Everything Vince Carter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    Carter is getting in. Just a matter when.

From Grantlands 2012 article "In Defense of Vince Carter":
    Add to that bringing basketball to another country and making it sustainable(where is Vancouver again?) and literally electrifying the nba with his talent and athleticism....

NO ONE in the nba during those early years was drawing as many oohs and aahhs as VC.

Comment

• Vince Carter didn't bring basketball to Canada. Come on.

Had he not been drafted they probably could have kept T Mac. Carter deserves credit for making basketball more popular though.

The whole "look at what happened to Vancouver" thing isn't fair either. We're talking two different markets. We're talking two different management teams. Zeke headed up the Raptors and say what you will about his Knicks stint and those awful contracts he dished out there, in Toronto he identified talent after talent and Zeke was a personality as well. He deserves as much credit as Carter for the early years. Grunwald deserves a lot of credit as well even if he caved in for Carter's will and overpayed to keep the supporting cast together.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        Vince Carter didn't bring basketball to Canada. Come on.

Had he not been drafted they probably could have kept T Mac. Carter deserves credit for making basketball more popular though.

The whole "look at what happened to Vancouver" thing isn't fair either. We're talking two different markets. We're talking two different management teams. Zeke headed up the Raptors and say what you will about his Knicks stint and those awful contracts he dished out there, in Toronto he identified talent after talent and Zeke was a personality as well. He deserves as much credit as Carter for the early years. Grunwald deserves a lot of credit as well even if he caved in for Carter's will and overpayed to keep the supporting cast together.

How many of these Canadian kids getting drafted now credit VC with drawing them towards basketball?
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I can guarantee that if vancouver had vince, the Grizzlies would still be there.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            How many of these Canadian kids getting drafted now credit VC with drawing them towards basketball?
            Because he happened to be the biggest star. You think Andrew "son of ex-NBA player" Wiggins wasn't going to pick up a basketball and idolize a different Raptor if VC wasn't there?

Or maybe Anthony Bennett was choosing between basketball and the chess club in high school before he saw Vince dunk.

Comment

• Like McGrady.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                Because he happened to be the biggest star. You think Andrew "son of ex-NBA player" Wiggins wasn't going to pick up a basketball and idolize a different Raptor if VC wasn't there?

Or maybe Anthony Bennett was choosing between basketball and the chess club in high school before he saw Vince dunk.
                Interesting thought. Hard to establish a link between sports role models and youth participation, but I think that's one of a few reasons a kid might be drawn to a sport. In this case, just the increased TV exposure Carter gave basketball within Canada was a big deal.

I think the same way Bird and Magic are credited with growing the NBA in the 80's, and MJ and the Dream Team took it global in the 90's, Carter did that for basketball in Canada.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Interesting thought. Hard to establish a link between sports role models and youth participation, but I think that's one of a few reasons a kid might be drawn to a sport. In this case, just the increased TV exposure Carter gave basketball within Canada was a big deal.

I think the same way Bird and Magic are credited with growing the NBA in the 80's, and MJ and the Dream Team took it global in the 90's, Carter did that for basketball in Canada.
                  You're right, he did. And if it wasn't him it might have been someone else but his dunk contest and style of play put that plan on fast forward. So ya I'll give you that he does have that factor going for him for the Hall.

I just don't think the numbers are good enough. His top reasons for having a case are 1) spreading the game in Canada 2) Dunking and 3) Longevity.
                  I don't feel like that's enough to be considered amongst the best of the best.

Comment

You're right, he did. And if it wasn't him it might have been someone else but his dunk contest and style of play put that plan on fast forward. So ya I'll give you that he does have that factor going for him for the Hall.

I just don't think the numbers are good enough. His top reasons for having a case are 1) spreading the game in Canada 2) Dunking and 3) Longevity.
                    I don't feel like that's enough to be considered amongst the best of the best.
                    fwiw I wouldn't put someone in without championship pedigree either, but I don't think the basketball HoF standards are all that high. Just his career pts/reb/ast totals might get him in, they're pretty damn high.

Comment

• i hope he doesn't make it. the nba hall is easy though. he might get to start his own wing for quitters

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        i hope he doesn't make it. the nba hall is easy though. he might get to start his own wing for quitters
                        if you worked for Rob Babcock you would quit two if you had any common sense

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
                          if you worked for Rob Babcock you would quit two if you had any common sense
                          no i wouldn't because i have integrity

Comment

"Zeke deserves as much credit carter for the early year" yeah, because people were lining up for tickets to come watch zeke general manage. Tsn was running promos for this weeks game featuring "isaiah thomas and the torontooooo raptors" cmon man.

You could survey 100 canadians (or torontonians) and ask who the raptors first gm was and less than half would get it. Almost everybody could tell you their biggest star was vince carter.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Then maybe we should have a poll to see what jersey Skip to my Lou will wear for when he's inducted.
                              He should have said "he's the greeatest at one thing among multiple time all stars" kind of like ray allen
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                He should have said "he's the greeatest at one thing among multiple time all stars" kind of like ray allen
                                It should have been implied and accepted by anyone without a huge chip on their shoulder

Comment

Working...
                                X