Everything Vince Carter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post
    No its not. I also logged in on this site last night on my desktop and my computer got a virus. Thank god for Kapersky.
    I'm sure there are some decent bundled deals on phones and desktop PCs

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      I've been a Raptors fan ever since Isaiah Thomas busted through that paper Raptors logo. When Carter arrived, he instantly became my favourite player. And when he got traded, he instantly became my most hated player.

But there are 2 sides to every story. Yes, Carter acted like a selfish bitch, and was extremely immature about the situation. But the organization was in shambles, and when you hire Rob freakin' Babcock as GM, I would be pissed too if I were Carter. Raphael Araujo? You want me to play with this stiff? Kevin O'Neil? Is this what passes as an NBA coach these days?

Nobody "forced" Babcock to trade Carter for nothing. That's on Babcock, and the Raptors organization, and THAT'S what set the franchise back for as long as it did. Carter played his part, but the real disservice to this fanbase was done by the team.
      There are two sides to this I agree. Organization was trash. Surrounded him with trash. VC "miraculously" never had an injury in his career after the trade and went from 15 ppg to 27 ppg with the Nets that year. Retire him as a Raptor, end it on a positive note and be done with it. Everything else, like retiring his jersey or a statue (lol) is too much.
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Nilanka - not sure what you mean. I hvae antivirus n both my desktop and phone.

This forum is not the same for a few weeks now.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Nilanka - not sure what you mean. I hvae antivirus n both my desktop and phone.

This forum is not the same for a few weeks now.
          For most of us it's completely fine. You're either using a bad type of internet browser or you something because I haven't had issues at all since that bad weekend
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I'm using chrome.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              There are two sides to this I agree. Organization was trash. Surrounded him with trash. VC "miraculously" never had an injury in his career after the trade and went from 15 ppg to 27 ppg with the Nets that year. Retire him as a Raptor, end it on a positive note and be done with it. Everything else, like retiring his jersey or a statue (lol) is too much.
              I don't know about the specifics (i.e. retired number, or statue, or plaque, or just a simple honoring), but I do think that Carter deserves to be remembered as one of the franchise's greats.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                I am one fan that is a) old enough to very much remember vince whole career, b) loved him very much, and still cheered him on new Jersey (!!!)

But I'm very much over it. Curious timing now that he's an irrelevant player and the raptors are relevant, and he's desperately trying to put a bow on his legacy.

It's like raptors are the wife who spent years trying to get her cheating husband back, and now she's remarried to a rich guy and very happy and very over her ex, and now he's washed up and lonely and won't stop calling
                Decent analogy Keon except the Raptors never spent years trying to get him back
                After the back stabbing traitor left (basically forcing himself out), fans were only more bitter when he immediately started trying again.....

Comment

I'm using chrome.
                  I'm using Chrome too.

The site was a wreck about a week ago, for about 3 days. Has been flawless for me since.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I've been a Raptors fan ever since Isaiah Thomas busted through that paper Raptors logo. When Carter arrived, he instantly became my favourite player. And when he got traded, he instantly became my most hated player.

But there are 2 sides to every story. Yes, Carter acted like a selfish bitch, and was extremely immature about the situation. But the organization was in shambles, and when you hire Rob freakin' Babcock as GM, I would be pissed too if I were Carter. Raphael Araujo? You want me to play with this stiff? Kevin O'Neil? Is this what passes as an NBA coach these days?

Nobody "forced" Babcock to trade Carter for nothing. That's on Babcock, and the Raptors organization, and THAT'S what set the franchise back for as long as it did. Carter played his part, but the real disservice to this fanbase was done by the team.
                    Except Vince started entirely mailing it in and lowered his trade value immediately. Lots of players demand a trade at one time or another but don't start purposely playing like crap and giving away team plays to basically force management's hands....and laughing about it.

