Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Can anything good come out of this?
    JJ usually asks questions about their whole career, so the topics will go from being undrafted, bet on yourself, the championship run, the team post-Lowry and then his struggles this season.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

JJ usually asks questions about their whole career, so the topics will go from being undrafted, bet on yourself, the championship run, the team post-Lowry and then his struggles this season.

already answered those
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• same people whining about vanvleet also piled on pascal during his bubble shit year. all of a sudden pascal wasn't a team player, could never get his efficiency back because kawhi was gone, and his time on the raptors was limited/gonna be traded. same yadda yadda shit that happens when a player doesn't perform. now look where the dude is.

i still believe in fred and hope he bounces back.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

already answered those
          Ah wasn't sure if he was already on the podcast before.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

already answered those
            "I'm trying to get paid, man. I'm not shy about that," VanVleet told hosts J.J. Redick and Tommy Alter.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/rap...214217428.html

Comment

• People are using Fred as a scapegoat for their struggles this year. When the reality is there's too many holes on this roster. One is they don't have a bench. When Boucher and Young are your two best bench guys then what do you expect? That's on the MANAGEMENT. The other night their bench got outscored 51-4. Yes you read that right. 51-4.

Two, they don't have many shooters on this team. Modern basketball is about shooting/3pt shooting and this team have 2-3 shooters. Again, that's on the management. Btw, don't get me started about Otto Porter.

Three, they don't have a C. They haven't addressed the C position since Ibaka and Gasol left. Baynes, Birch, Precious(who's really a PF), and now Koloko. That's pathetic. Again, that's on the management.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                same people whining about vanvleet also piled on pascal during his bubble shit year. all of a sudden pascal wasn't a team player, could never get his efficiency back because kawhi was gone, and his time on the raptors was limited/gonna be traded. same yadda yadda shit that happens when a player doesn't perform. now look where the dude is.

If he picks up his player option I don't mind keeping him for another year.
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                  People are using Fred as a scapegoat for their struggles this year. When the reality is there's too many holes on this roster. One is they don't have a bench. When Boucher and Young are your two best bench guys then what do you expect? That's on the MANAGEMENT. The other night their bench got outscored 51-4. Yes you read that right. 51-4.

Two, they don't have many shooters on this team. Modern basketball is about shooting/3pt shooting and this team have 2-3 shooters. Again, that's on the management. Btw, don't get me started about Otto Porter.

Three, they don't have a C. They haven't addressed the C position since Ibaka and Gasol left. Baynes, Birch, Precious(who's really a PF), and now Koloko. That's pathetic. Again, that's on the management.
                  The number 1 need is not a center.... it's a point guard. A real point guard. Fred is currently the franchise point-guard... he achieved his goal and he SHOULD be the scapegoat. Even if his and his teammates shots are not falling, a point guard's job is to get guys easy shots and try to get them into rhythm by running sets, instead of having a 5'10" ISO'ing and wasting time off the clock. Prime Lowry used to prop up absolute scrub bench lineups to crazy net ratings. We mocked his 0 pt, +25 plus/minus nights... but it was winning basketball with the point guard setting the tone. Make more shots, and we cut down on easy transition baskets, which is exactly what Nurse just said. It was obvious to me... 4 years ago... that Fred was not a true point guard. He followed up his 6MOTY nomination by trying to be the bench PG in the chip year, and he flopped badly... on a talent-loaded team. I do blame Masai, Bobby and Nurse for building the roster around Fred as the franchise point guard. That's fair criticism.

The second scapegoat is, and should be, Nurse. The team also bet the farm (i.e. roster construction) on his ability to teach shooting to defense-first players. It's all well-documented, with Nurse backing it up with quotes. It was pure arrogance and Masai and Bobby bought into the Nurse bravado. The only thing worse than Nurse's inability to teach shooting (in addition to running an offense that is not conducive to rhythm shooting)... is Nurse not being able to play defense with a roster full of a defense-first guys with physical tools.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                    Utah trade:
                    VanVleet/ Birch/ Precious
                    for
                    Lauri Markannen/ Olynyk

Orlando trade:
                    VanVleet
                    for
                    Bamba/ Cole Anthony/ Harris

Chicago Trade:
                    VanVleet/ Flynn/ Birch
                    for
                    Caruso/ Patrick Williams/ White

Dallas Trade
                    VanVleet/Birch/Flynn
                    for
                    Bertans/Powell/Green

lets go
                    any of these moves, I support

In Masai we trust !

