Everything Anthony Bennett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magoon wrote: View Post
    The Sixers aren't going to claim him because the contract situation makes no sense to pick him up. Whoever has Bennett's current contract has to decide, per the CBA, to guarantee his next two years after this one or not ($16m over two years); if they don't guarantee, then he becomes a free agent at the end of next year, except that the team that didn't guarantee him can't offer more than what he would have made had they guaranteed him!

So the team that has his current contract has the choice of either guaranteeing the back end of his contract (and risking that he never produces and becomes a white elephant contract), or not guaranteeing him (and risking that he plays well for your team - and then signs elsewhere because you aren't allowed to match other teams' generous offers).

It's a lousy set of options. On top of that, Philly has at least three young bigs who need plenty of burn this year (Noel, Okafor and Furkan Aldemir) plus Richuan Holmes who probably deserves some, plus Joel Embiid if he comes back midseason. There's simply no minutes for Philly to give him, so why do they claim off waivers, exactly? Because Bennett isn't a trade asset. If he were, Minnesota would have traded him rather than buy him out.

My understanding, could be wrong:

Bennett is going in to year 3.

His rookie deal is for this upcoming season and next season.

His buyout with Minny only comes in to effect IF no team claims him off waivers.

If his contract is picked up, he stays on current deal.

Deadline to guarantee 4th year is October 31st, I believe.

Team that picks him off waivers will have choice to guarantee fourth year.

Philly is currently just under the floor. Next year they have just $12M guaranteed and about $33M guaranteed. The cap will be pushing $90M next season. They must pay 90% of it to reach the floor. That is why I said money is not an issue.

I agree with your synopsis on the state of roster. Clearly Bennett isn't a trade asset now, but who knows with time and opportunity?

Bottom line is Phhilly have to spend money - why not give it to Bennett? If he becomes something? Great. If not, they can buy him out again or let him sit on the bench until contract is up.

Comment

If he clears waivers, he can be signed to a standard contract - so the league minimum. He's a third-year player, so: $948,163. That's the absolute minimum we could pay him.

Both Cathal Kelly and Eric Koreen have said that they think the Raps will sign Bennett if they get the chance. I think there's good odds they'll get that chance.
      Thanks for this. Given the emergence of an unprecedented flow of Canadian talent coming along, I have to think we ought to be open to showing that we are open to doing what we can in this area.

I've long admired the Detroit Red Wings as an open-minded, internationally focused and patient organization when it came to player recruiting and development. I think the Raptors have a huge potential advantage in these areas as the only true international franchise. Sure, we should keep a close eye on Canadian talent ... but we needn't stop there. If we stop imagining that not being New York or LA is a disadvantage, I think we can regularly outperform the other 29 organizations. But the emergence of an explosion of Canadian talent is a good place to start.

So I think that if we can, without blowing the budget, or promising the moon, I think we bring a boy like Anthony Bennett home.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        If his contract is picked up, he stays on current deal.

Deadline to guarantee 4th year is October 31st, I believe.

Team that picks him off waivers will have choice to guarantee fourth year.
        No - team that picks him off waivers has the choice to guarantee both the fourth and fifth years. All at once.

Philly is currently just under the floor. Next year they have just $12M guaranteed and about $33M guaranteed. The cap will be pushing $90M next season. They must pay 90% of it to reach the floor. That is why I said money is not an issue.
        This isn't exactly accurate.

Yes, Philly has to pay 90% of cap to reach the salary floor. But there's no real penalty for them if they don't hit the floor; they just then pay their players extra money until they reach the floor. So it's not a matter of need for them to hit the floor.

If they sign Bennett now, that's $6m of cap space gone for no real good purpose. Remember, they don't have to hit the cap floor until the end of the season. It's much wiser for Philly to use their cap space to absorb a player later on when a team that needs to shed salary is trying to make a trade. (For example: if Eric Gordon doesn't work out, I can see New Orleans trying to add pieces around Anthony Davis - and sending Gordon's salary to Philly along with a draft pick.)

Comment

No - team that picks him off waivers has the choice to guarantee both the fourth and fifth years. All at once.

This isn't exactly accurate.

Yes, Philly has to pay 90% of cap to reach the salary floor. But there's no real penalty for them if they don't hit the floor; they just then pay their players extra money until they reach the floor. So it's not a matter of need for them to hit the floor.

