No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick's KC Chiefs doesn't play until 3pm, lol.
    Too excited, eh?

Comment

• He needs 2 go.
      Once the season is done and some players have moved on, they need 2 move on from him and FIRE Coach Nick Nurse..
      Yes, his won championship, but with each year it has gotten worse consistently.
      The development of players and coaching has regressed, lack of communication, accountability, leadership..
      Coaching method, x and o, the favoritism of veterans players over young player, rotation of players, the stubbornness, the lack of intelligence, has no will 2 change his methods, game 2 game, sticks with same analogy..I can go on and on..
      There is no Plan, if u have a structure set in place, rules, roles, accountability..u would c different kind if quality of basketball.
      As of right now, u have selfish basketball, horrible defense, pick up offensive plays, bad coaching...awful basketball.
      Honestly, it's hard 2 watch this kind of basketball, there is no direction, stuck in mud.
      "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
      My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• https://streamable.com/5i4vps

was originally posted on reddit. Interesting insight from Steve Clifford
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          https://streamable.com/5i4vps

was originally posted on reddit. Interesting insight from Steve Clifford
          Just watching games when I was sick in December I would often flip between games and have trouble telling the difference. Seems like an opportunity for competitive advantage, no?

Comment

• https://raptorsrapture.com/2023/03/0...ng-nick-nurse/

Makes real sense

Comment

• Yup, "Masai Ujiri and the front office deserve tons of blame for the poor roster"

Comment

• G____Deane wrote: View Post
                Yup, "Masai Ujiri and the front office deserve tons of blame for the poor roster"
                Yep. I blame Masai and the front office for believing in Nurse and Fred. The roster choices were heavily influenced by Nurse wanting versatile, switchable defenders to fit his schemes and his boasting about being able to teach them to shoot. They also believed that Fred could be the successor to Lowry as a driver of wins to elevate others, but Fred is completely the opposite of Lowry - he needs others to elevate his game.

Ultimately, you can always default to blaming the front office because they hire and pay the coach and players. Those 2 big bets on Nurse and Fred, post-chip, were bad bets.
                Last edited by golden; Sun Mar 12, 2023, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Ujiri went on to say that he was inspired to build around jumbo-sized players after watching former Duke University and Team USA head coach, Mike Krzyzewski, run a practice. He details how, when all the players stretched their arms, it was virtually impossible for the opposing team to penetrate.
                  “Yeah, it’s those players,” Ujiri explained. “It’s clear that this is what we want to do. We look for basketball players, talented players, but I believe that's where the game is going — to have these big athletes on the floor that can play the game that way.

"Precious [Achiuwa] is that way, Dalano [Banton] is that way, Christian [Koloko] is that way, and Chris Boucher is that way; all these guys continue to develop and become better and we want to look for that certain type of player. It doesn't mean we’re not going to have other types but we're going to develop like this and build this team around that. We just have to give Freddy some stilts.”
                  https://ca.style.yahoo.com/raptors-p...233856111.html

Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• But I thought 6'9 vision was Nurse's idea? golden
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

But I thought 6'9 vision was Nurse's idea? golden
                      Yep, you are correct as always...
                      Raptors’ Nurse considering ultra-modern, positionless lineup

TORONTO — Toronto Raptors head coach Nick Nurse has utilized nearly 200 different lineups over the first fifth of his first season as an NBA head coach. Some are out there much more often than others. Most haven’t even totalled a minute on the floor. But there’s one he’s yet to get to, one he thinks about a lot. It’s one he’s just waiting for the right moment to use.

Pascal Siakam, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, OG Anunoby, and Serge Ibaka. No point guard. No designated floor-runner. No positions at all, really. Just five big, athletic dudes playing basketball.

“I’m hoping to get to an even more versatile lineup,” Nurse said before his Raptors fell in agonizing fashion, 106-104, to the Detroit Pistons. “And you’ll say, ‘Who’s bringing the ball up the floor?’ And I’ll say, ‘Oh, well, maybe Pascal. Or maybe Kawhi. Maybe OG.’”

It doesn’t matter, does it? A lineup like that would be as flexible as any the Raptors could deploy. What roles everybody plays would be decided instinctually, on the fly, in the heat of the moment. Who brings the ball up the floor? Well, who came down with the defensive rebound?

If Siakam brought the ball up the floor, Green and Anunoby could space the offence from beyond the three-point arc while Leonard or Ibaka posted up. If Leonard was on the ball, Ibaka could set a screen for him while Siakam and Anunoby both cut into the paint and Green faded to the corner. If Anunoby was carrying the ball, well, he might just try to go end to end.

All five can shoot. All five can create. All five can defend multiple positions. Playing together, they’re going to create all kinds of problems.

That’s why the NBA’s been moving in this direction for years. Why try to fit your personnel into rigid lineup archetypes from decades ago? Why not try to build a roster of pure athletes — versatile, positionless specimen who can do it all — throw them on the floor together and let them figure it out? And, in turn, challenge your opposition to figure them out.