Comment

I'm using chrome.
                      You may want to try clearing your cookies or history or something. Most people have seen the issues go away, though the mobile site is still broken.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I guess that's the issue lol I'm using mobile.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The impact that Vince Carter had on basketball in Canada should outweigh what he did to get out of here. As Nilanka said it wasn't all his fault, and we should all be thankful for what he did do while he was here. Without VC I would've not been surprised if we packed our bags with Vancouver and headed back south.

I don't know if y'all played ball in your life, but growing up in the early 2000's everybody on my school's team wanted to be like Vince. To be frank he's the primary reason me and thousands of other kids even got into basketball and went on to take it as seriously as we did. Without him you wouldn't have Canadians representing our country in the NBA, and getting a lot better at it.

When he left the way he did, I had such a hate for the guy but also an unreal passion in Toronto basketball. He was so polarizing that he made us proud to be a Raptor's fan, and when he left we chose to defend our home that he helped built. We kept this franchise here despite all the nightmare years we went through. That might be because we waited and are still waiting for the next VC to rock a Raptors jersey. I don't know about y'all but VC deserves to have himself and his number retired as a Raptor. Time heal's all wounds and also makes you realize a 20 something year old doesn't usually make the best decisions.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                            Except Vince started entirely mailing it in and lowered his trade value immediately. Lots of players demand a trade at one time or another but don't start purposely playing like crap and giving away team plays to basically force management's hands....and laughing about it.
                            Like I said, Carter isn't blameless. But if I held a lifelong grudge against every 25 year old kid who did something stupid, I'd be a very, VERY bitter man.

My good memories of Carter outweigh the bad memories of Carter, and that's mainly because we've experienced a lot of success without him. EDIT: The magnitude of Carter's actions are much less relevant today.
                            Last edited by Nilanka; Mon Dec 18, 2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Deems wrote: View Post
                              The impact that Vince Carter had on basketball in Canada should outweigh what he did to get out of here. As Nilanka said it wasn't all his fault, and we should all be thankful for what he did do while he was here. Without VC I would've not been surprised if we packed our bags with Vancouver and headed back south.

I don't know if y'all played ball in your life, but growing up in the early 2000's everybody on my school's team wanted to be like Vince. To be frank he's the primary reason me and thousands of other kids even got into basketball and went on to take it as seriously as we did. Without him you wouldn't have Canadians representing our country in the NBA, and getting a lot better at it.

When he left the way he did, I had such a hate for the guy but also an unreal passion in Toronto basketball. He was so polarizing that he made us proud to be a Raptor's fan, and when he left we chose to defend our home that he helped built. We kept this franchise here despite all the nightmare years we went through. That might be because we waited and are still waiting for the next VC to rock a Raptors jersey. I don't know about y'all but VC deserves to have himself and his number retired as a Raptor. Time heal's all wounds and also makes you realize a 20 something year old doesn't usually make the best decisions.
                              This was a good post. He was certainly responsible for me becoming an NBA fan, a Raptor fan, and a basketball player. All 3 were without question because of 1 man, Vince Carter. He was one of the biggest influences on my life as a middle schooler, certainly among athletes. I used to do a pull up on the mesh below the hoop before every game, because Vince did.

As you said as well, we've still never had another Vince Carter here, in terms of swagger (the dunks, the way he tucked his jersey in, the headbands, "its ova", etc)

I guess I'm conflicted. In the whole grand scheme of things basketball wise, he didn't accomplish all that much, in fact BOTH Lowry and Derozan have probably accomplished as much or more. But in the global influence sense that you're describing in certainly makes sense. He was a pop culture icon for a couple years.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Jordan had a bigger influence for me.. but I wasn't born or raised in Toronto.. so maybe that's why I'm in the minority (at least in this forum it seems). I watched the NBA before the Raptors, and the Raptors before Vince.. was a big fan of Damon before Vince, and then Vince later but liked the team more than him. Didn't like how he exited.. don't like he didn't do much for this team from an on court perspective.

I don't know if we can poll most fans on this topic.. but if the majority feels like he should be honoured more than he has I won't lose sleep over it. Still think the first jersey retirement should go to DD or KL though.

Comment

Working...
                                X