If they sign Bennett now, that's $6m of cap space gone for no real good purpose. Remember, they don't have to hit the cap floor until the end of the season. It's much wiser for Philly to use their cap space to absorb a player later on when a team that needs to shed salary is trying to make a trade. (For example: if Eric Gordon doesn't work out, I can see New Orleans trying to add pieces around Anthony Davis - and sending Gordon's salary to Philly along with a draft pick.)
          The fifth year is the qualifying offer.

Rookie deals:
          http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q49

Waivers:
          http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q65

I don't think you're right. A team picking up a waived player takes responsibility for entire contract as is. Anyone who picks up Bennett will have to make a choice on his 4th year before end of October. They don't have to make decision on fifth hear QO until June after 4th year and can pull it anytime after offered.

I realize no need to reach floor.

Comment

• Good coverage from TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/reports-timberwolv...nnett-1.364731

I hadn't considered the Portland (Triano) angle, but that could be a good opportunity for him to turn his career around.

Comment

• Antony Bennett: 3rd PF

According to some sources, Anthony Bennett is currently in the process of being bought out of Minnesota. We currently have Ppat and Scola as our to PFs, which in my eyes is the weakest filled position on the team. Is it worth it to grab him off waiver for the 8 mil per year, or hope he goes to free agency? do you think he is worth the risk considering his career so far.

IMO, i think that him being back in Toronto and around his close family and friends, will help him settle down mentally which seems to be his biggest problem. Plus, repping the city and the country that he's from has to add extra incentive for him to prove the league wrong.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Like someone mentioned earlier, I think Indiana could be good for him. They need long term talent up front and they have great development staff.

I think Vogel would be good for him, he's a master at getting young guys confident and motivated. If Vogel can't get him to play harder, no one can.

Comment

• raptar wrote: View Post
                  According to some sources, Anthony Bennett is currently in the process of being bought out of Minnesota. We currently have Ppat and Scola as our to PFs, which in my eyes is the weakest filled position on the team. Is it worth it to grab him off waiver for the 8 mil per year, or hope he goes to free agency? do you think he is worth the risk considering his career so far.

IMO, i think that him being back in Toronto and around his close family and friends, will help him settle down mentally which seems to be his biggest problem. Plus, repping the city and the country that he's from has to add extra incentive for him to prove the league wrong.

Thoughts?
                  I like it .. A lot...
                  He is a good citizen.. Keeps his nose clean and showed up to play ball for the national team.
                  Everyone can use a second chance or in AB's case a first chance.
                  The risk reward here is high in the Raps favour.
                  Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Sep 22, 2015, 05:29 PM.
                  There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    Good coverage from TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/reports-timberwolv...nnett-1.364731

I hadn't considered the Portland (Triano) angle, but that could be a good opportunity for him to turn his career around.
                    Fit-wise, I think that Pacers and Pistons could use depth at 3/4, so hopefully he goes there, which might need another team (e.g. Sixers) to facilitate. Portland's got cap space, needs at 3/4 and want to build with youth - that's a decent landing spot for AB.

Comment

• I don't mind taking a flyer on him, as he's a relatively low-cost gamble at this point.

That said, I don't have a lot of excitement about his upside, because he seems to have really low BBIQ.

Comment

• I hate using the "situation" excuse as I feel like it absolves a player of responsibility for developing, but if ever there was a case for it, it's Bennett. Combine that with the "health" excuse, it all adds up to me thinking he will bloom late...like year 6 or 7. He is too wide and too long, and too fast to not become an effective defender and rebounder...even if that's all he becomes he has NBA talent.
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• I should also add that he had ZERO business being the number 1 pick
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Here we go..

#JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• From Woj article:

Bennett was stuck behind several frontcourt players in Minnesota and wanted the chance to pursue his career elsewhere. His representatives are hopeful that no team claims him on waivers and that he will have the opportunity to pick his next destination as a free agent. Philadelphia and Portland plan to look carefully at the possibility of claiming Bennett, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
                              Can't see Portland or. Philly giving much opportunity. They both have a lot of young bigs already on roster.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                From Woj article:

Can't see Portland or. Philly giving much opportunity. They both have a lot of young bigs already on roster.
                                problem is he has no control over that...waiver wire is not his friend

Comment

Working...
                                X