Everything Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    And the only picture of him is a grainy candid shot he didn't want taken lol
    He must have grown up, check out this Halloween shot from 5 years ago (feat 3 Raptors):

Comment

• Fury wrote: View Post
      What was the event? Looked like all the spouses were there too.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
        What was the event? Looked like all the spouses were there too.
        Looks like it was at Casa Loma
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
          He must have grown up, check out this Halloween shot from 5 years ago (feat 3 Raptors):

Belinelli is a spitting image of Kevin pillar in that photo. Kawhi looks like a fairy boy lmao navy seal is a better choice
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Kawhi smiling? but ..but the San Antonio media keeps saying Kawhi never smiles!
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Fury wrote: View Post
              Kawhi smiling? but ..but the San Antonio media keeps saying Kawhi never smiles!
              Wasn't in Spurs uniform and coach Pop wasn't there to tell him what to do every minute.

Comment

Wasn't in Spurs uniform and coach Pop wasn't there to tell him what to do every minute.
                This might be a joking reply, but...

You'd have to think; after Kawhi came out on day 1 of training camp calling Nick Nurse a "brilliant mind" (a scrum in which I was part of), and going onto National TV post-game saying Nurse listens to his players, etc.

As great as Pop is, was his micro-managing the reason Kawhi wanted out from San Antonio? I mean, the mis-diagnosis of his quad was interesting, with two camps saying two completed opposite things. More and more, Kawhi's happy here because he doesn't feel like he's being babysat on the court, nor forced to play/questioned in regards to health over and over again.

This is purely speculation and analyzing the situation, however, it's hard to ignore the fact that's been made available to media more than he ever has in his entire career.

Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post

You'd have to think; after Kawhi came out on day 1 of training camp calling Nick Nurse a "brilliant mind" (a scrum in which I was part of), and going onto National TV post-game saying Nurse listens to his players, etc.

As great as Pop is, was his micro-managing the reason Kawhi wanted out from San Antonio? I mean, the mis-diagnosis of his quad was interesting, with two camps saying two completed opposite things. More and more, Kawhi's happy here because he doesn't feel like he's being babysat on the court, nor forced to play/questioned in regards to health over and over again.

This is purely speculation and analyzing the situation, however, it's hard to ignore the fact that's been made available to media more than he ever has in his entire career.

Part of it was Pop... though he did have a choice to leave when he signed the first time and didnt so I dont think it's as much Pop as people think...

Comment

... Kawhi came out on day 1 of training camp calling Nick Nurse a "brilliant mind" (a scrum in which I was part of), and going onto National TV post-game saying Nurse listens to his players, etc.
                    That was Kawhi praising his rookie head coach. Nothing to do with anything else, or anybody else.

Everybody knew coach Nurse was a rookie. Nurse is not an old timer in the NBA either, like coach Bud with the Bucks. As a veteran player coming in, you'd sure hope that your rookie coach showed some signs of knowing what he was doing. Sounds like Kawhi was relieved that, yes, he did.

As great as Pop is, was his micro-managing the reason Kawhi wanted out from San Antonio?
                    Nah, don't think so. Pop is a hands-on coach, as far as I know, but most of the micro- stuff is done by assistants, like coach Bud used to be, and Borrego who's now coaching the Hornets.

I mean, the mis-diagnosis of his quad was interesting, ...
                    It wasn't the diagnosis but rather the rehab and recovery time that became the issue. There was local pride involved - hey, our team docs are the best! - and the whole thing spiraled out of control.

Then people started acting like Kawhi was more of a problem than an asset. So he implicitly said, sorry I ever bothered you, and he left.

... Kawhi's happy here because ...
                    Because he's able to play again, and among people who show they appreciate him, and who don't act like they own him, like an entitlement, like property, and can treat him however they please.

No matter what happens there with the Raptors, keep it in mind. Be kind, and treat people like fellow human beings, most especially when things get tough.

