Everything Anthony Bennett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WJF wrote: View Post
    While he would cost us a bit, the reward of being able to sign him to a long term reasonable deal may be worth the risk. He will make 5.5 mil this year, 7.3 next, and 9.5 if he signs his qualifying offer the next year.

Would a James Johnson and our 2016 first round pick get it done? I would be ok with that deal. Not sure that it is enough salary going out, maybe someone who knows more about that can weigh in.
    That seems a lot for a guy that Minnesota is struggling to find a taker for.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

BREAKING NEWS: DNA tests reveal that Anthony Bennett is Norwegian, and not Canadian like many speculated.

Now we can all go back to not caring about him.

Comment

As some have mentioned, I don't care that Bennett is Canadian, I care that he is a lottery pick that is available for what would seem to be something affordable. He is a mobile power forward in the Mold of Paul Millsap. While Millsap was a second round pick and given more of a chance early than Bennett has, I could see Bennett having close to the same career peak that Millsap is experiencing now.

I don't see what is wrong with grabbing him now so that we have some control over him rather then over paying as a restricted free agent of missing out as a free agent. We have lottery pick owed to us for 2016 so we can afford to let our own pick go. Bennett also gives you a player with 2 years (3 years for next year) experience rather than trying to mesh more rookies into to a team that is getting ready to compete.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

As some have mentioned, I don't care that Bennett is Canadian, I care that he is a lottery pick that is available for what would seem to be something affordable. He is a mobile power forward in the Mold of Paul Millsap. While Millsap was a second round pick and given more of a chance early than Bennett has, I could see Bennett having close to the same career peak that Millsap is experiencing now.

I don't see what is wrong with grabbing him now so that we have some control over him rather then over paying as a restricted free agent of missing out as a free agent. We have lottery pick owed to us for 2016 so we can afford to let our own pick go. Bennett also gives you a player with 2 years (3 years for next year) experience rather than trying to mesh more rookies into to a team that is getting ready to compete.
          I think most of it boils down to dollars. Even on a rookie scale deal, he is overpaid and would need significant improvement to even reach "fair" status.

When the team is trying to position itself for free agency, those overpaid deals are a problem.

I don't think people have completely given up on him, but he isn't a value target. If he were, Minnesota wouldn't be shopping him. If not his salary, why would Minnesota be shopping him? They clearly need talent and his connection to Wiggins can only help the team.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
            I can see an LJ type of player honestly, if he just stays healthy and takes his eating seriously....which seems to me he has been.

He is athletic enough to be a very effective 3rd or 4th man in the offense. Like a Ppat type of guy.
            Whoa, whoa, whoa! He has the build/size of LJ, but he is a long way from having the game. He's closer to Anthony Mason than LJ or Sir Charles. I would pass until he shows he belongs in this league.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
              Whoa, whoa, whoa! He has the build/size of LJ, but he is a long way from having the game. He's closer to Anthony Mason than LJ or Sir Charles. I would pass until he shows he belongs in this league.
              I would say Derrick Williams as a more recent comparison.

And totally agree with bold.

Comment

Can AB play defense? That has to be a very critical component to any PF that we sign/trade for. It's the reason why I don't really care for Tristan Thompson and why I'm intrigued about Markief Morris.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                  I think most of it boils down to dollars. Even on a rookie scale deal, he is overpaid and would need significant improvement to even reach "fair" status.

When the team is trying to position itself for free agency, those overpaid deals are a problem.

I don't think people have completely given up on him, but he isn't a value target. If he were, Minnesota wouldn't be shopping him. If not his salary, why would Minnesota be shopping him? They clearly need talent and his connection to Wiggins can only help the team.
                  I think Minnesota feels they have pieces that will allow them to jump up the standings quickly, they need to shed some youth in order to balance their roster. Wiggins, Lavine, Townes, Muhammad, Tyus Jones, and even Dieng and Payne are young. They can't (or wont) want to develop an entire roster of players. KG can only mentor and do so much.

