Everything Anthony Bennett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    Ideally Bennett plays like a boss and we can bring him back next offseason on a cheap 3 year deal (3 years $9-$12M total) to replace Scola as the backup PF. His cap hold will be tiny so he could be one of our last signings, or just use an exception on him. If Bennett still looks like a bust then oh well, we didn't lose anything by giving him a chance.
    Exactly. But if I've ever heard a hint about modest expectations (D-League for Bennett) it was when Masai said (at the cut-rate, yet ) the team could "absorb" him.

Which I think, as I've said - is perfect. NBA markets will report that "The former #1" is in the DLeague in Toronto ... and forget about him. I think He should actually hide there for awhile ... learn the systems, develop confidence and re-surface ... whenever.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      Ideally Bennett plays like a boss and we can bring him back next offseason on a cheap 3 year deal (3 years $9-$12M total) to replace Scola as the backup PF. His cap hold will be tiny so he could be one of our last signings, or just use an exception on him. If Bennett still looks like a bust then oh well, we didn't lose anything by giving him a chance.
      Cap hold is irrelevant.

Raps only able to offer 120% current deal which is basically minimum.

Assuming he flourishes, he is going to get a deal on cap space or room exception (like Biyombo and Hans before).

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
        Honestly.....

a whole lot of chatter on this board about OTR this OHKIUEY that stat this, PEr that.

Forget ALL of it.

There are two things that will happen here;

1. Anthony Bennett was a gamble that didn't pay off because he is simply not good enough for the NBA.

2. Anthony Bennett was not ready for the #1 label. Add to that, some seriously horrific luck physically, and a lack of ability to handle the media pressure held this guy back. He was known to live too much in his own head, beat himself up..... and he ended up cut.

Bennett spent the Summer in a comfortable place. He was allowed to just be another ball player and he rebounded from his negative hole in leap sand bounds. He got healthy physically first, that was HUGE for him. He also shed weight, and matured mentally, emotionally. He was on a team that didn't need to gamble on him, a lot of other teams would NOT have cut him, but Minny could. So Toronto steps in a BANG, they have a former #1 first over all pick, who is still a kid. A massive, strong, fast, talented kid with perfect shooting form.

So here is what I think the OTHER scenario is. Bannett is going to rebound. He was a top pick that guys were salivating over for a reason. He has all the tools still, only now they are healthy. he is home, which for a thinker like him is going to be really positive for his journey back. He's in Toronto where the fans will absolutely push him to succeed. Perhaps he is never a star, but he will be a very good addition.

This is a steal for masai.
        This is a steal for Toronto.
        And as I suspected, masai is building "We the north". Thompson and Wiggins will follow. You will see.

Using stats and all that shit to evaluate this one wont work. This is all feel and straight up hoops. we all know this guy can ball, question is, what Bennett are we getting. My bet is on scenario 2. I'm pretty stoked he is a Raptor.... like massively Stoked.
        Couldn't of said it better myself. The kid can play.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          Cap hold is irrelevant.

Raps only able to offer 120% current deal which is basically minimum.

Assuming he flourishes, he is going to get a deal on cap space or room exception (like Biyombo and Hans before).
          You mean even next off-season we can only offer him 120%??

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
            You mean even next off-season we can only offer him 120%??
            No, he'll be a UFA so full market determined deal. Since we don't own his bird rights, not sure there is even a cap hold.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              No, he'll be a UFA so full market determined deal. Since we don't own his bird rights, not sure there is even a cap hold.
              So ...where does the 120% come in? ... Extension before the end of the season? (I'll concede I've developed something of a grudging respect for mcHAPPY's ... effusions.)

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                Couldn't of said it better myself. The kid can play.
                He can play. All of a sudden all the experts are like "only Cleveland had him pegged no higher than 10th". That is complete BS. Fortunately, there are archives for draft expert projections. Bennett was consensus #6, and pegged anywhere from #4-7. So, at some point in time, a ton of experts thought he had talent. He does.

Check this out & click some of those links for opinions on Bennett.

http://www.nba.com/news/2013-consensus-mock-draft/

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                  He can play. All of a sudden all the experts are like "only Cleveland had him pegged no higher than 10th". That is complete BS. Fortunately, there are archives for draft expert projections. Bennett was consensus #6, and pegged anywhere from #4-7. So, at some point in time, a ton of experts thought he had talent. He does.

Check this out & click some of those links for opinions on Bennett.

http://www.nba.com/news/2013-consensus-mock-draft/
                  Excellent. Thanks.

Comment

So ...where does the 120% come in? ... Extension before the end of the season? (I'll concede I've developed something of a grudging respect for mcHAPPY's ... effusions.)
                    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q38

He is a non-Bird free agent.

Now there is a possibility I am getting his cap hold and what Raps are actually permitted to offer mixed up. I'll let DanH clarify if I've messed that up.

But again, 120% of minimum is, for all intents and purposes, meaningless.

But it is what it is.

Only way it gives Raps a leg up on $$ is if he doesn't show he is worth more than minimum and Raps can give an extra $200k (again, DanH can clarify that).

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q38

He is a non-Bird free agent.

Now there is a possibility I am getting his cap hold and what Raps are actually permitted to offer mixed up. I'll let DanH clarify if I've messed that up.

But again, 120% of minimum is, for all intents and purposes, meaningless.

But it is what it is.

Only way it gives Raps a leg up on $$ is if he doesn't show he is worth more than minimum and Raps can give an extra $200k (again, DanH can clarify that).
                      Actually, I think I misunderstood. As if you said the max we could offer, at some point was 120%. That might be very interesting.

Comment

• The key for Bennett is to work hard and know what type of player he is. He's not a stretch 4, and he's definitely no Larry Johnson.

The fact that he's been out of shape the last 2 seasons to me shows bad work ethic. I don't want to hear all the injuries, it's part of the game. I don't want to hear any excuses. DeRozan missed 2 months last year because of an injury. Was he fat/out of shape when he returned to the Raptors?

Hell, Kobe Bryant missed about a year and a half but he was in GREAT SHAPE when he returned to the Lakers last year.
                        Last edited by The Great One; Mon Sep 28, 2015, 06:05 PM.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Bennett is finally realizing his role.

And you know who he's gonna be like for us?

Amir with a better 3.
                          Axel wrote:
                          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Bennett also had sleep apnea and asthma. His problem was definitely diet but that's a problem for a lot of players. When you don't have that activity or workouts you go out of shape. Lowry has been in a league for 10 years and only now he's in best shape of his life.
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Actually, I think I misunderstood. As if you said the max we could offer, at some point was 120%. That might be very interesting.
                              Just read up on it and McHappy is right. We either rescind him (which eliminates his cap hold) and use cap space or non-Bird-rights exceptions to bring him back, or we sign him using the non-bird exception which maxes out at 120% of the min for Bennett. Presumably he'll play himself into a better contract than $1.2M per year, so we'd end up rescinding him no matter what and might as well rescind him right away to free up the cap space.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                                For minimum. Why not?
                                He won't see the floor under DC so unless he is willing to go to Dleague for development he will be this year's Greg Stiemsma. Yes low risk but do most posters really believe he can develop under DC?

Comment

Working...
                                X