“We’re trying to give less and less guys numbers, to be honest with you,” Nurse said. “It used to be every single time you got the rebound, you hand it to the point guard. Or you outlet it to the point guard. Or everybody cleared out and waited until the point guard brought the ball up the floor. But now, you’re going to see a game tonight where two guys who are pretty big and pretty athletic are going to be racing it up the floor.”

Or, when the day finally comes and Nurse gets to run out his positionless unit, they can offer all those looks in just one.

It’s a new world — a new NBA. One growing more and more versatile, less and less defined by positions. Everyone’s adapting. During a run-through at Wednesday morning’s shootaround, Lowry referred to Siakam as a power forward. Nurse turned his head.

“I was like, ‘Geez, I haven’t heard the term power forward in years,’” Nurse said. “It’s changing right before our eyes. And it’s changing fast.”
                      https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...onless-lineup/
                      Last edited by golden; Sun Mar 12, 2023, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Whats more likely. Nick giving Masai this vision and Masai being completely on board with it or vice versa while considering Masai is Nick's boss.

Considering Masai said he got inspired by Coach K, I'd say its the latter and Nick is on board with what Masai's vision is.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                          Whats more likely. Nick giving Masai this vision and Masai being completely on board with it or vice versa while considering Masai is Nick's boss.

Considering Masai said he got inspired by Coach K, I'd say its the latter and Nick is on board with what Masai's vision is.
                          Or, gasp... perhaps Nurse, Masai and Bobby all were aligned with the positionless vision? But first we needed to trade Lowry to begin testing it out. It would be shocking for an elite front office to be on the same page as their coach.

Comment

• [QUOTE=golden;n1468278]

Raptors’ Nurse considering ultra-modern, positionless lineup

TORONTO — Toronto Raptors head coach Nick Nurse has utilized nearly 200 different lineups over the first fifth of his first season as an NBA head coach. Some are out there much more often than others. Most haven’t even totalled a minute on the floor. But there’s one he’s yet to get to, one he thinks about a lot. It’s one he’s just waiting for the right moment to use.

Pascal Siakam, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, OG Anunoby, and Serge Ibaka. No point guard. No designated floor-runner. No positions at all, really. Just five big, athletic dudes playing basketball.

“I’m hoping to get to an even more versatile lineup,” Nurse said before his Raptors fell in agonizing fashion, 106-104, to the Detroit Pistons. “And you’ll say, ‘Who’s bringing the ball up the floor?’ And I’ll say, ‘Oh, well, maybe Pascal. Or maybe Kawhi. Maybe OG.’”

It doesn’t matter, does it? A lineup like that would be as flexible as any the Raptors could deploy. What roles everybody plays would be decided instinctually, on the fly, in the heat of the moment. Who brings the ball up the floor? Well, who came down with the defensive rebound?

If Siakam brought the ball up the floor, Green and Anunoby could space the offence from beyond the three-point arc while Leonard or Ibaka posted up. If Leonard was on the ball, Ibaka could set a screen for him while Siakam and Anunoby both cut into the paint and Green faded to the corner. If Anunoby was carrying the ball, well, he might just try to go end to end.

All five can shoot. All five can create. All five can defend multiple positions. Playing together, they’re going to create all kinds of problems.

That’s why the NBA’s been moving in this direction for years. Why try to fit your personnel into rigid lineup archetypes from decades ago? Why not try to build a roster of pure athletes — versatile, positionless specimen who can do it all — throw them on the floor together and let them figure it out? And, in turn, challenge your opposition to figure them out.

“We’re trying to give less and less guys numbers, to be honest with you,” Nurse said. “It used to be every single time you got the rebound, you hand it to the point guard. Or you outlet it to the point guard. Or everybody cleared out and waited until the point guard brought the ball up the floor. But now, you’re going to see a game tonight where two guys who are pretty big and pretty athletic are going to be racing it up the floor.”

Or, when the day finally comes and Nurse gets to run out his positionless unit, they can offer all those looks in just one.

It’s a new world — a new NBA. One growing more and more versatile, less and less defined by positions. Everyone’s adapting. During a run-through at Wednesday morning’s shootaround, Lowry referred to Siakam as a power forward. Nurse turned his head.

“I was like, ‘Geez, I haven’t heard the term power forward in years,’” Nurse said. “It’s changing right before our eyes. And it’s changing fast.”[
                            /QUOTE]

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...onless-lineup/
                            I mean, how am I wrong? Masai just did an interview that he was inspired to build around 6'9 guys after watching Coach K run a practice lol.

Drafting Caboclo, drafting or signing big PG's like Wright and Stone....these all happened during the CASEY era.

As for that link that you posted, Masai is the boss is he not? He obviously relayed his vision to Nurse and Nurse just ran with it.

Again, that link that Mixx posted, that's the proof.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Or, gasp... perhaps Nurse, Masai and Bobby all were aligned with the positionless vision? But first we needed to trade Lowry to begin testing it out. It would be shocking for an elite front office to be on the same page as their coach.
                              Of course they're aligned at the moment as they should be. The discussion is who started this 6'9 vision, and you seem to think its Nick.

Comment

• Crazy to think that Masai shifted his team's future based ON A PRACTICE GAME. Smh

Comment

Working...
                                X