No announcement yet.

Everything Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never realized how much size + strength he plays with. He bodies guys to create offensive space with so much ease. He's not just a guy with long arms and big hands.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• KIA NBA MVP Ladder

1. Curry
      2. Kawhi
      3. Giannis
      4. AD
      5. Lillard

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/11/0...week-1-2018-19

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        KIA NBA MVP Ladder

1. Curry
        2. Kawhi
        3. Giannis
        4. AD
        5. Lillard

Already best Raptor ever?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          Already best Raptor ever?
          I'd say so. Best as in highest peak for sure.

Comment

• TacoBreath wrote: View Post
            That was Kawhi praising his rookie head coach. Nothing to do with anything else, or anybody else.

Everybody knew coach Nurse was a rookie. Nurse is not an old timer in the NBA either, like coach Bud with the Bucks. As a veteran player coming in, you'd sure hope that your rookie coach showed some signs of knowing what he was doing. Sounds like Kawhi was relieved that, yes, he did.

Nah, don't think so. Pop is a hands-on coach, as far as I know, but most of the micro- stuff is done by assistants, like coach Bud used to be, and Borrego who's now coaching the Hornets.

It wasn't the diagnosis but rather the rehab and recovery time that became the issue. There was local pride involved - hey, our team docs are the best! - and the whole thing spiraled out of control.

Then people started acting like Kawhi was more of a problem than an asset. So he implicitly said, sorry I ever bothered you, and he left.

Because he's able to play again, and among people who show they appreciate him, and who don't act like they own him, like an entitlement, like property, and can treat him however they please.

No matter what happens there with the Raptors, keep it in mind. Be kind, and treat people like fellow human beings, most especially when things get tough.

The Spurs didn't screw up at the basketball level, or even so badly at the medical level. They blew it at the human level.

About the media, the Spurs have always tried to run a tight ship where the media is concerned. No doubt it's the right policy. Unfettered media involvement can be distracting and destructive. There are many examples, including a few already this year, around the league.

When media wanted to talk to a player, like a pregame or postgame interview, the Spurs would designate somebody. Danny Green did it a lot. He's at ease with media types.

Leonard was never the designated interviewee. He's not a man who chats in a media sort of way. So between the Spurs' (sensible) policy of controlling media contact, and Leonard's personality, we heard very few words from him in San Antonio. Which tells us little about how he is in a relaxed setting or in private, btw.
            Thanks for the insight, great points.

In regards to the bolded, Raps organization from a front-office perspective -- since Masai stepped into the role -- have also been known to be tight-lipped. From a media perspective, I think there are reasons why Kawhi is talking to media so much more:

- He is now the clear-cut voice of the team and franchise; it's no longer about Pop's system, or playing behind the legendary three of Manu/Tim/Parker. He is the leader, and Green even said it himself that Leonard's more vocal than he's ever been in his career.
            - He's comfortable, and doesn't feel like he has to be held back from saying anything, or not saying anything.
            - He's trying to fix face, esp. after the complete radio silence on behalf of his injury and the whole situation that transpired in San Antonio.

Mind you, this is all from an outside-looking-in perspective. I don't think i'm right or wrong, purely speculating, esp. from what I've read and heard, and even being in his first scrum at training camp here in Vancouver. He was smiling and laughing with us prior to the start of the interview.

Designating a player to talk to media happens with every team, every sport, every aspect of life. You're not throwing Norman Powell out there after a 6 points, 2-7 shooting, and -3 game to talk about the victory over the Golden State Warriors.

After big wins, nearly every practice, national media, etc. Kawhi has been available, moreso than what most Raptors fans had expected initially, and nearly as much as DeRozan made himself available when he was here.

Here, Kawhi is the designated interviewee, and Green, on the other hand, hasn't actually had a lot of mic time.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
              Thanks for the insight, great points.

In regards to the bolded, Raps organization from a front-office perspective -- since Masai stepped into the role -- have also been known to be tight-lipped. From a media perspective, I think there are reasons why Kawhi is talking to media so much more:

- He is now the clear-cut voice of the team and franchise; it's no longer about Pop's system, or playing behind the legendary three of Manu/Tim/Parker. He is the leader, and Green even said it himself that Leonard's more vocal than he's ever been in his career.
              - He's comfortable, and doesn't feel like he has to be held back from saying anything, or not saying anything.
              - He's trying to fix face, esp. after the complete radio silence on behalf of his injury and the whole situation that transpired in San Antonio.

