Everything Anthony Bennett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
    He won't see the floor under DC so unless he is willing to go to Dleague for development he will be this year's Greg Stiemsma. Yes low risk but do most posters really believe he can develop under DC?
    He wanted to go to Dleague when he was with Cavs. But Cavs were to embarrassed to send number 1 pick to Dleague. Kid's heart is in a right place.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      Just read up on it and McHappy is right. We either rescind him (which eliminates his cap hold) and use cap space or non-Bird-rights exceptions to bring him back, or we sign him using the non-bird exception which maxes out at 120% of the min for Bennett. Presumably he'll play himself into a better contract than $1.2M per year, so we'd end up rescinding him no matter what and might as well rescind him right away to free up the cap space.
      Or maybe he's made to work like his way up, play in the D-league, and is relatively grateful to sign for 1.2. It's not out of the realm of possibility, dependent only on his pride and the market for a player that probably isn't getting more than 10 mpg.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
        Or maybe he's made to work like his way up, play in the D-league, and is relatively grateful to sign for 1.2. It's not out of the realm of possibility, dependent only on his pride and the market for a player that probably isn't getting more than 10 mpg.
        Well, he gave up $2M to come player here this year, so I'd assume he did it with the intention of getting a bigger contract next offseason to make up for it. Pretty sure all parties, Raptors and Bennett, would be quite disappointed if Bennett is only worth $1.2M per season next year.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          He wanted to go to Dleague when he was with Cavs. But Cavs were to embarrassed to send number 1 pick to Dleague. Kid's heart is in a right place.
          Hopefully he will do stint in Dleague this year especially if it is clear he will be warming the bench.

Comment

• Certainly some interesting comments being made here. From what I can gather, most Raptor fans here are hoping Bennett operates similar to Santa's sleigh in the movie Elf. Except instead of being fueled by Christmas spirit, Bennett is fueled by #WeTheNorth spirit. And Wild-ling#1 is our Zooey Deschanel.

I mean, I get it. I've said it before that it's fun to cheer for things. But some of you seem awfully convinced that it all works out. Like, completely convinced. It does sound great on paper after all. There are very persuasive reasons that have the potential for this to be a good-to-great story with a happy ending (which is probably why his agent wanted him to come to Toronto anyway). And while I do hope he turns it around, I've been a Raptors fan too long to get ahead of myself again.

But maybe I'll see you all in Zihuatanejo one day.

Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
              Hopefully he will do stint in Dleague this year especially if it is clear he will be warming the bench.
              well in Dleague he would get substantial minutes instead of playing behind 4 bigs. Don't see how you can justify playing him ahead of Patterson, Scola, JJ, Biyombo.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                Certainly some interesting comments being made here. From what I can gather, most Raptor fans here are hoping Bennett operates similar to Santa's sleigh in the movie Elf. Except instead of being fueled by Christmas spirit, Bennett is fueled by #WeTheNorth spirit. And Wild-ling#1 is our Zooey Deschanel.

I mean, I get it.

But maybe I'll see you all in Zihuatanejo one day.

Permission to go F@#! myself, sir!
                Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Mon Sep 28, 2015, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• Seriously tho'. I'm not recommending that we hide him in the DLeague and he surface "whenever" caused I'm convinced of anything. Just such a no-cost acquisition that the potential up-side is/seems immense.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q38

He is a non-Bird free agent.

Now there is a possibility I am getting his cap hold and what Raps are actually permitted to offer mixed up. I'll let DanH clarify if I've messed that up.

But again, 120% of minimum is, for all intents and purposes, meaningless.

But it is what it is.

Only way it gives Raps a leg up on $$ is if he doesn't show he is worth more than minimum and Raps can give an extra $200k (again, DanH can clarify that).
                    There is indeed a teeny tiny advantage to keeping his cap hold. His cap hold is 120% of this year's salary. The max we can sign him for if we don't have cap space or an exception is 120% of his minimum NEXT season, which is 100k higher. But yeah, practically nothing.

I'm trying to figure out if Bennet would be a restricted free agent next summer. The wording is funny in Coon's CBAFAQ, so I'm going to have to deep dive into the CBA to figure it out. That would change things a bit.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

well in Dleague he would get substantial minutes instead of playing behind 4 bigs. Don't see how you can justify playing him ahead of Patterson, Scola, JJ, Biyombo.
                      I've seen Biyombo listed a few times now as an option for PF...why would he ever play that position on the Raptors? Thankfully the Raps have better options than Marvin Williams and Jason Maxiell. (and the Raps don't exactly have a quality, proven backup for JV)
                      Last edited by Mess; Mon Sep 28, 2015, 08:02 PM.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• He might fail. It's probably closer to 50/50 than I would like to think. And that's fine.

His first year he was injured, couldn't workout, got out of shape, and was rushed back because, well, the Cavs are a gong show. The next season the Wolves had no interest in giving him time -- he was a throw in, in a trade. They already had young players that they were developing.

I think he deserves at least one chance, now that he's healthy, to make it in the league. If that means D-league time -- he better take it with a smile. If it means being the boss of waving towels -- he better swing those towels like a boss. The reality is that his draft class was mediocre, so being a top 10 pick is relative. But, if he is humble and works hard he costs less than Bruno and could potentially have way more value. I can roll with that.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                          I've seen Biyombo listed a few times now as an option for PF...why would he ever play that position on the Raptors? Thankfully the Raps have better options than Marvin Williams and Jason Maxiell.
                          yeah I don't mean that Biyombo is a PF. I just mean our frontcourt is crowded.

Comment

Very interesting. Encouraging.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                              Very interesting. Encouraging.
                              http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...5743--nba.html

Even before he didn't play a minute in a 120-118 victory over the Lakers on Tuesday night, rookie Anthony Bennett was being asked whether he'd be interested in going down to play with the Cavaliers' owned-and-operated NBA Development League franchise in Canton.

"It's something I'd think about, for sure," Bennett said before Tuesday's game. "It's not a bad thing, especially going down there, hopefully playing a lot, going out there, building my confidence." [...]
                              To this point, the Cavs have resisted a Canton assignment, believing they can monitor his progress and development more carefully if he remains with the team.

"We've been able to find minutes for AB, from time to time, whether it's at the small forward or power forward," coach Mike Brown said on Tuesday. "That hasn't been a bridge we've crossed yet."

Bennett was asked what he thought had to happen for him to gain more confidence.
                              "To be honest, I don't really know,'' he said. "In practice, I'm going hard. I'm making shots, getting a little work done after practice, before practice, in the weight room, doing all that, building a routine.''

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                There is indeed a teeny tiny advantage to keeping his cap hold. His cap hold is 120% of this year's salary. The max we can sign him for if we don't have cap space or an exception is 120% of his minimum NEXT season, which is 100k higher. But yeah, practically nothing.

I'm trying to figure out if Bennet would be a restricted free agent next summer. The wording is funny in Coon's CBAFAQ, so I'm going to have to deep dive into the CBA to figure it out. That would change things a bit.
                                Thanks, dude!

Comment

Working...
                                X