Let's NCAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's NCAA

A couple of posts in the D'Angelo Russell thread got me thinking about the NCAA. I want to get some discussion going on what you guys think of age limits/ player compensation/ NBA preparedness etc.

Should the universities/NCAA pay the players?

Should they get rid of that "one and done" rule?
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

short story: NCAA is bullshit

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
      A couple of posts in the D'Angelo Russell thread got me thinking about the NCAA. I want to get some discussion going on what you guys think of age limits/ player compensation/ NBA preparedness etc.

Should the universities/NCAA pay the players?

Should they get rid of that "one and done" rule?
      need to get the chuckster involved . personally one and done fellows should be lottery picks or off to school again or europe

Comment

There are a couple of different angles to take on this, so going to try and make this as all-encompassing as possible.

I like the idea of 2 years out of high school before being draft eligible. I understand that some disagree with the NBA imposing such restrictions, but most industries do require additional training or relevant work experience after high school to begin with. So in terms of pure employee-employer relations, this is certainly not outside the norm. Asking for a 2 year post-secondary training (NCAA) or equivalent (over-seas) before allowing entry seems reasonable.

Those impacted and their benefits

NBA
        Makes sense to start with the league itself, since they are the ones who would be largely driving the decision. The NBA product has suffered. Teams are running out players who simply aren't ready for the highest level of competition because the pressure to draft these guys (hoping for their potential to come true). These young players have increased growing pains on the court because of their lack of experience - leading to some truly ugly basketball. These young players also have increased risks off the court (Jahlil Okafor and his bar fights in Boston as an example - the US 21 age limit for drinking doesn't help to bridge the under-age world with the pro athlete world imo). Spending another year in college will allow them to develop more skills on the court but also better understanding how to deal with increased celebrity but on a smaller scale. It would also allow for better draft scouting, as more evidence to base your draft choice on should lead to fewer mistakes (Anthony Bennett).

NBAPA
        The primary opposition to the NBA, the players association is in an unique situation where they would be arguing to protect the rights of people who aren't (yet) members. Most unions that I am familiar with, want to make inclusion harder, so for the NBAPA to fight to allow less trained members is unique. For the union, less underclassmen in the league bumps the entire age scale up a little bit. Perhaps a few more vets each year get a contract instead of being cut to make way for an unproven freshman draftee. Guys like Chuck Hayes (recently signed by Philly), Reggie Evans, Jason Maxiell, Carlos Boozer for example. I would think that the NBAPA would need to weigh helping those players (who have paid their dues, both literally and figuratively, for years) over helping the non-member players trying to get drafted.

NCAA
        The college game product would obviously get the biggest impact by this. March Madness would be better basketball if Karl-Anthony Towns, Trey Lyles and Devin Booker were leading Kentucky into the Final Four against Duke's Okafor, Justice Winslow and Tyus Jones (and I don't like either of those teams).

Non-NBAPA players (the affected draftees)
        A largely un-discussed aspect of this, is that the players themselves would actually get more popular. Right now, can anyone honestly say that Jahlil Okafor gets more coverage as a member of the 76ers than he would as the star player of Duke? If these players want to really help develop their "brand" - college gives them much better coverage as the stars of top programs vs young players on terrible teams that will consistently be over-shadowed by the real stars in the league.

Now for this to really work, NCAA players should get paid and some of the benefits rules should be abolished or re-written. If a player wants to sell their name for a product/company/event - they should get paid for it (March Madness included).
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Ncaa is like modern day slavery. The players do all the work but don't get no pay and if they were to get some kind of compensation they would be reprimanded.
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
            Ncaa is like modern day slavery. The players do all the work but don't get no pay and if they were to get some kind of compensation they would be reprimanded.
            That's what gets me the most: you don't wanna pay them, fine... But to take away their earning potential as a whole... That's just wrong
            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
              That's what gets me the most: you don't wanna pay them, fine... But to take away their earning potential as a whole... That's just wrong
              Exactly. People are allowed to make money while in univereity. And they would only be making money off THEIR name (video game, appearances, merchandise) the school may have provided the team, but it was the athletes talent and skill that gets them there
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
              X