Everything Anthony Bennett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead wrote: View Post
    he screens hard, he dunks hard, he can shoot out to 20ft (could be extended). he can rebound very well when motivated. I just noticed a few games towards the end of the Mexico tournament, he appeared to be dragging his ass, keeping his hands down. He just looked like he wasn't engaged.

I think Terrence Ross is a very apt comparison. All the talent in the world but something between the ears needs to change
    Terrence Ross spaces out sometimes but is generally an otherwise productive player. He should be a solid bench player for years to come.

Bennett hasn't even earned a bench role - he's gotten minutes based on his draft position and in his first two years his first two teams have already decided they don't even want to give him those minutes. I think a more apt comparison at this point would be Michael Beasley.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      Terrence Ross spaces out sometimes but is generally an otherwise productive player. He should be a solid bench player for years to come.

Bennett hasn't even earned a bench role - he's gotten minutes based on his draft position and in his first two years his first two teams have already decided they don't even want to give him those minutes. I think a more apt comparison at this point would be Michael Beasley.
      I was just comparing them in regards to there tendency to completely dissappear for halfs or quarters or even games
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• comparing bennett to ross, is an insult to the hometown boy to be frank. or should i say anthony?

Comment

• northwinnetka wrote: View Post
          comparing bennett to ross, is an insult to the hometown boy to be frank. or should i say anthony?
          Well Ross has proven more in the NBA than Bennett, so not really an insult comp. Bennett has a lot to prove this year and hopefully this is the right environment for him to do it.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            Well Ross has proven more in the NBA than Bennett, so not really an insult comp. Bennett has a lot to prove this year and hopefully this is the right environment for him to do it.
            haha haha ha ha.

Comment

• Ross > Bennett, so far, by a long shot.

Comment

• yeee I used to shit on Ross a lot but at least he's a bench player. Inconsistent as fuck but serviceable. Bennett is nothing right now.
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                  Ross > Bennett, so far, by a long shot.
                  Yep, Ross wouldn't been able to pass waivers, someone would snatch him up fast.

Still boggles the mind how Minni just did that but maybe because nobody picked him up says something.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Still boggles the mind how Minni just did that but maybe because nobody picked him up says something.
                    There were only 2 teams who could've claimed him (I think) and apparently his agent was very active in dissuading anybody from picking up his contract.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                      There were only 2 teams who could've claimed him (I think) and apparently his agent was very active in dissuading anybody from picking up his contract.
                      4 teams.

Portland and Philly had cap space.

Utah could have easily created space with nonguaranteed contracts waived.

Cleveland had a TPE.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Ross is only owed $3.5M this year, Bennett was owed $5.8M. That makes a big difference in both being able to absorb him now, and being able to hold onto him despite his cap hold next offseason. Ross was pretty fucking awful last year, I'm not confident he's better than Bennett at all. He was legendarily bad on defense, last in the entire league amongst SF in DPM. His WS/48 was god awful, as were his win shares in general. His TS% was below average despite what a good 3pt shooter he is, he was that bad from everywhere else. Both guys (Ross and Bennett) need to play a lot better to stick around the league for anything more than the minimum.

Comment

• its important to remember when you compare a guy, I wasn't talking positionally here. I was only speaking to what appear to be large mental lapses and lack of effort for sustained periods of time. I'm not saying who is a better this or that or anything other than they are similar in that regard
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• you need to remember that Bennet's agent was actively discouraging teams from taking him
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• He essentially engineered his way here

Comment

• I like the signing, but the optimism here is ridiculous. I want him to succeed, and would love to see him tear it up this season, but how on Earth is he supposed to do that? Where are the minutes coming from? Patterson and Scola will chew up most of the PF minutes and JJ is supposed to see time at the position so I just don't see it. D-league time might be good for him, but seems stupid all things considered. If Bennett is going to prove he is an NBA caliber player, he isn't achieving that in the D-league. Nor is he going to do that averaging 5 min per game for the Raps. From what I can tell, he is an injury reserve, unless he outplays guys in practice. He basically has one year now to revive his career. He was unable to prove himself on lottery teams, dude is going to have to work his ass off to crack the rotation and see significant minutes on a Raps squad gunning for home court advantage in the playoffs. Maybe he can supplant JJ, but I don't see him getting ahead of Patterson or Scola in a single season here. And even if he does prove himself, is there really any reason to depart with Patterson or Scola this season anyways?

All that being said, I agree with others that suggest his biggest issue is mental, and more specifically motivation and effort level. He starts bringing it consistently in practice, maybe Casey starts giving him the minutes necessary to prove himself in games. And another thing, if this guy looks like he's screwing the pooch when he does get time, then you can forget about the hometown support. If anything is true, Raps fans applaud hard work almost above everything. If he proves to be lazy, we will turn on him, and quick. I'm not sure he made the best decision coming here, but I do hope it works out, cause he's a Raptor, and I want them all to do well.

But hoping he blossoms and competes for the starting PF spot this season is like hoping Demar averages 22-5-5 on 45%+ FG and 55%+ TS and 35%+ 3pt and we no longer even need a Durant. Fun to imagine, but seriously....

Comment

Working...
                                X