Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Conference Playoff Predictions and Watch Thread

Raps vs Pacers: Raps in 5 \
    Yes I am biased. Yes the heart is on the sleeve. Now that that's out of the way:
    Toronto features a top 10 offense with scoring coming from just about every angle and every position. Lowry / Derozan / Ross / Paterson /Carroll JV and now Norman Powell. Its hard to see how even with a highly rated defense the Pacers are going to find a way to plug all the holes in the dam.

Raps feature two right in your grill wing defenders (Powell and Carroll) who will over the series wear down the Pacers best player Paul George. Indy's two vet bigs don't stretch the floor at all and the rookie Myles Turner is a rookie. As we learned vs Brooklyn experience in the playoffs counts. The Pacers will take a lot of "shats" from behind the arc but they aren't the Warriors and unless you are this is pretty much a failed strategy in the playoffs.

George's ankle isn't 100% and the Pacers best/streakiest ? pt shooter CJ Miles has a shoulder issue.

Lebrons vs Motown: Lebron's in 5

So which Cleveland will it be ? The Lebrons that took the Hawks apart brick by brick in the second last game of the season or the team that showed up lame against the Bulls two weeks ago. I am betting the former.
    The Lebrons are battle tested and have the best player in the series. When he is on he is pretty much unstoppable. Love has something to prove to the world and so does Irving. They rebound well with T. Thompson and will likely push Stan into playing small ball where they have a huge advantage and will want to exploit that.

On a clear day with no wind the Pistons might have a punchers chance as Andre Drummond could have the series of his life. He has to dominate and make it so that the Lebrons do not go small. (highly unlikely). Reggie Jackson is good but he is emotionally combustible. If Reggie can reign it in and play smarter, Drummond can own the boards and hit free throws and Harris shows the actual vs the potential the Pistons can take a couple of games. Just don't see them taking the series.

Hawks vs Celtics: Hawks in 7

The Celts have to "out hawk" the Hawks as they are similarly constructed teams. Just don't see the pluckiest team in the East being ready to do that... this year.
    Horford and Millsap will fold spindle and mutilate Zeller and Sullinger up front over the course of the series. Olynyk will give the Hawks fits with his stretch 5 positioning and ability to run the floor and even take the ball up court but the steady pass oriented grind it out duo of Horford and Milsap will be the deciding factor here.

On the wings Kyle Korver is going to be checked by Jae Crowder and this is going to be great to watch. Both are relentless workers. Korver will be running around screens all game long and won't need much separation to catch and shoot but Crowder is really good and will stay with him. Best game within the game matchup.

Teague and Schroeder get the task of checking Issiah Thomas. Thomas is the Celts best offensive threat but its the playoffs and when your best scorer is 5 foot 8 inches tall its a tough go. Avery Bradley will frustrate Teague and Schroeder but they will outlast him. Look for Marcus Smart to be the antithesis of his surname and cause Stephens undue heartburn.

Comes down to game 7 and the Hawks get it at home as the Celts got seriously screwed over in the tiebreaker.

Heat vs Hornets: Hornets in 6

Again my anti Heat bias is showing.
    The Heat played all their guys all out down the stretch in the last month to get homecourt. They had to play 35 plus hard minutes a night during that stretch. They do get a bit of a rest but the toll of an 82 game season has to be taken into consideration on: 13 year man Dwayne Wade, 14 year man Joe Johnson and 12 year man Luol Deng. Thats a lot of years.

The Hornets play really well at home. They won 30 times this year. They play a solid defensive game and feature a really solid Marvin Williams at the 4 who can guard Joe and Luol pretty well. Big Al Jefferson will give Whiteside a go down low and if Clifford wants a change of pace he can try to bring Whiteside out from under the basket to try to cover Kaminsky and Zeller. If he doesn't come out the Hornets will rack up a lot of points as Frank the Tank can make his shots.

Dragic is going to make life miserable for the Hornets and Kemba Walker.

This is the first round upset. Look for the Hornets to take care of business at home as the Heat don't travel well and look for them to steal one game in Miami when Jeremy Lin has one of those nights.

