• Show
Clear All

• Will be sick to see this team tank season and end up with 7th pick lol
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Shake Milton?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

They played it right though. We've talked about it enough. That 2020 team was worth keeping. They were one of the best teams in the league and then Covid happened, and we had to play without fans and lost our home court advantage. Pascal was having a great season up to that point too. It was a disaster.

The following season Marc and Serge left. Thankfully. Neither had trade value though. Marc was signed for the vet minimum. Serge got a mid level. That's a Boucher level deal. You don't get much back for that. We got Precious for Lowry. Maybe that could have been more.. but he was only really eyeing one team as a free agent yet we still got a pretty decent prospect for him.

The following season they got to 48 wins after some weird Covid moments. Had to play at home without fans for half the season. But we still had a rookie of the year. Maybe that was the year to trade Fred or Pascal. I don't know. It was tough though because we still had momentum in the second half that season after Christmas, and before the deadline. I think believing in that team was the right call. It just didn't work out. And then now we're here.

The only thing we can talk about is the deadline and going for it. Giving up that pick, trading for Poeltl. Not trading Fred or OG or Pascal at the deadline instead and tanking. Masai felt the addition of a center would right the course here. Maybe he read that wrong. But as you said, they made their beds there.

It really comes down to Houston having $60M in cap space. A new CBA clause requiring the cap floor to be 90% of the cap space. And Houston bringing in an NBA finals head coach looking to make a mark on day one. Fred happens to be one of the top free agents of his class... and they want to overspend to get him. That's the reality that Masai likely didn't see coming at the deadline.

But it is what it is. Now we might lose Fred (looking far more likely than ever before).. and our contingency plan will be some form of young guard like Flynn, Banton, or that new guy from Kansas State. And/or some MLE vet.. and hopefully for once in Masai's tenure they bring in a free agent from outside that pans out. I think he's batting 0 though, unless I'm missing someone.

Who's the best free agent Masai has signed, not including UDFA's like Fred? Was it Psycho-T or RHJ? Baynes, Len, Stanimal, Carroll, McCaw have all been jokes.
        Did they play it right? We can argue about the optics, but the entire NBA universe had the Raps in the lottery and auctioning off our vets, immediately after Kawhi left. Nobody would have looked at the Raps with a side eye.

Fun as it was, that season ultimately amounted to one big ego stroke, that set us back massively from acquiring assets that could be helping us today. We were 0.5 seconds and an Lowry-OG miracle pass and shot from getting swept by a very immature Celtics squad. It was fools gold. Having said that… I admit that it was the single most enjoyable and stress free season I have watched as a Raptors fan. But there was a cost to extending the party to the wee hours of the morning.

And it’s nothing like the Mavs dismantling after their chip, because their MVP was still there. Our MVP left and our vets were rapidly getting old, but still had excellent trade value. Heck, I even suggested to sell high on Fred right after the chip (never before, lol).

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          Will be sick to see this team tank season and end up with 7th pick lol
          It doesn’t matter how embarrassing it looks. All that matters is acquiring talent and building the team around the right core and style of play.

For positioning, the only thing that matters is if we’re willing to strip the team of enough talent to finish bottom 6…. which I highly doubt.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Did they play it right? We can argue about the optics, but the entire NBA universe had the Raps in the lottery and auctioning off our vets, immediately after Kawhi left. Nobody would have looked at the Raps with a side eye.

Fun as it was, that season ultimately amounted to one big ego stroke, that set us back massively from acquiring assets that could be helping us today. We were 0.5 seconds and an Lowry-OG miracle pass and shot from getting swept by a very immature Celtics squad. It was fools gold. Having said that… I admit that it was the single most enjoyable and stress free season I have watched as a Raptors fan. But there was a cost to extending the party to the wee hours of the morning.

And it’s nothing like the Mavs dismantling after their chip, because their MVP was still there. Our MVP left and our vets were rapidly getting old, but still had excellent trade value. Heck, I even suggested to sell high on Fred right after the chip (never before, lol).
            We were on pace for 60 wins. It was a really, really good team. Did anyone see Covid happening? That's what derailed it. Yes in hindsight they could have cut some ties.. but with foresight it was definitely the right call.. because that team was really good.

And again the bubble playoffs were mostly crap because Siakam was really bad.. and we lost home court. That's important in the NBA playoffs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, Masai is/was waaay too loyal to his people. Always giving them chance after chance and paying dearly (with assets and time) to remove excuses for not winning - when it’s obvious too many that our core and Nurse were/are both overrated.

Can’t remember which famous sports Gm was quoted on this, but he said first rule is that you can’t fall in love with your own players (and coach).
              i am not a bobby webster fan very poor asset management, he has to earn me back dick and dark is a step in the right direction.

but we are here now and we have to thread the needle.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

We were on pace for 60 wins. It was a really, really good team. Did anyone see Covid happening? That's what derailed it. Yes in hindsight they could have cut some ties.. but with foresight it was definitely the right call.. because that team was really good.

And again the bubble playoffs were mostly crap because Siakam was really bad.. and we lost home court. That's important in the NBA playoffs.
                are we talking about the 27- 45 Raptors?

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

are we talking about the 27- 45 Raptors?
                  53-19 Raptors. Bubble year. Year after the championship.

Comment

• Imagine if they lose FVV and Poeltl for nothing?
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                      Imagine if they lose FVV and Poeltl for nothing?
                      Fred I'm fine losing for nothing. We gave up nothing to get him, he served his time here, and someone else wants to overpay him to pry him away. He wasn't worth anything meaningful at the deadline so just an is what it is situation.

Losing Poeltl would be a disaster and we should pay him whatever it takes to get him to stay.

Comment

• I'm finding it very difficult to believe anyone is willing to pay Fred more than 34 million. And if they are, I'm quite alright with the best fit we can get with the MLE.

Jordan Clarkson maybe, or is he worth more than that? I don't know if I agree that we need a "real" point guard with two point forwards on the team.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          I'm finding it very difficult to believe anyone is willing to pay Fred more than 34 million. And if they are, I'm quite alright with the best fit we can get with the MLE.

Jordan Clarkson maybe, or is he worth more than that? I don't know if I agree that we need a "real" point guard with two point forwards on the team.
                          Read the Houston rumors. Stein reported it seems like a done deal. They're gonna overpay to price us out.

Comment

• https://youtube.com/shorts/-M1VfhzoBqk?feature=share

Less than 24 more hours

Comment

• If Fred leaves and Miami cuts Lowry I could see him come back on a 1 year vet min deal.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                                If Fred leaves and Miami cuts Lowry I could see him come back on a 1 year vet min deal.
                                Perfect

Comment

Working...
                                X