Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Does he get to the line as well as DeMar? I had thought DeMar was elite at that but have no idea how Leonard fares in that area.

    And your last line should read, "he does things DeMar was piss-poor at (3 & D) at MVP levels when it counts the most".
    Kawhi's free throw rates over the past couple years (FTA/FGA) are actually pretty similar to DeMar's (DeMar has seen his rates drop since his peak free throw drawing days, while Kawhi has seen his climb). Difference is Kawhi pretty consistently maintains (or increases) his rates in the playoffs, while DeMar is basically a random number generator for playoff free throw rates.

    Plus, you know, being able to hit from the field at a completely different rate all over the floor.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

    Comment


    • DanH wrote: View Post
      Kawhi's free throw rates over the past couple years (FTA/FGA) are actually pretty similar to DeMar's (DeMar has seen his rates drop since his peak free throw drawing days, while Kawhi has seen his climb). Difference is Kawhi pretty consistently maintains (or increases) his rates in the playoffs, while DeMar is basically a random number generator for playoff free throw rates.

      Plus, you know, being able to hit from the field at a completely different rate all over the floor.
      Yes, Kawhi certainly is an upgrade over what was our second best player. I would have thought the ability to draw fouls would have been something Demar far exceeds Kawhi in, as DD was always ranked just below Harden in that category. Good to know there will be minimal drop off there. Comes in handy when you can get the opposing team in foul trouble.

      Comment


      • DanH wrote: View Post
        Kawhi's free throw rates over the past couple years (FTA/FGA) are actually pretty similar to DeMar's (DeMar has seen his rates drop since his peak free throw drawing days, while Kawhi has seen his climb). Difference is Kawhi pretty consistently maintains (or increases) his rates in the playoffs, while DeMar is basically a random number generator for playoff free throw rates.
        .
        What I got from this is that in the playoffs Kawhi gets superstar calls going his way when he gets fouled and Demar does not.

        Unfair for DeMar but it is what it is and its about time we get some calls justifiably go to the Raps favor at the charity stripe come playoffs time.

        Comment


        • Hotshot wrote: View Post
          What I got from this is that in the playoffs Kawhi gets superstar calls going his way when he gets fouled and Demar does not.

          Unfair for DeMar but it is what it is and its about time we get some calls justifiably go to the Raps favor at the charity stripe come playoffs time.
          Hard to say. In the 16-17 playoffs, for example, DeMar had a ridiculously high FTr, nearly 50% (the same number Kawhi had in 16-17, give or take). That's a lot of calls. But in 15-16 his calls came at a more moderate rate (30%), and in last year's and 14-15's playoffs, he was down in the 20%'s, which is pretty low. Like I said - not consistently low, not consistent with his regular season rates, just completely hit and miss. And it's worth noting that even when he posted a high FTr in 16-17, he still managed only a 53% TS%.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

          Comment


          • Hotshot wrote: View Post
            What I got from this is that in the playoffs Kawhi gets superstar calls going his way when he gets fouled and Demar does not.

            Unfair for DeMar but it is what it is and its about time we get some calls justifiably go to the Raps favor at the charity stripe come playoffs time.
            The simple answer is Kawhi is a legit superstar and cannot be stopped especially in the playoffs when he is a mismatch for pretty much every team. For all his efforts, DeMar was not that and it was much easier to defend him without having to foul.

            Comment


            • LJ2 wrote: View Post
              The simple answer is Kawhi is a legit superstar and cannot be stopped especially in the playoffs when he is a mismatch for pretty much every team. For all his efforts, DeMar was not that and it was much easier to defend him without having to foul.
              Well Demar can get to the charity stripe during the season but not the playoffs. It seems that at the playoffs the refs letting a bit more of contact and if Demar can't get to the line than his whole mid-range game falls apart. Defenders would've crowd him while during the season gave him more space to operate due to the fear he would blow pass them and they be called for the fouls.

              But yeah Kawhi is legit superstar.

              Comment


              • LJ2 wrote: View Post
                This is very true. There are too many people whom phrase their assumptions like it's fact and people run with it.

                It would help if Kawhi would actually say something, but he doesn't so we are all left to speculate. I still don't know if he is anymore committed to the Raptors than the day he was traded for, but so and so say that he is so...
                Well, there's also the comments from the people in his camp, which in my opinion, are the greatest of value since it's been emphasized that Leonard's relationship with his family/camp is the most important.

                From the things like said in articles like, "he'll love Toronto," to things like trying to make it work as much as possible; that to me is proof of progression since he's arrived. In the last few years, he's never been media-savvy, likely never will be, and most of the information comes from his camp. Since the deal, it seems that everything is positive coming out of his camp, so we'll have to bank on that for now.

                Comment


                • Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  What I got from this is that in the playoffs Kawhi gets superstar calls going his way when he gets fouled and Demar does not.

                  Unfair for DeMar but it is what it is and its about time we get some calls justifiably go to the Raps favor at the charity stripe come playoffs time.
                  The main issue with DeMar not getting calls in the playoffs wasn't the refs, it was that opposing teams could defend him without fouling.