Mind you, this is all from an outside-looking-in perspective. I don't think i'm right or wrong, purely speculating, esp. from what I've read and heard, and even being in his first scrum at training camp here in Vancouver. He was smiling and laughing with us prior to the start of the interview.

Designating a player to talk to media happens with every team, every sport, every aspect of life. You're not throwing Norman Powell out there after a 6 points, 2-7 shooting, and -3 game to talk about the victory over the Golden State Warriors.

After big wins, nearly every practice, national media, etc. Kawhi has been available, moreso than what most Raptors fans had expected initially, and nearly as much as DeRozan made himself available when he was here.

Here, Kawhi is the designated interviewee, and Green, on the other hand, hasn't actually had a lot of mic time.
              Another thing is that Kawhi (or Uncle Dennis) was apparently trying to get a bigger shoe deal.... on par with NBA elite players. If that's true, then he has no choice but to raise his public profile.

Leonard and Jordan Brand were apparently "very close" to a four-year-deal which would have paid Leonard over $20 million.

"But discussions broke down abruptly because representatives for Leonard didn't feel that the new deal reflected the forward's accomplishments and standing within the league," according to the report.

Leonard's offer from Jordan Brand would reportedly pay him a similar amount to what Blake Griffin earns, and less than Kyrie Irving and Damian Lillard. It would also be quite a bit less than Leonard's fellow perennial All-NBA candidates such as James Harden, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, and LeBron James.
              https://www.businessinsider.com/kawh...oe-deal-2018-3

Comment

KIA NBA MVP Ladder

1. Curry
                2. Kawhi
                3. Giannis
                4. AD
                5. Lillard

I'm a big Steph fan but how is he #1? He plays with another MVP on his team and a guy that will go down as the 2nd greatest shooter ever in Klay Thompson. And they also have Dray Green.

I can't give Kawhi the #1 spot either because he's already missed 2 games.

Giannis right now should be #1 followed by Kawhi then Davis.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Fury wrote: View Post
                  I'm a big Steph fan but how is he #1? He plays with another MVP on his team and a guy that will go down as the 2nd greatest shooter ever in Klay Thompson. And they also have Dray Green.

I can't give Kawhi the #1 spot either because he's already missed 2 games.

Giannis right now should be #1 followed by Kawhi then Davis.
                  Steph just broke a record, he deserved to be there at least this week.

Giannis can't shoot 3's.

Kawhi slides perfectly in the 2nd spot. Raptors only loss was when he wasn't playing.

This ranking is solid.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                    Steph just broke a record, he deserved to be there at least this week.

Giannis can't shoot 3's.

Kawhi slides perfectly in the 2nd spot. Raptors only loss was when he wasn't playing.

This ranking is solid.
                    Shaq also can't shoot 3's. What's your point?
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

Shaq also can't shoot 3's. What's your point?
                      Giannis isn't Shaq, this is also a different era.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                        Giannis isn't Shaq, this is also a different era.
                        So if you can't shoot 3's you can't be an MVP candidate? dumbest shit I've heard.

If Tim Duncan or Shaq were still around they'd be perennial MVP candidates.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

So if you can't shoot 3's you can't be an MVP candidate? dumbest shit I've heard.

Duncan probably would have been a solid 3 point shooter

Comment

Never said so you couldn't be one but this is a different era where the 3 pointer in your arsenal is very valued commodity to have in this league.

Comment

Another thing is that Kawhi (or Uncle Dennis) was apparently trying to get a bigger shoe deal.... on par with NBA elite players. If that's true, then he has no choice but to raise his public profile.

https://www.businessinsider.com/kawh...oe-deal-2018-3
                              Well he came to the right place! Danny Green has already got a deal with PUMA. It might not be with JORDAN, but he should be able to get big money from somebody. Not to mention all the other ad deals he could get.

I don't know if Lowry would be a big enough name to get a national Dick's ad campaign in the states, but he does have one from Sport Chek.

It's Canada's team. He should be able to land a few National Ad campaigns (I'm sure there would be a conflict of interest, but why not with Bell or Rogers? they technically can only pay him the max, but offering a national ad campaign on top could sweeten the deal) There are so many Canadian companies that could be looking to grab someone like himself; Tim Horton's, Harvey's, a major Bank, etc. Not to mention all the international companies that have specific ad campaigns for Canada.

Uncle Dennis, from all that has been posted, is one savvy dude. I'm sure he's licking his chops with the potential to monetize an entire country's basketball fans.

Comment

Maury even said Giannis should be #3

#3 is not an mvp CANDIDATE?

dumbest shit ive ever heard.
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X