The Spurs didn't screw up at the basketball level, or even so badly at the medical level. They blew it at the human level.

About the media, the Spurs have always tried to run a tight ship where the media is concerned. No doubt it's the right policy. Unfettered media involvement can be distracting and destructive. There are many examples, including a few already this year, around the league.

When media wanted to talk to a player, like a pregame or postgame interview, the Spurs would designate somebody. Danny Green did it a lot. He's at ease with media types.

Leonard was never the designated interviewee. He's not a man who chats in a media sort of way. So between the Spurs' (sensible) policy of controlling media contact, and Leonard's personality, we heard very few words from him in San Antonio. Which tells us little about how he is in a relaxed setting or in private, btw.

Comment

• TacoBreath wrote: View Post
                      That was Kawhi praising his rookie head coach. Nothing to do with anything else, or anybody else.

Everybody knew coach Nurse was a rookie. Nurse is not an old timer in the NBA either, like coach Bud with the Bucks. As a veteran player coming in, you'd sure hope that your rookie coach showed some signs of knowing what he was doing. Sounds like Kawhi was relieved that, yes, he did.

Nah, don't think so. Pop is a hands-on coach, as far as I know, but most of the micro- stuff is done by assistants, like coach Bud used to be, and Borrego who's now coaching the Hornets.

It wasn't the diagnosis but rather the rehab and recovery time that became the issue. There was local pride involved - hey, our team docs are the best! - and the whole thing spiraled out of control.

Then people started acting like Kawhi was more of a problem than an asset. So he implicitly said, sorry I ever bothered you, and he left.

Because he's able to play again, and among people who show they appreciate him, and who don't act like they own him, like an entitlement, like property, and can treat him however they please.

No matter what happens there with the Raptors, keep it in mind. Be kind, and treat people like fellow human beings, most especially when things get tough.

The Spurs didn't screw up at the basketball level, or even so badly at the medical level. They blew it at the human level.

About the media, the Spurs have always tried to run a tight ship where the media is concerned. No doubt it's the right policy. Unfettered media involvement can be distracting and destructive. There are many examples, including a few already this year, around the league.

When media wanted to talk to a player, like a pregame or postgame interview, the Spurs would designate somebody. Danny Green did it a lot. He's at ease with media types.

Leonard was never the designated interviewee. He's not a man who chats in a media sort of way. So between the Spurs' (sensible) policy of controlling media contact, and Leonard's personality, we heard very few words from him in San Antonio. Which tells us little about how he is in a relaxed setting or in private, btw.
                      Also can't really read anything into sound bites from players/personnel in new situations. Everybody says nice things about everybody, especially to kick it off. You're all on the same team.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• TacoBreath wrote: View Post

As you are a native of San Antonio and are much more aware of the Spurs organization I would be interested on your take with the Parker saying that his injury was much worse than Kawhi's, and how that whole thing blew up. I just thought that was dry humour on his part and sort of ribbing a friend, but media really ran with it. Is there actual bad feelings between Kawhi and Tony as a result of that?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          As you are a native of San Antonio and are much more aware of the Spurs organization I would be interested on your take with the Parker saying that his injury was much worse than Kawhi's, and how that whole thing blew up. I just thought that was dry humour on his part and sort of ribbing a friend, but media really ran with it. Is there actual bad feelings between Kawhi and Tony as a result of that?
                          Fwiw, Kawhi and tony did not acknowledge each other at all before or after the Charlotte game. Green and parker on the other hand looked like reunited brothers.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I don't get the impression Kawhi was cool with Tony's "joke", and Kawhi did not acknowledge Tony before or after the game, like Danny did.

As TB said. The Spurs messed this up at the personal relationship level.

Comment

At the end there I thought he was going to break out into his signature chuckle/laugh routine !

Comment

• This man is prob the best perimeter defender since Scottie Pippin and he shoots 44% from 3.

What a time to be a Raps fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X