No announcement yet.

Everything Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you guys think he will end up being 50/40/90 this year?

Comment

• https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.efe4c4c092be

From 2016:

The piece, written by Lee Jenkins, makes it abundantly clear that Leonard might be the most self-effacing person on the planet, never mind the NBA. Here is one passage:

As an unassuming [high school] sophomore … Kawhi declined to correct a reporter who kept awarding his points to a teammate. “Doesn’t matter,” Leonard told his mom.

Of course, that’s high school, long before the riches and adulation Leonard currently enjoys. So what kind of fancy car does the all-star small forward, who signed a $90 million contract last year, drive? Here’s Jenkins:

He often drives a rehabbed ’97 Chevy Tahoe, nicknamed Gas Guzzler, which he drove across Southern California’s Inland Empire as a teenager. “It runs,” Leonard explains, “and it’s paid off.”

Only a Spur could possibly be so thrifty as to value a 20-year-old car because “it’s paid off.” Any other examples of said thriftiness?

He is happy to sponsor Wingstop, which sends him coupons for free wings, so he can feed his Mango Habanero addiction. This winter, after his $94 million contract kicked in, he panicked when he lost his coupons. Wingstop generously replenished his supply.

“You’d think we were talking about a starving journeyman in the D-League,” says Randy Shelton, San Diego State’s strength and conditioning coach, who trains Leonard every off-season. But the player’s hunger is real. He is the rare professional athlete who distinguishes between greatness and stardom. “He wants the greatness badly,” Popovich says. “He doesn’t give a damn about the stardom.” You won’t find him on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. You probably won’t catch him in a photo shoot, on a red carpet or at an awards ceremony, even if he is the guest of honor. Check that—especially if he is the guest of honor. “He loves the game,” Popovich continues. “He ignores the rest of it.”

Elsewhere in the article, we learn that Leonard provided tough defense in pretty much every game he ever played in, and that he occasionally needs to be reminded to smile. “When Kawhi makes a mistake, he’s almost apologetic,” Popovich told Jenkins. “He doesn’t want to disappoint anybody.”
      Again, what in the hell happened in SA??
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.efe4c4c092be

From 2016:

Again, what in the hell happened in SA??
          Relationships start to sour once your Management and Teammates start to question your integrity. Understandably.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
            So awesome. Someones new Avatar in 3 .... 2 .... 1 ....

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
              Relationships start to sour once your Management and Teammates start to question your integrity. Understandably.
              read all of that about Kawhi.... and just imagine his integrity to the game being questioned by the organization. I can seee how the relationship may have soured.

Comment

• It all started with Zaza lol
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I dunno, it seems a lot more complicated than that...both sides come off as sketchy at various points of the ordeal. Add in the media saying this and that about Kawhi wanting to go to la, uncle Dennis, parker, pop being who he is, Kawhi being who he is, showing up to spurs photo shoot in March..

Is Kawhi such a man of integrity that hes refusing to air his dirty laundry even if it means clearing his sullied name? Or is there fire where theres smoke? A lot more to find out as he plays this whole year with Toronto, and in to the playoffs...and free agency...

The whole ordeal would make a good 30 for 30 or made for tv movie down the line

Comment

I dunno, it seems a lot more complicated than that...both sides come off as sketchy at various points of the ordeal. Add in the media saying this and that about Kawhi wanting to go to la, uncle Dennis, parker, pop being who he is, Kawhi being who he is, showing up to spurs photo shoot in March..

Is Kawhi such a man of integrity that hes refusing to air his dirty laundry even if it means clearing his sullied name? Or is there fire where theres smoke? A lot more to find out as he plays this whole year with Toronto, and in to the playoffs...and free agency...

I'm certain he doesn't care what the media thinks ... or even know what the media is saying.
                    I'm sure he's explained everything he needs to to the people that count, ie Masai, Coach, Teammates, etc.

Comment

I'm certain he doesn't care what the media thinks ... or even know what the media is saying.
                      I'm sure he's explained everything he needs to to the people that count, ie Masai, Coach, Teammates, etc.
                      I doubt hes explained shit to his teammates lol, considering even Danny green still has "no idea what happened there". Parts of the timeline just dont add up it its 100% about manu and parker "questioning your character"

To me a lot more is still left to be answered like I said in how professionally Kawhi plays this year and his intentions in free agency. Not saying he HAS to choose Toronto, but if give him everything including a great run in the spring and he bolts to a treadmill like the clippers the first chance he gets it says a little more to me.

I dunno I just think it's funny how the narrative turned as soon as he became a raptor. Now it's that damn popovich and the spurs fault!

Meh, cast la vie. I'm just a boy, in love with a basketball team, and I don't want their heart broken. But the only thing this boy can do is shut up and enjoy the season. And make another 2000 posts between now and then
                      Last edited by KeonClark; Wed Oct 31, 2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I doubt hes explained shit to his teammates lol, considering even Danny green still has "no idea what happened there". Parts of the timeline just dont add up it its 100% about manu and parker "questioning your character"

To me a lot more is still left to be answered like I said in how professionally Kawhi plays this year and his intentions in free agency. Not saying he HAS to choose Toronto, but if give him everything including a great run in the spring and he bolts to a treadmill like the clippers the first chance he gets it says a little more to me.

I dunno I just think it's funny how the narrative turned as soon as he became a raptor. Now it's that damn popovich and the spurs fault!
                        Well, I think that narrative turned as soon as he became a Raptor, because of the rumoured misdiagnosis to Kawhi's quad, and the fact that they missed Danny Green's groin tear. Not a mystery to me now why Green was easily shipped off rather than big contracts in Gasol/Mills.

I thought Danny's comments in regards to his injury are obvious. He has been on the slight decline, esp. last year, but this year, he's playing as good and as spry as he ever has.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Every player it seems has turned it up this year.

Kawhi (obs)
                          Kyle
                          Ibaka
                          Siakam
                          Green
                          OG
                          JV (averaging 14 pts in only 18 minutes!)
                          Hell even Powell has been slightly better this year.

Vanvleet largely so far as been as good as last year.

Only guy on the decline so far has been CJ Miles. Wright hasnt been as impressive but injuries so far maybe hasnt allowed him to play to full potential.

So it's a step in the right direction so far... i guess when you play with someone like Kawhi you gotta step up your game!
                          Last edited by sanyo; Wed Oct 31, 2018, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                            It all started with Zaza lol
                            Thanks Zaza!

Comment

• Comment

I think it's more about Pop than we know. I think Pop's a tyrant in the truest sense of the word. He's been let off the hook for this for various reasons over the years, but Kawhi was just like, 'I don't want to - and don't *have* to - live with this.'
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X