                  Comment


                  • golden wrote: View Post
                    The main issue with DeMar not getting calls in the playoffs wasn't the refs, it was that opposing teams could defend him without fouling.
                    Tyronn Lue fined his players for biting on DeRozan's pump fakes. He also had his players sag off of DeRozan to slow down his drives and bait him into taking low-percentage shots, which DeRozan fell for easily. And don't forget Lue having his players forcing the ball out of DeRozan's hands, because DeRozan is useless off the ball.

                    That's part of the difference between Tyronn Lue, a championship-winning coach who can strategize plans and manipulate matchups to his liking on the fly and figure out solutions that work even when facing adversity or feeling uncomfortable (see: Warriors in 2016, Pacers and Celtics in 2018), and Dwane Casey, who goes completely mental and loses all of his brain cells in the playoffs whenever he faces the slightest bit of adversity and is pushed out of his comfort zone by opposing coaches (see: Game 7 vs. Nets in 2014, Wizards in 2015, Cavaliers in 2017 and 2018).

                    Comment


                    • so I have had this big question for the longest time and I am surprised no one has brought it up yet including on the podcasts.

                      How do you think Open Gym effects Kawhi and his personality?

                      Comment


                      • DerozansSpurs wrote: View Post
                        Tyronn Lue fined his players for biting on DeRozan's pump fakes. He also had his players sag off of DeRozan to slow down his drives and bait him into taking low-percentage shots, which DeRozan fell for easily. And don't forget Lue having his players forcing the ball out of DeRozan's hands, because DeRozan is useless off the ball.

                        That's part of the difference between Tyronn Lue, a championship-winning coach who can strategize plans and manipulate matchups to his liking on the fly and figure out solutions that work even when facing adversity or feeling uncomfortable (see: Warriors in 2016, Pacers and Celtics in 2018), and Dwane Casey, who goes completely mental and loses all of his brain cells in the playoffs whenever he faces the slightest bit of adversity and is pushed out of his comfort zone by opposing coaches (see: Game 7 vs. Nets in 2014, Wizards in 2015, Cavaliers in 2017 and 2018).
                        This. This is the gripe I've had about people slighting at Lue. He has been a matchup driven coach, and we saw it plenty of times, exposing certain matchups and making adjustments as soon as he saw something spiraling out of control. He never let anything happen for too long, which is why he had a ton of those quick hooks for Clarkson, Hood, Nance, Thompson, etc.

                        DeRozan's issue with his game, is the counter-attacks. He has a ton of moves, but when the initial defender doesn't bite on the pump-fake, or pressure him far from the rim, he lacks that reflex to make the secondary movement against physical defense.

                        Kawhi, is incredibly sound, on the other hand. He doesn't commit to one movement and one attack, rather, reads the defense, and makes the correct reads. You can honestly see the calmness in his play-style vs. DeRozan when things go haywire.

                        Comment


                        • TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                          so I have had this big question for the longest time and I am surprised no one has brought it up yet including on the podcasts.

                          How do you think Open Gym effects Kawhi and his personality?
                          I think it'll be the same. Open Gym, while it has given quite a few behind the scenes looks, hasn't really shown me anything new since Rudy was traded. For me, that was the pinnacle of that show. Unless they can really get behind the life of Kawhi, It'll just be another movie-esque update of the season.

                          To me, the question is, how will Kawhi affect Open Gym's ability to cover him? Will his camp like that? Will the Raptors ask or fulfull his wishes of not being filmed too closely?

                          Comment


                          • ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                            I think it'll be the same. Open Gym, while it has given quite a few behind the scenes looks, hasn't really shown me anything new since Rudy was traded. For me, that was the pinnacle of that show. Unless they can really get behind the life of Kawhi, It'll just be another movie-esque update of the season.

                            To me, the question is, how will Kawhi affect Open Gym's ability to cover him? Will his camp like that? Will the Raptors ask or fulfull his wishes of not being filmed too closely?
                            i do think the show is still so well done. I am curious to see how that aspect goes. If he is smart he can us it as a platform to build his brand.

                            Comment


                            • TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                              i do think the show is still so well done. I am curious to see how that aspect goes. If he is smart he can us it as a platform to build his brand.
                              Oh no, don't get me wrong. I think it's so well put together. The videography and editing is awesome. But in terms of what they're capturing content-wise, I mean, there's no standout moment for me since the Rudy Gay trade, and Aaron Gray giving everyone hugs... and Quincy Acy with his head down all emotional.

                              The only other one was when Masai stepped out to give Greivis a call that he'd been traded for the 46th pick (which was eventually Norman Powell), if I'm not mistaken.

                              Comment


                              • ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                                Oh no, don't get me wrong. I think it's so well put together. The videography and editing is awesome. But in terms of what they're capturing content-wise, I mean, there's no standout moment for me since the Rudy Gay trade, and Aaron Gray giving everyone hugs... and Quincy Acy with his head down all emotional.

                                The only other one was when Masai stepped out to give Greivis a call that he'd been traded for the 46th pick (which was eventually Norman Powell), if I'm not mistaken.
                                that was the one where jose got traded along with him too right? but jose went to the pistons for prince if im not mistaken.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X