Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris wrote: View Post

is houston in win now mode? i'd bet that the spurs are relevant sooner than the rockets. they found their franchise player to build around, i'm not sure the rockets have.

also teams need to spend to within 90% of the cap under the new rules so the spurs have to spend money anyway. fred to spurs makes as much sense if not more than fred to rockets, imo
    Agreed. That's why I asked the question. Fred has been linked to the Magic and Rockets, so why not San Antonio? Spurs could be a play-in team this season if Wemby is what everyone says he is. Lebron and Luka both got to the playoffs year 2, so let's pencil in the Spurs for that. Anyone think Houston and Orlando are shoe-ins to make the playoffs this year?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Agreed. That's why I asked the question. Fred has been linked to the Magic and Rockets, so why not San Antonio? Spurs could be a play-in team this season if Wemby is what everyone says he is. Lebron and Luka both got to the playoffs year 2, so let's pencil in the Spurs for that. Anyone think Houston and Orlando are shoe-ins to make the playoffs this year?
      whoops sorry i meant to quote primer there and not yourself.

anyhow yeah i agree with you and think that while the spurs are not necessarily in 'win now' mode, their rebuild is essentially done and they'll now be looking to develop all the young talent they've acquired as opposed to losing games on purpose. and if wemby is truly a generational they'll be a playoff team before long. so getting some vets to help the young guys along makes as much sense for them as for the rockets or magic, as you note

Comment

He has been linked to SAS for the reasons you mentioned earlier - PnR with Wemby, old head for the locker room, etc.

Comment

• Limited Upside wrote: View Post

He has been linked to SAS for the reasons you mentioned earlier - PnR with Wemby, old head for the locker room, etc.
          Fred is more of a Pop type player.
          A stabilizing traditional PG.

Comment

is houston in win now mode? i'd bet that the spurs are relevant sooner than the rockets. they found their franchise player to build around, i'm not sure the rockets have.

also teams need to spend to within 90% of the cap under the new rules so the spurs have to spend money anyway. fred to spurs makes as much sense if not more than fred to rockets, imo
            I can't speak for Primer, but I suppose Houston wants to win in the short term because OKC owns their 2024 draft pick. And they brought in a coach that has NBA finals on his resume. I'm not sure they will win despite bringing in some vets. Even if they just brought in Harden, that's a weak play-in team from where I'm sitting.

Comment

• Limited Upside wrote: View Post

Thanks, all I was asking. Couldn't find any articles about it.

Comment

Thanks, all I was asking. Couldn't find any articles about it.
                https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/05/spu...rs-free-agency
                https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...t-18161830.php
                https://airalamo.com/posts/which-vet...-free-agency/3
                https://fadeawayworld.net/spurs-to-m...-fred-vanvleet

But then...
                https://airalamo.com/posts/san-anton...-fred-vanvleet

According to Ellis’ source, the Spurs are not interested in either player. San Antonio is going to take their time and do things right. Here is a quote from the Spurs source via SpurTalk.
                "The plan is to avoid big, costly mistakes, and to slowly build this thing out. See what you have first, see what you need, see what can be grown organically, and go from there."

Fans should not be surprised. San Antonio just saw the Mavericks make that mistake when building around Luka Doncic. Going all-in at the first chance never works out, and can force a young talent to switch teams.

Look how long it took the Denver Nuggets to build a title team around Nikola Jokic or the Bucks around Giannis. Stephen Curry did not win a championship until his sixth season. LeBron was in year nine, and Michael Jordan was in his seventh season before he got a ring. It takes time and failure for even the all-time greats to get a ring.
                Last edited by Kagemusha; Tue Jun 27, 2023, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• Fischer thinks its down to Houston or Toronto for Fred. And the Rockets have Fred as their top priority this off season.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Fischer thinks its down to Houston or Toronto for Fred. And the Rockets have Fred as their top priority this off season.
                    Raptors are so boned without a point guard
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Yup. Going to have to go garbage bin shopping for a PG.

Comment

• Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Fischer thinks its down to Houston or Toronto for Fred. And the Rockets have Fred as their top priority this off season.
                          If it's between Houston and Toronto then huge advantage Toronto.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

If it's between Houston and Toronto then huge advantage Toronto.
                            Houston has $65M in cap space and want to bring in veterans. Fred is the first name on their board. If the Rockets come in at a $40M price tag, they can have him. I'm fine with Fred around $31M-$32M.. but it tops out right there.

Comment

whoops sorry i meant to quote primer there and not yourself.

anyhow yeah i agree with you and think that while the spurs are not necessarily in 'win now' mode, their rebuild is essentially done and they'll now be looking to develop all the young talent they've acquired as opposed to losing games on purpose. and if wemby is truly a generational they'll be a playoff team before long. so getting some vets to help the young guys along makes as much sense for them as for the rockets or magic, as you note
                              Udoka has made statements he wants to contend now and wants vets with championship experience. They have alse been pretty vocal about wanting Fred. San Antonio has done neither of those things. Not injecting my own opinion into it about what I'd do if I was running those teams, just going by public statements.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

We have 4 more PGs on the roster. Blame Masai than none of them are good enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X