, or even his league award votes, the guy didn't actually accomplish much that goes in a record book here. The Bosh teams were just about as good and the Lowry/DD teams have been much better.

So how do you recognize a guy who's greatest contribution was being really popular? And it's not to understate that - he led All-Star voting several years in a row and beat out MVP calibre players, championship core players, and sure fire HoFers when he did it. Shaq, Kobe, J-Kidd, Duncan, KG, AI, Vince was a bigger draw than them all. The era was a lot of fun, the Raptors sold out road games all the time, got on national TV in the US, etc. In the YouTube era it's hard to describe how much hype there was to just see Vince play. EVERYBODY wanted to see him play, not just Raptors fans. No other Raptor has touched that level of popularity.

But what's all that worth? I'd save the jersey retirements and long send offs for guys who actually won a lot on the floor, but that's just me. Some highlight reel thank you's, probably a place on a mural or in the ACC, a nice round of applause when he comes back for visits, imho that's enough for a career like that.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              lol

I don't care what they do, but I wouldn't do too much for a guy who's biggest impact here was being really popular. As has been mentioned, when you look at W/L, playoffs, or even his league award votes, the guy didn't actually accomplish much that goes in a record book here. The Bosh teams were just about as good and the Lowry/DD teams have been much better.

So how do you recognize a guy who's greatest contribution was being really popular? And it's not to understate that - he led All-Star voting several years in a row and beat out MVP calibre players, championship core players, and sure fire HoFers when he did it. Shaq, Kobe, J-Kidd, Duncan, KG, AI, Vince was a bigger draw than them all. The era was a lot of fun, the Raptors sold out road games all the time, got on national TV in the US, etc. In the YouTube era it's hard to describe how much hype there was to just see Vince play. EVERYBODY wanted to see him play, not just Raptors fans. No other Raptor has touched that level of popularity.

But what's all that worth? I'd save the jersey retirements and long send offs for guys who actually won a lot on the floor, but that's just me. Some highlight reel thank you's, probably a place on a mural or in the ACC, a nice round of applause when he comes back for visits, imho that's enough for a career like that.
              I don't necessarily disagree, but our history has been so shitty, that we really only have Lowry/DeRozan/Casey to commemorate in two and a half decades of existence.

I don't mind the idea of expanding the criteria to include "any superstar" who played here.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                I don't necessarily disagree, but our history has been so shitty, that we really only have Lowry/DeRozan/Casey to commemorate in two and a half decades of existence.

I don't mind the idea of expanding the criteria to include "any superstar" who played here.
                Our history is only 22 years we don't have to rush and fabricate history or revision our history.
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Raptors had 5 players who made All-Star team: Vince Carter, Davis, Bosh, Derozan, Lowry. Celtics had like 20 for comparison. There's no need to rush this.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    Our history is only 22 years we don't have to rush and fabricate history or revision our history.
                    Well, we're not making stuff up. Just acknowledging that Carter was one of the best players in the league, during his prime years in Toronto.

And if he's going to the Hall anyway, wouldn't it be nice if he did so as a Raptor?

Comment

Well, we're not making stuff up. Just acknowledging that Carter was one of the best players in the league, during his prime years in Toronto.
                      Yeah sure that gets you a tribute video

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                        Yeah sure that gets you a tribute video
                        So Carter's on the same level of franchise relevance as Mugsy Bogues and JYD?

Comment

So Carter's on the same level of franchise relevance as Mugsy Bogues and JYD?
                          If they invited him back to dunk over Mugsy at half time and he actually did it, I'd approve of retiring both their jerseys and erecting a statue of that outside the ACC.

Comment

• Winning a slam dunk competition shouldn't be a reason to have a jersey retired imo

Comment

• I think people who weren't old enough to watch Vince when he played here should be banned from this conversation.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                                I think people who weren't old enough to watch Vince when he played here should be banned from this conversation.
                                Don't you have a Sixers game to watch?

Comment

Working...
                                X