If Bennett gave us this year what Patterson gave us last year would you say his 5.5 mil is a big over pay? If next year he continues his development and puts up say 11 and 7.5 on decent numbers is 7.3 poor value? I don't see his contract as being a hindrance for what he can bring to the table.

By no means is he a sure thing, but I think we finally got a second round pick in Powell that will be a roster player for us, add in what looks like a developing Bruno and Wright, we can afford to take a risk on giving up next years pick for a guy who seems to have toughness we need. It sure is nice to see a guy tear the rim off every now and then!

We have made a few conservative moves that have upgraded the roster nicely in CoJo, Carroll, and Scola, why not take a risk when we have a chance to do it and it really wont hurt our future at all.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Can AB play defense? That has to be a very critical component to any PF that we sign/trade for. It's the reason why I don't really care for Tristan Thompson and why I'm intrigued about Markief Morris.
                    Morris is a good defender?

I think that AB and Thompson both have the ability to guard screen roll well and the strength and length to hold the post. I can't say how they do do with rotations, but I don't think that are any worse than what Morris would bring on that end.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

The big issues AB has had is his conditioning. He came into his rookie year out of shape because he spent the whole summer injured. Than last year when he was starting to get comfortable with the wolves he got injured again and missed 18 games. I think Alex Mckenzie(forgot his last name) would do wonders for him.

How do the wolves try to help his development after he gets hurt? Well they trade for Andrein Payne of course. He got drafted by two teams that's never really been able to develop players unless if they were blue chip talents and were going to be good where ever they went.

The problem with trading for him now is the team that gets him will have to make a quick decision on him without seeing him play for them first. He has a team option for next year for 7.3 mill that has to be decided on by October. His new team would only have two injury ridden seasons, the pam am games and these Olympic qualifier to evaluate him.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        I just see the similarities are there. Obviously he is a long ways away, but with opportunity and training that is the mold of player. Imo.

Hes got good passing and rebounding instincts and has ability to add range to his shot

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Comment

He looked better with the Wolves than he did with the Cavs, he looks even better this summer. Seeing progression is a positive sign.

As for the Williams comparisons, Derrick Williams has been given way more of an opportunity to show what he has than AB has. Williams first 2 years in Minny he average 21.5 and 24.6 minutes per game, Bennett's first 2 years, 12.8 and 15.7. Now injuries and team composition has had something to do with it, but it would appear that with minutes and a defined role like he has with team Canada he can produce.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

He looked better with the Wolves than he did with the Cavs, he looks even better this summer. Seeing progression is a positive sign.

As for the Williams comparisons, Derrick Williams has been given way more of an opportunity to show what he has than AB has. Williams first 2 years in Minny he average 21.5 and 24.6 minutes per game, Bennett's first 2 years, 12.8 and 15.7. Now injuries and team composition has had something to do with it, but it would appear that with minutes and a defined role like he has with team Canada he can produce.
                            OK - lets give him a pass for his rookie season due to surgery recovery.

A number 1 pick averaging just 16 minutes per game on a 33 win team in his second year?

Forget about it.

Masai and Drake want their sit down with KD.

They can sign Bennett in 2 years.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              OK - lets give him a pass for his rookie season due to surgery recovery.

A number 1 pick averaging just 16 minutes per game on a 33 win team in his second year?

Forget about it.

Masai and Drake want their sit down with KD.

They can sign Bennett in 2 years.
                              that dont mean anything though, minutes is not a telling sign.

Thad played more minutes than him, and honestly, last season thad was more deserving cause he is a good player, very good in fact imo, he is a solid starter. That isnt a slack against bennet per say.

Comment

I like the "Canadian" angle. It's not just cool to have Canadian players (though it is cool to be the only non-US team), but it's a team-building strength, and an opportunity, when your country's talent-base is taking a big step forward, I think.

The fell-right-off-a-cliff talent situation seems a little fishy. But I just can't say ...

But the dollars just don't work, do they? Seems like we're in the wrong phase of our cycle to take advantage, no?
                                Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Mon Aug 24, 2015, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X