• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead wrote: View Post
    problem is he has no control over that...waiver wire is not his friend
    Yeah for sure.

I meant if he was picking his own team.

He has been linked to Portland but they have Kaman, Myers, Plumlee, Ed Davis, Noah Vonleh, Aminu, harkless, cliff Alexander.

Comment

I hate using the "situation" excuse as I feel like it absolves a player of responsibility for developing, but if ever there was a case for it, it's Bennett. Combine that with the "health" excuse, it all adds up to me thinking he will bloom late...like year 6 or 7. He is too wide and too long, and too fast to not become an effective defender and rebounder...even if that's all he becomes he has NBA talent.
      I didn't have much faith in Bennett until watching him this summer with Team Canada. He was a top 4 player on the team just behind Wiggins, Olynyk, and Joseph. He rebounded really well, played good defense, had 3 point range, and hit a ton of nifty shots close to the basket. Anyone saying he has no BBIQ didn't watch Team Canada or wasn't paying enough attention. I think he's more talented than Biyombo, to give a benchmark. He's an NBA level talent, just most likely a bench talent. If he clears waivers I think we get him on a min deal. We're really thin at PF and our shitty coach likes to play 6'8 guys at center so Bennett seems a decent fit. Like, how fucked are we if Patterson or Scola go down with injury? I'd like a little more insurance there.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        I didn't have much faith in Bennett until watching him this summer with Team Canada. He was a top 4 player on the team just behind Wiggins, Olynyk, and Joseph. He rebounded really well, played good defense, had 3 point range, and hit a ton of nifty shots close to the basket. Anyone saying he has no BBIQ didn't watch Team Canada or wasn't paying enough attention. I think he's more talented than Biyombo, to give a benchmark. He's an NBA level talent, just most likely a bench talent. If he clears waivers I think we get him on a min deal. We're really thin at PF and our shitty coach likes to play 6'8 guys at center so Bennett seems a decent fit. Like, how fucked are we if Patterson or Scola go down with injury? I'd like a little more insurance there.
        I don't know if Bennett would get any minutes in Toronto, so it's really more about him wanting to play in Mississauga and for the 905's than playing in Toronto for the Raptors.

We are thin at talent at the PF, but there are lots of guys that can play the 4. JJ and Carroll could play in a pinch for example.

Comment

• I say this with all due respect to him

Playing a year of consistent minutes in the D-League, really getting his legs and lungs working. Focusing on specific skills, might be just thing he needs to jump into a steady NBA role
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Doug Smith from Pravda (Star) is dead set against Bennett .. says its a no win for him or the team. See article below

http://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_s...ntemplate.html

Here’s the simple truth: It’d be a horrid fit for a variety of reasons that would do nothing of good for anyone, neither a team that needs to show some improvement over the disappointment of last season and doesn’t have time to let a kid find his niche, nor a kid who hasn’t found that one skill that forces his team to play him over someone else.

In a frontcourt rotation with the way the NBA is going now, who does Bennett supplant? Valanciunas? No. Patrick Patterson? Can’t see how. Luis Scola? Fat chance, they need the savvy. DeMarre Carroll as a small ball four? How could anyone imagine that, given skill level and accomplishments so far? Heck, so many love James Johnson for so many reasons, we need to add him to that list, too.

Dougs usually wired in but in this instance maybe Doug broke his antenna in Mexico at one of those tapas bars. We are woefully short at the PF position and Bennett is as good a risk as Ronald Roberts at this juncture. Bennett might have to see D League time to get PT to further his renaissance but if he does and is serious about improving then we look smart. If he doesn't then you simply turn the page.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• Doug Smith has zero basketball credibility.

If Bennett clears waiver you offer him a 3 year, fully guaranteed deal somewhere in the 1-2 mil range. You tell him that between the main team and the 905 that he will be given the full three years in TO to figure out his career.

Then you go to work developing another talent. Simple as that

Comment

• I honestly don't think we'd be the best situation for Bennett because we don't really have a great coach to help improve him and find his niche on our team, as well as him not getting minutes on the floor. But I still hope we get him for the minimum.

However, Portland fans are convinced they are gonna get him, and I think he's likely to go there. Just because of the influence of Jay Triano as a assistant coach on their team, who of course was coaching team Canada and likes Bennett.
                #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• BS10 wrote: View Post
                  I honestly don't think we'd be the best situation for Bennett because we don't really have a great coach to help improve him and find his niche on our team, as well as him not getting minutes on the floor. But I still hope we get him for the minimum.

However, Portland fans are convinced they are gonna get him, and I think he's likely to go there. Just because of the influence of Jay Triano as a assistant coach on their team, who of course was coaching team Canada and likes Bennett.
                  Portland has was to many PF'S
                  Meyers Leonard, Ed Davis, Cliff Alexander, Noah Vonleh, Aminu ( Sometimes )
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                    Portland has was to many PF'S
                    Meyers Leonard, Ed Davis, Cliff Alexander, Noah Vonleh, Aminu ( Sometimes )
                    Still, none of those guys have proven themselves as players who should be kept long term for Portland. I think Portland grabs Bennett so he can be thrown in the mix of those players and Portland sees who comes out as the best player/talent and a long term asset to the team. I think that is Portlands goal this season and the next one. To see who is worth keeping around and who's not. Portland has nothing to lose this way since they know they aren't going to be contending this year or next.
                    #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

I say this with all due respect to him

Playing a year of consistent minutes in the D-League, really getting his legs and lungs working. Focusing on specific skills, might be just thing he needs to jump into a steady NBA role
                      Rocwell agrees with you.

Comment

• I guess we find out in the next 48 hours or so how this plays out. Woj saying AB has or is about to hit waivers and 48 hr waiver period likely to end Thursday 5PM...
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• I actually agree with Doug Smith....KILL ME
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Minimum salary and be stashed in the 905's this season is an acceptable offer, this way we have some insurance when Scola and JJ bolt in the offseason and we can actually develop this kid properly . If we hold onto Bruno in the 905's for not being ready why can't we do the same with Bennett?! dude is only 22 years old can still be developed into a poor man's Paul Milsap. This way he can still be making pretty good salary with the buyout+the minimum, have the right environment that allows him to train and developed and be living in the city where his family is so its a win-win for all.
                            Last edited by Hotshot; Wed Sep 23, 2015, 01:46 AM.

Comment

• I really hope he gets a chance to prove himself. He's very talented! I thought he had a great stint with Team Canada this year, from the Pan Am to the FIBA Americas. This is all Cleveland's fault. That trash of an organization drafted him number 1 (a very questionable move since they already have TT at the 4), then rushes him to recover from surgery/injury - so he arrived at training camp out of shape, let him play in summer league and regular season out of shape which led to his poor performance and loss of confidence.

Portland cuz of Triano and though there are a bunch of 4's there, none are proven to fill in the Aldridge spot or at least are true starter material. Bennett has a chance to prove himself, he's already in great form from his Team Canada stints. I'd want him to come to the Raptors, but if Casey retains that trash system from last season, he's just gonna be another Quincy Acy.

Comment

• Bennett really impressed me playing FIBA ball, scoring and rebounding, and he was making better effort on defense by the end of the Americas tournament. It's a no brainer. Bennett should go to Europe and thrive and develop his game. The game is a little slower, more physical, and disciplined, which can only be good for AB.

Comment

Working...
                                X