Your Nostradamus Views are welcomed !
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Apr 14, 2016, 04:30 PM.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Her's some food for thought, from Kevin Pelton at ESPN

With the help of a formula that looks at the historical odds of winning a playoff series based on the two teams' point differential during the regular season along with the results of the head-to-head season series, here are the eight matchups in order from most unpredictable to most set in stone.
    Chance of Upset

#1 - Charlotte 46%
    #2 - Boston 31%
    #3 - Detroit 28%
    #4 - Indiana 21%

The last thing anyone in Toronto wants to hear is the word "upset" after two consecutive years getting knocked off in the opening round despite home-court advantage. The good news is this Raptors team is better than its two predecessors, and also boasts more playoff experience -- a factor in upsets, if an overrated one -- after those runs and the addition of DeMarre Carroll.

Toronto also won the season series 3-1, though that slightly overstates the one-sidedness of the matchup. The Raptors' win in Indiana came in overtime (one of seven OT losses without a win for the Pacers), and Indiana's lone victory (by 16 points) was the most lopsided of the four games.
    As for why Cleveland has a better chance of being upset than we do?

the Pistons won a pair of more competitive games against the Cavaliers, including a 96-88 victory in the only game with midseason addition Tobias Harris in the lineup.

Harris, Marcus Morris and Stanley Johnson give Detroit a variety of athletic forwards with enough size to defend LeBron James, who went 5-of-18 with six turnovers in the February matchup.

And here are my predictions

Cleveland in 7
    Toronto in 5
    Boston in 6
    Miami in 7
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

My mind says Raptors in 6, Heart says Raptors in 5

Mind - Cavs in 4, Heart - Cavs in 6

Mind - Heat in 6, Heart - Bobcats in 7

Mind - Hawks in 7, Heart - Hawks in 5
      Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

Raptors in 5
        Cavs in 4
        Heat in 6
        Hawks in 6
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
          My mind says Raptors in 6, Heart says Raptors in 5

Mind - Cavs in 4, Heart - Cavs in 6

Mind - Heat in 6, Heart - Bobcats in 7

Mind - Hawks in 7, Heart - Hawks in 5
          Pretty good. In agreement.

Really want Bobcats to beat Heat.

Hawks could give CAVS trouble in second round.

Comment

Lebrons in 4 (or maybe 3). Hawks in 6. Raps in 5. Heat in 7.

I feel confident about every series but Miami/Charlotte. I like the Hornets but I am not sure who they go to late in the shot clock as a playmaker and/or scorer. Kemba? Meh. The Heat are battle tested as an organization but Bosh isn't there, Dragic, Winslow, Green and Whiteside aren't exactly proven playoff performers and I wonder about how healthy Wade is, so I think the "experience" factor might be overblown with them - this isn't really the same team as the championship contending Heat.

Comment

Cavs in 5
              Raptors in 6
              Hawks in 7
              Heat in 7

The 4/5 and 3/6 are complete toss ups for me.
              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                Cavs in 5
                Raptors in 6
                Hawks in 7
                Heat in 7

The 4/5 and 3/6 are complete toss ups for me.
                As it should be. After all.. all four of them wound up with identical 48 and 34 records.
                - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                  As it should be. After all.. all four of them wound up with identical 48 and 34 records.
                  I'm still confused on how that happened. What are the chances of 4 teams in the same conference finishing with the same record? I fully expect home court to be the difference maker.
                  "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                  "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

NBA GAME TIME...

Preview show aired last night and both Vinny Del Negro and Steve Smith calling the Raps to go to the ECF to meet the Lebrons.

Vinny has Raps .. Cavs..Hornets and Celtics in round 1... Cavs and Raps win in Round 2 and in the ECF Cavs going to the finals
                    Steve has Raps.. Cavs..Heat and Hawks in round 1..... Cavs and Raps win in Round 2 and in the ECF Cavs going to the finals

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...edictions.nba/
                    - TGO

Comment

How about some bolder predictions

Raptors in 5
                      Lebrons get upset in 7
                      Celtics in 5
                      Heat in 4

Comment

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...s-east-round-1

Mr. 3 names himself, Ethan Sherwood Strauss is the sole person picking Pacers in 6.

Figures.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Raptors in 6
                          Cavs in 5
                          Boston in 7
                          Miami in 7

Comment

Raps in 5.
                            Cavs in 4.
                            Heat in 6.
                            Hawks in 6.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment