X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say he signs for two years. Maybe with a mutual third-year option.

Which would be irrational, as you suggest, Dan (in a way). But I can see Toronto wanting to make it clear that we are "banking" on a future for AB here. And AB wanting to enter in to the same kind of understanding with his "homies". Hey, LeBron ain't the only 1st overall that can go home, right?

So: $950K - 2015 / $1.8M (+/-) 2016.

Beyond that ... maybe a mutual option for ... $5M? Or just hope to renegotiate ... hopefully for some pretty big dollars.

And they could have signed a 1-yr deal pretty quickly, if that's all they're after, right?

Basically, I think they're going to go off somewhere and work out some understandings ... and then "make-out".

Your idea is nice, but it's just that, a nice idea. Completely infeasible.

First, signing using the minimum salary exception (which is all the Raptors have) only allows for one or two year deals. Can't offer a third year.

Second, signing a player to a minimum deal means that every year of the deal is the minimum salary - no second year doubling of his salary, and definitely no jump to 5M the year after (if such a year were even possible, which as I said it is not). That would be blatantly breaking the rules for maximum raises.

Even with an agreement in place, there's no guarantee they could have had the document signed for end of business (no contract is official until the league office, which operates 9-5 Monday to Friday, approves it). So, no rush. He'll come to the office probably on media day (before the team goes to Vancouver) and sign then.

The only negotiation will be "one year or two?" That's all they can negotiate (beyond unguaranteed salary and such but I imagine that would be a non-starter).

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
    Do you think that's a problem?
    That was a little facetious. I don't particularly want to have to waive all these amassed rights - ie max-contract cap space is fool's gold.

Leave a comment:

• Wild-ling#1
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    That's just another mill that needs to be shaved if Masai has to go for max-contract space.
    Do you think that's a problem?

Leave a comment:

• tonious35
    replied
    RepTdot wrote: View Post
    Bruno is probably still a year away from any minutes with the big boys, I see him being fixed as the face of the 905. as much as I love JJ (I think he should be starting PF) he's in Casey's bad books, on an expiring contract and unlikely to be re-signed. Scola is on a 36yr old vet on a 1 yr deal...both JJ & Scola are prime mid-season trade candidates to me. If Bennett shows some some form of improved game and role on the court, with the long term value he represents, wouldn't be surprised to see JJ & Scola moved to open up minutes.
    Advice for Bennett: make Scola your fictional Uncle and learn EVERYTHING FROM HIM

Leave a comment:

• Wild-ling#1
    replied
    OK. I'm obviously PUMPED!

But if Bennett can show us anything to dream on this year (and it seems he took about 5 minutes to decide to give back some millions, pack it up and come home, right? Motivated? - Hell, yeah!)

... Then can anyone else see us working the draft and our picks/assets to go hard for Jamal Murray in the next draft?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X