No announcement yet.

Everything Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing about last night that told me that Kawhi is far better than DeRozan, in terms of fit and style, was timeliness.

DeRozan, yes, was a +25 points per game scorer, and did it in spectacular fashion through many nights, however, it is the impact of each possession, and time and score.

This doesn't even have to be numbers based, because it heavily impacts the complexion of a game.

DeRozan is a guy that I like to call a "throwaway bucket getter." He scores, but does it affect what is happening right now? Will it have an immediate impact on the game, and does his presence and threat to score truly sway a defence and the way they play you?

Kawhi, on the other hand, did that plenty last night. His shots, for some goddamn reason, came during points in a game where they needed a basket (shed Hayward for the strong layup), needed to build momentum (the three-ball in transition over Hayward), needed a jolt offensively to kickstart their rhythm (third-quarter surge), a big shot (three at the top with the assist to FVV), and a bucket to slow it down (post-up over Kyrie).

He may have shot an awful 10-for-25, but a majority of his shots came within the flow of the offence if not all. Take a DeRozan 10-for-25 night, and those 10 makes don't have the same impact within a game at the time that it's necessary. DeRozan made up for a lot of it at the free-throw line, but... Kawhi went to the line nine times, and made all nine last night.

Kawhi understands the moment of each game, time and score, and not to mention he's the best perimeter defender in the league and a fantastic rebounder.

This also leads me to believe, despite what kind of year Kawhi has shooting the ball, his points will be effective.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Derozan gets shutdown in the playoffs and can't guard elite players.

Kawhi elevate's his game come playoffs and is the best defender for his position.

Its night & day.

Comment

• Anyone in this league can score, it seems.

Question is, does your scoring make an impact on the complexion of the game?

It's night & day with Kawhi.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Kawhi already breaking Raptors records...

Comment

• Man I was a big fan of Kevin Willis. I loved what he brought to each game.

The original TRex.

Comment

• For me, on-court character counts:

Lebron #1 but an azz. I wish he didn't do so much great philanthropic stuff so I could dislike him more lol
              Durant azz. I used to love him in OKC as a great all around player without so much ego but he killed it for me with GSW
              Kawhi nothing to hate on at all anywhere he's played
              Curry seems like a good guy but I think has peaked and the whole Durant and now the Cousins deal sealed it for me
              Davis seems like a good dude and all the tools to be a true superstar. I would kill me to see him sign to creat a super-team

I could make an argument to move any of the 2-5 slots around and be right

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                For me, on-court character counts:

Lebron #1 but an azz. I wish he didn't do so much great philanthropic stuff so I could dislike him more lol
                Durant azz. I used to love him in OKC as a great all around player without so much ego but he killed it for me with GSW
                Kawhi nothing to hate on at all anywhere he's played
                Curry seems like a good guy but I think has peaked and the whole Durant and now the Cousins deal sealed it for me
                Davis seems like a good dude and all the tools to be a true superstar. I would kill me to see him sign to creat a super-team

I could make an argument to move any of the 2-5 slots around and be right
                There are a lot of guys in San Antonio that hate Kawhi's guts. Wouldn't be surprised if boos rained down on him when we play in San Antonio this year.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  There are a lot of guys in San Antonio that hate Kawhi's guts. Wouldn't be surprised if boos rained down on him when we play in San Antonio this year.
                  Oh he's going to get boo'd hard when we play in SA.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Golden State is not Golden State without Curry. Durant/Klay/Draymond would not be that different than the multi-star teams KD had in OKC, and he did not manage to turn those into the dynasty Curry's built (even pre-KD). The whole thing pivots on him.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Fury wrote: View Post
                      Oh he's going to get boo'd hard when we play in SA.
                      It seems as if it would be as bad as when Carter left the Raptors and came back in NJ uniform for the first game back, I think he got the loudest boos ever recorded in an NBA game.

At least Kawhi won a ring for them which was nice.

Comment

• Look at all the drama in L.A, they had to pull Steven A Smith for a weekend gig just to talk about it! Notice when the Raptors are winning they hardly talk about them unless its going to be a diss, I don't think Kawhi wants the drama in L.A at all. Stay in Canada where politics & people are calmer and where most people concern is the high cost of living & the weather.

Comment

• – Leonard picked up a double-double in each of his first two games as a Raptor. DeMar DeRozan had 15 as a Raptor, total. Chris Bosh did it a franchise record 239 times, while Jonas Valanciunas sits second with 132. Kyle Lowry’s done it 89 times, three more times than Damon Stoudamire and two times fewer than Jose Calderon.
                          ...only 15 for close to a decade...good god. I risk my life saying last season that I will jump off the highest portion of the CN tower if he ever gets a triple double in his career.

Kawhi why you came so late...I hope you give us Larry or extend to eventually give this City at least one.

Comment

• On your death bed, will you still be talking about DeMar DeRozan?

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
                              On your death bed, will you still be talking about DeMar DeRozan?
                              Like anybody else here.

People are even talking about Bargnani, Vince, the purple jersey and the nosebleed seats of the skydome.

So whats with this double standard?

Comment

• The double standard is that you're not like everyone else. We could be talking about clouds and you would find a way to mention DeMar.

Comment

Working...
                                X