Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craving a deeper understanding of the game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craving a deeper understanding of the game.

Hey. I'm craving a deeper understanding of the game.

Where can I learn about the different plays that NBA teams use?

Also, I can't read basketball statistics for shit.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...carrode01.html

I'd like to be able to read and understand most of the information on that page.

Any suggestions? Should I just hit Google and YouTube?

perpetualodium wrote: View Post

I'd like to be able to read and understand most of the information on that page.

Find a copy of Air Bud

Comment

Coach Nick over at BBallBreakdown is always good for explaining the chaos & mayhem that is the basketball court. I'd say they are a great resource for you to become familiar with different play calls, and positioning on the floor.

As for Basketball Reference, it is a fantastic tool, and offers the ability to "hover" your mouse over the stat label in the charts you are wondering about it, and it will explain exactly what it is and how it is calculated.

Larry Coon is also a great resource if you wandering more about the CBA aspects of the NBA and how teams are built: Larry Coon CBA FAQ.

But mainly, I'd say just go over to the Questions and Answers thread here at RR, and ask away and any one of our immensely knowledgeable posters would be happy to answer any and all questions you may have.

Lastly, Welcome to RR!
      Last edited by Joey; Thu Oct 22, 2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

The Air Bud series is actually 5 films each focusing on a different sport. A little light on X-O strategy but teaches the value of heart which apparantly is Casey strength

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
          As for Basketball Reference, it is a fantastic tool, and offers the ability to "hover" your mouse over the stat label in the charts you are wondering about it, and it will explain exactly what it is and how it is calculated.
          I'll be honest. My math skills are shit. It's the decimals that throw me off. I'm assuming it makes for more accurate statistics, but I'm not sure what .396 FG% means. 39.6%? No clue.

Joey wrote: View Post
          Lastly, Welcome to RR!
          Thanks.

Comment

I'll be honest. My math skills are shit. It's the decimals that throw me off. I'm assuming it makes for more accurate statistics, but I'm not sure what .396 FG% means. 39.6%? No clue.
            Precisely!

Comment

There was another thread where someone was asking about Pick and Roll that started a good discussion but I can't seem to find it now. EDIT - found it (guy had deleted the thread for some reason) http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...d-SF-positions

Asking away is probably the best way to get direct information for what you want to know, but Joey gave you some great options.
              Last edited by Axel; Thu Oct 22, 2015, 01:50 PM.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
              X