Comment

same people whining about vanvleet also piled on pascal during his bubble shit year. all of a sudden pascal wasn't a team player, could never get his efficiency back because kawhi was gone, and his time on the raptors was limited/gonna be traded. same yadda yadda shit that happens when a player doesn't perform. now look where the dude is.

FVV is the lightning rod right now so he is going to attract all the incoming fire but this team obviously lots of other problems (lack of firepower, no lane/rim protection despite having lots of bigs, redundancy on roster, lack of bench production, tactics and strategy not working, etc.). The issue is that it's not easy or simple to address all the personnel issues if you're keeping FVV, OG, Siakam and Barnes all in the fold. There's just no $ to spend on anyone else, let alone that if those 4 are starting you're going to have either a shooting or rim protection issue (they can't start 6 guys). Something is going to have to give.

The other option (if you want to keep everyone) might be move Barnes permanently to the 5 and adopt a defensive system that accommodates that. Maybe then you can package enough picks and players for a star guard and run with that. But that still requires adding firepower and addressing the bench issues.

Comment

• It has to come down to risk management now with FVV. If your going to move him at the deadline you are trading a rental who is playing poorly. Value will be at an all time low. Or you could roll the dice and keep him hope he returns to form and can be signed and traded in the off season.

The big thing we want to avoid is losing am asset for nothing. Masai has been really good at least getting some type of return for almost every player who wasn't part of the long term plans (Kyle, t Ross, Rudy, bargs even). The raps arnt in a position to lose big time players for nothing.
                        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                          People are using Fred as a scapegoat for their struggles this year. When the reality is there's too many holes on this roster. One is they don't have a bench. When Boucher and Young are your two best bench guys then what do you expect? That's on the MANAGEMENT. The other night their bench got outscored 51-4. Yes you read that right. 51-4.

Team is poorly constructed but FVV has not been doing himself any favours. He can't guard anyone when that used to be his calling card. And he 3pt shots have literally been bouncing off the backboard. Those 2 things are stuff he can control.
                          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The second scapegoat is, and should be, Nurse. The team also bet the farm (i.e. roster construction) on his ability to teach shooting to defense-first players. It's all well-documented, with Nurse backing it up with quotes. It was pure arrogance and Masai and Bobby bought into the Nurse bravado. The only thing worse than Nurse's inability to teach shooting (in addition to running an offense that is not conducive to rhythm shooting)... is Nurse not being able to play defense with a roster full of a defense-first guys with physical tools.
                            This is where your focus on Nurse is limiting your field of vision. It is clear that this roster was constructed trying to gain a competitive advantage cause Toronto can't attract free agents or stars via trade who want to play there. So, not being able to get the most desirable players, the front office looks for undervalued guys that it could potentially turn into the next Siakam, etc (i.e. great athletes with a tool box full of skills that need to be honed).

Just recently the Raps tried to get Brogdon - didn't want to play there. Neither did Schroeder. They moved Lowry for Achiuwa and Dragic (also didn't want to play in Toronto) rather than take the cap space cause they knew they wouldn't be able to sign anyone with it anyway (may as well take the flyer on Precious). Nurse or no Nurse, they are going to try to cheat the system cause they can't win playing it.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Team is poorly constructed but FVV has not been doing himself any favours. He can't guard anyone when that used to be his calling card. And he 3pt shots have literally been bouncing off the backboard. Those 2 things are stuff he can control.
                              Weird how we don't even talk about doing point guard stuff with Fred anymore, yet it kills our offense. We're just happy with Fred giving us 3 & D. And people think that $30M+/yr will be a "great value" contract for Fred in the future?

Comment

And some people have been making excuses since the bubble - and here we are

Comment

Working...
                                X